Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a chrome front end kit for my 2011 RG and have ordered Progressive drop-in lowering springs. I had previously installed a 19" chrome front wheel. My intent was to use the lowing springs to lower the front about 1/2" using the lower spring kit to offset the 19" wheel.

I was on the Progressive site and reading the installation instructions for the springs it doesn't appear that is doable.

I thought that the amount of adjustment was based on the length that you cut the PVC spacer too.

Has anyone installed the Drop-in Springs and know if it is possible to just go
1/2" lower? I'd be afraid to go 1" without lowering the rear shocks also.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I don't know if you even need to make a change by just going with a 19" wheel, its probably really close to the same circumference that your 18" was with the tire, just a little less sidewall, if that's what you're worried about.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I think you right. The 1" increase in wheel size was probably offset by the lower profile in the tire.

I would still like to know if I could take a 1/2" out of the front.
I'm vertically challenged in leg length and the small drop may help that. lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
Do you have an Ultra or Custom? If you have an Ultra, you can put Custom/Street Glide shocks on it and drop the back an inch. We did the same thing to my wife's Ultra Limited and it helped her out a lot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke with a Progressive rep today.

If I understand correctly. The kit comes with PVC spacers that can be cut to length.
No spacer=2" drop
1" spacer =1" drop
and therefore a 1-1/2" spacer would give me a 1/2" drop.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Man, that's a lot of trouble to go to drop half an inch. With the 19" wheel and lower profile tire, I really don't think you'll notice that half inch one way or the other, and I doubt it will ride any better.

If it was mine, I'd go with monotubes, either at stock height or dropped 1".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really not any more trouble since I'm installing the chrome fork kit, so everything is going to be disassembled anyway. And I expect that the Progressive springs to be an upgrade compared to the stock HD springs.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Really not any more trouble since I'm installing the chrome fork kit, so everything is going to be disassembled anyway. And I expect that the Progressive springs to be an upgrade compared to the stock HD springs.
That's true since you're swapping out the fork lowers anyway, so no additional labor. I'm just guessing that you may not be happy with the ride is all. I know of at least one person on here (a good friend of mine) that tried the lowering springs and eventually ended up with monotubes anyway.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Monotube are the way to go. Like Jay, I know of friends went that route and was unhappy. Then decided to switch to monotubes. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts