Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Help me out here. I'm soon going to install my Progressive Monotubes, maybe as soon as next weekend.

It occurred to me that this would be a good time to swap in some chrome lower legs. I've looked at all the options I could find, and I'm thinking of going with the Willy Shiny exchange gig.

Here's my only heartburn. I'll be sending back some almost new fork legs from my 2012 with only 2000 miles on it. What will I be getting in return? Possibly a very used set from what? an 08, a 10, maybe an 02? I just don't know.

I'm probably being too anal about this, but it's making me think maybe I should shell out the extra coin for a new set of legs, or maybe even the Arlen Ness hot legs.

I appreciate y'all's thoughts on this. -Jay

·
Registered
614 Posts
I know a few guys in my area that have used this E Bay seller, at $ 159.00 and you can have them shipped first with a core deposit and then refunded so there is no down time. New from HD is $ 389.00 less 20% from on line stores still $ 311.00.

Dont forget you also need the "Cow Bells" (upper fork slider covers) in Chrome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-CHROME-LOWER-FORK-SLIDERS-LEGS-4-Road-Glide-FLTR-Exchange-Only-Fit-00-11-/250977163806?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6f679a1e

I went Powder Coat Black with mine cost less than $ 100.00 to PC the forks, saddlebag guards and the engine guard and I had the parts back in a day and half.

If you can find a local chrome shop you may work out a deal and be able to keep your own stuff.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I know what your saying but unless they've been butchered during disassembly, I really dont think there's anything to "wear out". If they dont look good, you can always send them back. You can also pick up legs pretty cheap if you're concerned about keeping yours. (just paid $75 for legs and cowbells w less than 300 miles on them - got em' for powdercoating) Custom legs do look better though ... and you get a flush axle to boot! if you're looking for justification, I say go for it! :D

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know a few guys in my area that have used this E Bay seller, at $ 159.00 and you can have them shipped first with a core deposit and then refunded so there is no down time. New from HD is $ 389.00 less 20% from on line stores still $ 311.00.

Dont forget you also need the "Cow Bells" (upper fork slider covers) in Chrome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-CHROME-LOWER-FORK-SLIDERS-LEGS-4-Road-Glide-FLTR-Exchange-Only-Fit-00-11-/250977163806?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6f679a1e

I went Powder Coat Black with mine cost less than $ 100.00 to PC the forks, saddlebag guards and the engine guard and I had the parts back in a day and half.

If you can find a local chrome shop you may work out a deal and be able to keep your own stuff.
Thanks Xaran,

I've checked before, no local chromers. I'm not looking for any downtime. Willy Shiny looks to be a pretty good deal. $175 and they send you the forks and they only charge you for the core charge if you don't send yours back within 30 days.

I think I'll give them a call this morning and check them out.

-Jay

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Jay, do you have a website for Willy shiny?

On another note does anyone know of an exchange program like this that does black powdercoating??

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I called and talked to Joe today. Seems like a really good guy. He didn't have any chromed legs to ship out immediately, but should have some soon.

I left him my contact info. I really hope he calls me before HD_Shock's subliminal message creeps further into my brain and I end up ordering one of the high dollar, flush axle setups.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Subliminal, my ass!

Those look really nice. I saw the $699 price and didn't bother to look further. Now, I see they can be had for $450.

Looking forward to meeting you in Eureka Springs. I'll be the one begging for change outside the hotel.

-Jay

·
Registered
6,588 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After sleeping on it, in all seriousness, I'm going with the Willy Shinys. The flush axle setups are trick and look really sweet, but that's not what this bike is supposed to be about for me. On my last bike, a metric, I went with all the chrome I could get plated, full custom paint, engine mods, etc. It was fun putting it together, it looked great and it ran great. I just decided to go a different way with this bike.

I almost forgot my own rule I established when I bought this bike. "Nothing gets added that's for looks only. Only performance and comfort mods". If it happens to look good also...bonus.

Admittedly, chrome lower fork legs do skirt the edge of my rule, but the only reason I'm rebuilding the forks in the first place is to add the monotubes, so I figure I'm good.

Now, what about the Arlen Ness Deep Cut cowbells I have on order? Yeah, they're a clear violation, obviously. :D

-Jay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You can get flush axles for your chromed stock forks. Just a mere $100 - $150. But I don't understand ... Arlen frikken' Ness for the uppers ... and the bottom gets no love? :p lol

Just giving ya a hard time man. Post some pics when you get 'em installed. Actually, I was going to ask if you'd document the monotube install. I'll be going through the same thing soon and I'm sure others will appreciate it too!

$175 from Willy Shinys:D I got my fork lowers from Joe @ Willy Shinys and You can't Go wrong. Great product at a great price.
Of course they're cheaper - you're comparing apples to oranges ... the cooler $hit always costs more. :p

But seriously, they cost more than $175 - you're forgetting about the cost of your stock forks you need to turn in - those have value. Either the $100 core charge WS would bill you if you don't turn them in (making the total cost $275), or the $75 or so you could get if sold privately (making the real cost $250). I'm not saying Willy Shiny stuff isn't a good value ... but you have to look at the real costs involved.

