Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put these on an Ultra? I recently brought my '17 RGU home and absolutely despise the bars. I ran some HD Mini Apes on my '14 EGU and looks like the Chizeled Los are about close to them for the RGU. But according to the parts mag, they won't work on an Ultra. Only the Custom and Special.

Anyone know why?? I basically want to get my hands up a little, forward and flatter than the terrible angle of the stock bars without having to do all the cables and electrical crap. Got a call into my dealer but haven't heard back and over 100 miles away so hard to stop in.

So thought someone here would have some insight into why the LO wouldn't work on a RGU while the 14's do?!

Thanks!! And loving the 17 just need the fricking weather to start cooperating here!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not %100 but i think the pin that goes in the bars inside the bar clamp is on the left side instead of the right side.

If that is the case you can either drill a hole in the bars for the retaining pin, or you can counter sink the pin and tighten down the bars with the angry fist of a god.....

Pop the bars off and look. I have a rgs and the pin in the bar clamp was on the right. If its just the pin i would consider a little drillin.

I am not anyone you should think knows anything about anything.....

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yes, the pin is on the opposite side on RGUs. I wouldn't advise drilling a hole in the bars just to accommodate that pin. You can either tap it flush with a hammer and punch, or pull it out with a pair of vise-grips.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never tackled bars before. I'm not the most mechanical guy. The bars themselves don't worry me it's the running wires/cables and getting that stuff all put back together. Was planning on having my dealer do it but when I mentioned about eliminating the pin they weren't too excited about doing them. not sure I can convince them.

How technical is this job?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have never tackled bars before. I'm not the most mechanical guy. The bars themselves don't worry me it's the running wires/cables and getting that stuff all put back together. Was planning on having my dealer do it but when I mentioned about eliminating the pin they weren't too excited about doing them. not sure I can convince them.

How technical is this job?
There is a post that explains pulling the pin and rolling the bars forward. Its all on there on removing that pesky pin. It is pretty easy. If you can plug in a lamp, you can unplug and plug back in the wires.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went with the Chizeled Lo and brought her home today.

Love them!!
So much better than the POS RG bars!

Thanks everyone for the input!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
These bars on your wheel look awesome. I just brought my 2017 RGU in to the dealer for a Stage 1 and asked if they would turn the bars up for me while there. Which model are yours and how is your reach? Any chance you can post a pic on the bike? I think I may need these. I'm 6' tall and do not like the OEM on my new girlfriend.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are the HD Chizeled LO bars. I'm 6'2" and they rolled them as far forward as possible without the mirrors hitting shield and are prefect for me. I sit slightly back more as I have a Tall Boy seat. I'll try and get my wife to snap a pic tomorrow for you of me on it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for posting pics. For me, the bars seem a little low and I may start with a seat change before jumping into HB. The bars look like they are made well and I like the design. Nice looking motorbike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. I've had higher ones in the past and liked them but decided to go diff route this time. There are tons of options out there!! Good luck and ride safe man!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had the tech at the dealer pull the top clamp on my bars and he tapped down the pin, took all of 2 minutes start to finish. I moved the stock bars forward to where they feel good and will do a couple hundred or 1000 miles before making a change if any. Huge difference getting that pin out of the way. Wow

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
My dealer wouldn't do it. But then they don't get to sell any bars!!! :)
I'm not mechanically inclined either. After numerous screw ups by my dealer's service department, I went to an indy shop. Did my research and the Indy guy is top notch. You should do the same. Jackman Custom Cycle had my 13" Road 6 Custom bars installed and had no issues removing the pin. Hope you find a good indy shop!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do these bars move your hands in enough that they are protected from the wind at highway speeds? The width reported is only about 1-1/2" narrower than stock.

I ride push my Michigan riding season into the 35 deg mark. With stock bars and heated grips my hands still get cold.

Speaking of heated grips, the HD site says these bars are not compatible with heated grips. Anyone know why? The installation guide says something about cutting off the heated grip connector. Can't this be reattached after pulling wires through?

Finally it says additional installation components are required. But the reviews on HD site say otherwise. Does anyone know if it requires any extensions?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts