Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Cell phone charging. On my 11 I plugged in my charger and tossed the cell phone in the glove box. And lit my cigarettes.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I use it to power the air pump to blow up my air mattress when I'm camping.

Reactions: 1st Sgt

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Charging cellular, power gps, charges GoPro, etc.

Reactions: 1st Sgt

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Did the '13s actually come with a cigarette lighter?

My '16 just came with 12 volt accessory outlets on the fairing and in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
the OP did ask what can the lighter be used for, not the outlet. You can use the lighter for cigars, campfires, branding, interrogations, Molotov cocktails, fireworks, dynamite, and all kinds of nefarious stuff! lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cig lighter feedback

Thanks for the feedback, I read that it wasn't to be used for those things but I suspected that was bs Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I read that it wasn't to be used for those things but I suspected that was bs Thanks
Any reason to think it can't be used for that stuff depending on year? I've got a 2010 and have not used the socket for charging per what I read.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Isn't it usually the other way around?

You can use a 12v port to charge but you can only use a cig lighter in a cig lighter port?

No I'm not kidding, there supposedly is a difference.

Mike

·
Registered
927 Posts
The I believe the accessory power port is made with thinner gauge metal & can't withstand the heat.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If your bike came with an actual cigarette lighter, as many older Harleys did, then the wiring and fuse should support a lighter. I have not checked my bike or the manual but since my 2015 RGS came with a cap in the socket, I would be skeptical as to whether it could handle a lighter. I'm not a smoker so I don't care but I would be cautious about adding a lighter to a port that didn't come with a lighter supplied by the manufacturer. Keep in mind that the ports are mounted in plastic, high heat could warp the surrounding area.
As a side note, I bought a cell phone charging adapter for my android phone at Best Buys that is listed as a 3' cord but is coiled and when not stretched is only about 14-15" long. It works perfectly with the port and my left side handlebar mounted cell phone holder on the RGS.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have a 2013 ultra and it came with a lighter. What I have discovered is that I can either use the port as a lighter, (works great for cigars and ALL of the other nefarious applications i started earlier in this thread.) It also doubles as a power port for any device that uses USB, if you have an adaptor. The problem is it isn't shielded. What this means is if you use it to power your phone or iPod, and you are playing music thru the OEM head unit, you will get electrical interference from
the stator. I fixed this by piggy backing off the power wires and installed a shielded power port just for devices. Now I can light shit and listen to music at the same time!.

Reactions: riverdave1

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't even use mine, but the other day out on the highway doing 75 it decided it wanted a new home and it abanded ship. so now I don't have one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts