Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,319 Posts
Go to any local biker bar ..... 98% of the Street Glides will match that description!

Reactions: Vec and direwolf

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Not to diminish the chrome forks on the bikes above - which look excellent, but have you considered just putting in some effort on the forks and see what happens? I mean, if you're gonna replace them anyway, you've got nothing to lose.

Here's a pic of my fork DIY. Best wishes

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Vehicle

Hey I’m just looking for pics of black Bikes with chrome forks. Thinking of doing it.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 RGS 114
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might consider that because right now I have Ohlins in my front forks I don’t trust anybody around here to take them out and put them in including myself.

Carol said he would do it for me. But some elbow grease might save a lot of money.

You buffed them with rubbing compound?

Not to diminish the chrome forks on the bikes above - which look excellent, but have you considered just putting in some effort on the forks and see what happens? I mean, if you're gonna replace them anyway, you've got nothing to lose.

Here's a pic of my fork DIY. Best wishes

View attachment 443744

·
Super Moderator
11,747 Posts
I might consider that because right now I have Ohlins in my front forks I don’t trust anybody around here to take them out and put them in including myself.

Carol said he would do it for me. But some elbow grease might save a lot of money.

You buffed them with rubbing compound?
Simichrome and elbow grease will do the trick.
Mike U.

·
Super Moderator
11,747 Posts
Okay. You did it all by hand or used a drill buffing pad? Did you spray any clear coat afterwards?
My Lowers are OEM Chrome but I have polished lower legs by hand with Simichrome and they really did shine. I’m sure a drill buffing pad would work good also.
Best of Luck and don’t hesitate to ask for assistance.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Let us know how that goes. I am not sure that's a great idea as I think you will end up removing a lot of material.
I did it on the late model front end I put on my stroker, before painting them black. It didn't really take much material to smooth them out. And I'd wager, it's a normal part of any chrome job ... so pretty much par for the course really.

Just don't start with anything crazy like 80 grit in a power tool. I did some light hand file work (pre rushmore casting marks), then went to 220 grit wet, and stopped at 400 grit because I was painting them ... Two coats of paint, and you can't see shit now; just shiny black.

Reactions: NCPiper and ssitruc

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Not a black bike of course, but enough contrast to see H-D's chrome tubes and sliders. We wanted to be sure the forks exactly matched the wheels and other chrome on this bike. If I had it to do over again, I would do it again.

I polished my own on our previous bike. The look was good....as good as I could get it anyway, but not to the level of true chrome. Certainly an option.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My best bro's Rig. Which is a Ripper too!

YB

w/ stock bags.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

w/ secondary bags with speakers.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Reactions: Mike U
1 - 16 of 16 Posts