Here's where my justification powers really shine. lol
Whether stock or custom, I want flush axles.

Willy Shiny ----- $250 ($175 + stock forks)
Flush Axle ----- $100 (low side)
Total ------------ $350

So for another $25 or so, I could have the custom legs after I sold my stock legs. Granted, you may not care about flush axles or want the hassle of selling parts to a private party, but if I can get cooler stuff for not much more money, I'm all over it! :)

That said, if I have my stock legs powdercoated, it'll cost me all of $75! That's makes it a little harder to justify ... but I'm working on it! lol

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But seriously, they cost more than $175 - you're forgetting about the cost of your stock forks you need to turn in - those have value. Either the $100 core charge WS would bill you if you don't turn them in (making the total cost $275), or the $75 or so you could get if sold privately (making the real cost $250). I'm not saying Willy Shiny stuff isn't a good value ... but you have to look at the real costs involved.

Total ------------ $350

So for another $25 or so, I could have the custom legs after I sold my stock legs. Granted, you may not care about flush axles or want the hassle of selling parts to a private party, but if I can get cooler stuff for not much more money, I'm all over it! :)
You forgot to factor in shipping. Waynard offers free shipping. I'm not sure if Willy Shiny does. So, you are actually saving money here. Justification complete!! Get out your credit card! :D

In my case, well, I have 'the rule', so there's that. The cost of the stock legs is a sunk cost, so I discount that. I don't need the girlie flush axle, so I discount that. :). I'm back to $175

..and I still have my integrity. Sorta.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
You can get flush axles for your chromed stock forks. Just a mere $100 - $150. But I don't understand ... Arlen frikken' Ness for the uppers ... and the bottom gets no love? :p lol

Just giving ya a hard time man. Post some pics when you get 'em installed. Actually, I was going to ask if you'd document the monotube install. I'll be going through the same thing soon and I'm sure others will appreciate it too!

Of course they're cheaper - you're comparing apples to oranges ... the cooler $hit always costs more. :p

Total ------------ $350

That said, if I have my stock legs powdercoated, it'll cost me all of $75! That's makes it a little harder to justify ... but I'm working on it! lol

To begin with most people will just put the stock forks lowers in storage with the rest of the stock shit that they can't get rid of and if you can sell the stock junk you have you will get bottom dollar , so doing a exchange benefits everyone . Willy's get a set of lowers to chrome plate and give everyone a great price and you don't have another piece of stock junk sitting in storage. To me if the man can give you a 2 year warranty on his work then there would be no reason to go anywhere else. It all adds up to a good product for a good price and a good warranty. By the way the stock parts are worth more when you trade in your bike then it is selling outright. If you take the stock parts and put them back on your bike before you sell or trade the bike you will get the same value as if you trade or sold the bike with the upgraded parts on it, then you can sell the upgraded parts for a better return on your money.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Love my ness deep cut hot legs!!!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
To begin with most people will just put the stock forks lowers in storage with the rest of the stock shit that they can't get rid of and if you can sell the stock junk you have you will get bottom dollar , so doing a exchange benefits everyone . Willy's get a set of lowers to chrome plate and give everyone a great price and you don't have another piece of stock junk sitting in storage. To me if the man can give you a 2 year warranty on his work then there would be no reason to go anywhere else. It all adds up to a good product for a good price and a good warranty. By the way the stock parts are worth more when you trade in your bike then it is selling outright. If you take the stock parts and put them back on your bike before you sell or trade the bike you will get the same value as if you trade or sold the bike with the upgraded parts on it, then you can sell the upgraded parts for a better return on your money.
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you with logic and common sense. If you want to believe Willy's is taking the stock legs off your hands as a favor to you and your chrome legs only cost you $175, be my guest. You can bet they (and I), know it's more than that and closer to $250.

Willy's is a great alternative for bling'd STOCK HD parts ... even with the exchange, the legs are much cheaper than what HD offers. If I was going chrome, I'd consider them but I can get black powercoated legs cheaper on my own. I'm really still undecided though - custom aftermarket legs simply look better, IMO. You're certainly free to have another opinion. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sorry to (kind of) thread jack but does anyone know if Willy Shiny will just buy stock Showa fork sliders so he can chrome them and sell them to someone else? Reason I ask is because I have a few sets, one of which have 0 miles on them just sitting in the garage. Not looking to get rich off of them but figured I could help the cause.

Cheers,

Trent

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Jay, I went the Willy Shiny route and got black lowers. Since you're also going with monotubes, you'll be replacing everything inside (and new seals). The set that Joe sent can't be told from new... other than being black.
I thought it was a good deal: cost me $187 including shipping versus about 4 bills for a new set from the MoCo.

The core charge (if you don't send him your legs) is actually $75, not a c-note. That's what is on my receipt.

Maybe I'll add a Yaxle... maybe not.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts