Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever use a clay bar?
Does it do everything they claim it does?
Thanks,

Kudu40

·
Shark of the Month December 2013
679 Posts
Yes and YES. but a motorcycle honestly shouldnt need it. Clay bar is more for transportation dust like rail dust and such that is in the paint. I just claybared my wifes car this last weekend and it got rid of everything you could see. How to tell if you need to clay bar is to put your hand in a ziplock baggy and run it over the clean surface. If its rough and gritty then clay bar it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm not sure what "everything they claim" is, but I have used clay bars many times and it always helps. I agree the Ziploc bag test is a good way to determine if you need to clay it. But besides picking up contaminants, the clay is good for removing oxidized paint on older vehicles. Your results will vary depending on the condition of your finish (I use clay on chrome and glass as well as paint), but I clay every time I wax/polish in order to maximize results.
Check this out for the bag test (1 minute in):

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mother's makes a kit with everything you need. Enough to do the bike twice. Good kit for beginners...

·
Shark of the Month December 2013
679 Posts
I would go to Adamspolishes.com. That is all the products i use on my bikes and cars. very good people and quality product.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I used the Mother's kit on my truck to get the tree sap off. Worked great. Then a couple years later the clear coat started peeling off, probably didn't wax it enough afterwards. So keep that in mind, it strips everything off your paint.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
another vote for adams!

....and another.

I used clay for the first time this spring, Meguires that I bought at WallyWorld, worked OK but I wasn't super impressed. While working on the same job my crappy old buffer took a dump. I had been eyeing Adam's kits with the the Cyclo polishers for a couple years, decided it was time to get one.

Along with the kit came some of their clay bar, which I then tried on another car. HUGE difference, I was picking up far more crud with the Adam's clay, so much so that I went back and re-did the first car and got more crud off than the first time.

I used it on the bike, backs of my saddle bags had felt like sand paper, little lumps of crud that wouldn't wash off, wouldn't come off with any of my normal cleaners. The clay and detail spray took it right off.

Yes, clay works.

This summer I've nearly become obsessed with detailing and clean cars. I detailed a Jeep Liberty and an F150 in order to sell them, when I got done I was wondering why i was selling them. Both sold for good money to the first people that looked at them.
It's work, it takes time, but it's satisfying when it's done. Only problem now is that Adam's is getting a crap load of my money.(hint, gallons are WAY cheaper)

http://www.adamspolishes.com/

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would think you could use it on the pipes, I love using it on glass (truck windows) its perfectly clean when your done

1 - 14 of 14 Posts