Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a weird chirping sound when I decelerate especially when the engine is cold. It only happens when the bike is under load in gear and especially when I first start riding. I am trying to figure out if its coming from the engine or from the drive train. If I rev the engine in neutral and let off I don't hear the chirping sound. When I am accelerating and let up to press the clutch and shift I hear the chirping sound as load comes off the engine and drive train. Eventually as the bike get hot the sound is a lot less. Anyone experience this weird sound. Chirping is the best way I can describe it.
I have a 2015 RGS SE intake Rush power duals and Rinehart 4" slipons.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will def check those again. Wouldn't I get the sound regardless if I was under load or not. If I am in neutral and rev the engine I don't get the sound. It is most pronounced when I let go of the accelerator when I am in gear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I get a weird chirping sound when I decelerate especially when the engine is cold. It only happens when the bike is under load in gear and especially when I first start riding. I am trying to figure out if its coming from the engine or from the drive train. If I rev the engine in neutral and let off I don't hear the chirping sound. When I am accelerating and let up to press the clutch and shift I hear the chirping sound as load comes off the engine and drive train. Eventually as the bike get hot the sound is a lot less. Anyone experience this weird sound. Chirping is the best way I can describe it.
I had a similar chirping sound. They ended up replacing the rocker arms and shafts because the shaft was rubbing against the head. 100 miles without the chirp so far.

·
Registered
988 Posts
First thing to check is the belt. The chirp on decel is a classic symptom of it being too loose, then the noise goes away as the belt gets warm and tighter. Do this before you tear into the motor.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
435 Posts
I am experiencing the "exact" same thing as you are describing. I was thinking that it is coming from the front exhaust port. When I installed the new header the front flange felt "off" I tested it for leaks, cant identify any even now. To solve the problem I ordered a new exhaust system and will install this spring. (I realize I don't need a new system, but it was a good excuse). 2016 RGS, fuel moto header, I always wanted the V&H super radius, on sale at JP cycles for $509-$569. Hopefully I can get these aligned properly and it solves the problem, if it is the problem.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I checked the belt and it is set to the manual, the sound seems to be coming from the front right area of the engine, but goes away after 10 minutes or so, up to temp I guess. In my illogical mind I figure the heat expands the metal and seals the gasket, but as you said it doesn't do it in neutral. I will check more into the rockers and belt just to be sure.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I will def check those again. Wouldn't I get the sound regardless if I was under load or not. If I am in neutral and rev the engine I don't get the sound. It is most pronounced when I let go of the accelerator when I am in gear.
Does it chirp when sitting still or only when moving? If it only does it when moving, check the belt alignment to the sprockets. Alignment, not tension. If the rear wheel is slightly cocked to the side it can chirp, especially when it's cold. The belt must run in the center of the sprocket, not rubbing the shoulder on either side.

·
Registered
307 Posts
(I realize I don't need a new system, but it was a good excuse)

It’s guys like YOU who make so many guys like US feel normal. Thank you, Morningwood! Thank [email protected]

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had the same thing on my 15 and finally figured out that the front exhaust shield was too close to the footboard bracket. It would just slightly touch on deceleration. Long shot but worth a look.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I had the same thing on my 15 and finally figured out that the front exhaust shield was too close to the footboard bracket. It would just slightly touch on deceleration. Long shot but worth a look.
This was going to be my next suggestion.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
447 Posts
My chirping ended up being a head gasket issue on my bike.
Hopefully it is not that.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe its the slack on the drive belt. I checked it the other day and it has way too much deflection. When I push up on the belt it goes way past the alignment window on the belt cover. I finally found a 36mm open end wrench, and I plan to adjust the belt later today. I will update the thread if this fixes the noise issue. Thank you all for your responses and troubleshooting ideas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts