Road Glide banner

Circuit Additions

9K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  cobra206 
#1 ·
I have recently added a bunch of electrical accessories to my 2012 Road glide. Hard Wired GPS, Internal Antenna, Additional 12 Volt Accessory port. Right now all of the above are wired to the stock 12v accessory port. I am concerned that under some instances i might over load that circuit.

From what i know (and i could be wrong) that circuit is on a 15amp fuse wired to the bikes fuse box.

i want to clean up the wiring in my fairing by moving the wiring from the GPS ( which is currently just bunched up and wire tired to the radio harness) along the back bone, thereby cleaning up the fairing. I want to run the wire into the fuse box eliminating the inline 7.5amp fuse and adding a 7.5amp fuse port into my fuse box in an empty spot.

I understand that this isn't really necessary but i don't like seeing all those wires bunched up in my fairing.

My questions are:
1. Is it possible to add a switched circuit to the fuse box without any major modifications to the bike?
2. Should i consider purchasing an additional fuse box to place in the fairing instead of just tapping off the 12v switched circuit (12v accessory port)?
3. Am i asking for trouble to keep running all my accessories off that one circuit?

My thinking is if in the event i need to change a blown fuse i would rather remove the seat than the fairing... also i plan on adding more electrical items (leds on the body and speakers) so i just want to make sure i am not going to overload that particular circuit....

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated...

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I installed 2 20 amp relays with a fuse running each supply wire from the battery into my fairing. One is switched from the ignition, the other from the accessory switch. It is not to difficult if you are pretty good with wiring. I haven't had an issue yet. ( hopefully I don't jinx myself)

#4 ·
Thanks TripleJ, that website was very helpful. I might have to invest in one of their units.

Does anyone know how to add a fuse/circuit to the existing fuse box?... i would preferably like to keep all my fuses under the seat for easy access.

If i go with the FZ-1 fuse box, what wires would i tap for the switched circuit? i assume i could use the 12v accessory port +lead or do i have to use the orange wire pigtail from the headlight harness?

#8 ·
Does anyone know how to add a fuse/circuit to the existing fuse box?... i would preferably like to keep all my fuses under the seat for easy access.

I did this when I installed HD heated grips. It really isn't too difficult. You'll need to attach a fuse connector to the end of your switched power wire and insert it into the fuse block. Take a look at the diagram on the fuse block cover to see which ports are available for the amperage you need.

I have to admit, this was easy for me because the instructions told me which port to use. Be careful. Screwing up electrical is very easy and only has to happen once to FUBAR a bike.

The aftermarket fuse block looks like a great option to me. You could install it under the seat for convenience and extend the wires to the added accessories. The great thing about the added fuse block is that if it fries, you can disconnect it, throw it away and the bike is back to original.

#6 ·
I know a good bit about wiring/electronics....let me be a bit more vocal than BigTrev8xl........NEVER increase a fused circuits fuse! You open yourself up for a fire!!!I"
Let me state the overly obvious.....the reason the fuse is in there is to protect you from exactly that!!! And if it came from the dealer/factory/store whatever with the fuse in it.....USE that fuse exclusively!

Trust me brother.....you get a LONG time...(a millisecond in reality) to wonder if your "Boys" are gonna go "Toasted" on you if you get a fire while cruisin' down the interstate!!!

and DON'T ask me how I know!!!......suffice it to say.....that was BEFORE I knew a lot about wiring!!! LOL!!!

#15 ·
I found this exact fuse block at a local auto parts store in NE Texas ( Autozone ) for 8 bucks. It didn't have the the power wire already connected but a 15 cent ring terminal and a short piece of 12 gage wire is all ya need.
I mounted this on a 04 SG inside the left side cover. Also added a dedicated ground by taping into the sheet metal that the fuse block is mounted to and adding a small stud with locking nuts. Wired it via a relay to the horn circuit .
Powered an air horn compressor , gerbing electric gloves, and a 300 watt Rockford Fosgate amp with no trouble.

#9 ·
#10 ·
+1 on the EasternBeaver. Very good quality. I am afraid to add accessories by tapping into other lines. A switchable fuse block is the BEST way to power up accessories. The PC-8 also has two circuits that are not switchable. This is nice for charging the phone in the saddlebag while you are away from the bike.

#11 ·
My questions are:
1. Is it possible to add a switched circuit to the fuse box without any major modifications to the bike?
2. Should i consider purchasing an additional fuse box to place in the fairing instead of just tapping off the 12v switched circuit (12v accessory port)?
3. Am i asking for trouble to keep running all my accessories off that one circuit?

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated...
To answer your questions;
Your GPS can go straight to your bikes fuse board there is a spare fuse for it.

1, Yes; same as for GPS, there (I think) are two spare fuse positions on the HD fuse board.

2, Work out the circuit loading for the electrics you have installed from the manufactures information (amps per device).

3, Again depends on 2 above, however, having one circuit supply means all on or all off if there’s a problem.

Hope this helps.

#12 ·
If I were to add as much as you have I think I'd probably opt for a second fuse box inside the fairing or behind a side cover. Hell I worry about my heated gear causing a fire because it's running off an inline fuse. Regardless of the path the factory wiring is rated for what each fuse slot is supposed to be, and increasing a 10 amp fuse slot to a 15 amp fuse will make the wire for that circuit the fault point and most likely melt it or worse cause a fire.

#20 ·
bumping an old thread to see how things turned out. Planning on adding before I button things up this spring.

D.

Sorry for the long delay. I ended up getting the PDM60 electronic distribution module. Will be installing it this weekend (time willing)

It seemed to be the best option. Not cheap but eliminates the need for fuses...

Check it out at http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules

Here is a stock pic of the unit. I'm very excited to install it... Technology Electronic device Electronic component

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.