Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this post by saying that I have chronic dry eye syndrome, and keeping as much air movement off my eyes is crucial for me. I ride with good foam-sealing glasses (Penoptx 7Eye), but a good windshield is a must.

For reference, I'm 6'3", 33" inseam (tall torso) and currently sitting on a Harley Reach Seat (what came on the bike).

There is currently a Harley 15" Wind Splitter shield on my bike, and it seems to be putting air directly into my face. I get zero buffeting with this bike/setup - all clean air. I am thinking I can do better with a different shield, and have been reading a lot on here about WindVest shields.

According to the WV website, a 6'3" rider should opt for the 12" shield. That doesn't seem like enough, but I don't want to be looking through the shield or have the edge in my line of sight. I also don't want to order a shorter size, then because I change my seat in the future, have to order a larger screen.

Can anyone similar to my size and setup offer an input? I really wish I could try these out before dropping the coin on them. Does WindVest allow you to exchange sizes if you order one that doesn't fit quite right? Are there any other reasonably priced shields that would work for me?

·
Registered
967 Posts
After three shields best money spend on Madstad shield. Also can be adjusted an option no other offer.
Due to your condition best will be a full face helmet.
Good luck.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you're wanting clean air and adjustability, the Madstad is your answer. Good luck.

Reactions: Wharf Rat and RGKen

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I recommend MadStad
Another vote for what they said...^^^^

With your condition the Madstad is the very best option bar none. Don't listen to any nay sayer's about looks because in your case, and many others, functionality is priority and no other windshield compares. At your height I would suggest the 14.5" shield but may get by with the 13". I am 6'1" and use the 11" mostly but occasionally run a 13" in the cooler months. With the 13" adjusted up some I could ride with no eye protection at all if I wanted and I also have had some dry eye issues since my Lasik surgery a few years back. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another vote for what they said...^^^^

With your condition the Madstad is the very best option bar none. Don't listen to any nay sayer's about looks because in your case, and many others, functionality is priority and no other windshield compares. At your height I would suggest the 14.5" shield but may get by with the 13". I am 6'1" and use the 11" mostly but occasionally run a 13" in the cooler months. With the 13" adjusted up some I could ride with no eye protection at all if I wanted and I also have had some dry eye issues since my Lasik surgery a few years back. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.
RGKen, that is what caused my issues as well (PRK, not Lasik). I wish I would have never had the surgery done :(

I have looked at the Madstad and I really don't like the look and the price is really expensive. But like you said, that may not matter as much as comfort.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
654 Posts
I had exactly the same experience you had with the Windsplitter. The air hit my helmet visor so hard it would flip it up or down. With the visor up it would vibrate my eye glasses. It was on the bike for a demo ride only.
If you are electing to go with Windvest get at least a 16 inch for you height. I have a 13 inch. I am 5'9". It is much better than the Windsplitter.
If you want to get an exceptional windshield though get a Madstad. I have a 14.5 inch that is lower than the Windvest when down to the lowest setting. At the highest setting I am looking through it. No buffeting.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have looked at the Madstad and I really don't like the look and the price is really expensive. But like you said, that may not matter as much as comfort.
When I purchased mine a couple years back, they had a 60 day money back guarantee if you didn't like it. Don't worry about the looks, once you ride behind it, you'll forget all about that.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts

Back in 2011 when I bought my 08 Roadie it came with the stock shield which is pretty much useless. I had been on this forum doing research on what kind of shield to get and noticed how many people on here had already laid out tons of $$$ finding the right shield. Anyway I was one more than likely one of the first five to purchase a Madstad. I figured if I paid $350 for one shield that worked I was better off then the ones who had $500 or more tied up in shields sitting in there garage. Also have one on my 09 FLTRSE3. I like the look myself, but as far as functionality goes it does what it's suppose to do. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am 6'2'' and have a KW 15" pro tour on my 2015. If I had the issues you do I would get the Madstead and not think twice about it.
I don't necessarily like the look of it just like I don't like the look of my Panoptix glasses but they are functional and do what they are supposed to.
I agree with the above although expensive it is the windshield of choice when you need total air control.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Ride high.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I have no experience with Madstad. I have a 2015 RGS with a Mustang seat. I'm 5' 11&1/2", 32" inseam. I'm running a 13" Freedom shield and look way over it. I probably could've gone to a 15" and looked over it. Fit, finish & looks are superb, and it functions extremely well.
Give John @ Freedom a call. He'll have suggestions for you. FYI, forum members get a discount.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Let me preface this post by saying that I have chronic dry eye syndrome, and keeping as much air movement off my eyes is crucial for me. I ride with good foam-sealing glasses (Penoptx 7Eye), but a good windshield is a must.

For reference, I'm 6'3", 33" inseam (tall torso) and currently sitting on a Harley Reach Seat (what came on the bike).

There is currently a Harley 15" Wind Splitter shield on my bike, and it seems to be putting air directly into my face. I get zero buffeting with this bike/setup - all clean air. I am thinking I can do better with a different shield, and have been reading a lot on here about WindVest shields.

According to the WV website, a 6'3" rider should opt for the 12" shield. That doesn't seem like enough, but I don't want to be looking through the shield or have the edge in my line of sight. I also don't want to order a shorter size, then because I change my seat in the future, have to order a larger screen.

Can anyone similar to my size and setup offer an input? I really wish I could try these out before dropping the coin on them. Does WindVest allow you to exchange sizes if you order one that doesn't fit quite right? Are there any other reasonably priced shields that would work for me?
What year is your bike?

·
Registered
454 Posts
After three shields best money spend on Madstad shield. Also can be adjusted an option no other offer.
Due to your condition best will be a full face helmet.
Good luck.
Madstad first, last and always. Ordered on this morning, call and talk to Patty and she will fix you up. 352-848-3646. When sheeple tell you it's ugly, tell 'em to piss off!

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
I like the looks of the MadStad on pre Rushmore RG but I think they look even better on the Rushmore. I personally think the other windshields that have the curved lip at the top are ugly.

I went with a 11" dark smoke on my '15 RG

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
501 Posts
Give John at Freedom shields a call. I just replaced my old wind vest with his and I'm very impressed with the quality and performance!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Give John at Freedom shields a call. I just replaced my old wind vest with his and I'm very impressed with the quality and performance!
rideon, what made you switch from your WV to a Freedom? What sizes were/are they, and how tall are you? Are you completely protected from direct wind with the Freedom?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'll join the Madstad chorus. You can mess around with a bunch of other shields, or you can buy one that does everything and works better.

·
Registered
501 Posts
rideon, what made you switch from your WV to a Freedom? What sizes were/are they, and how tall are you? Are you completely protected from direct wind with the Freedom?
I just thought I would try one from the rave reviews. There is nothing wrong with the wind vest and it worked fine. The Freedom is much more distortion free and seems to have a little cleaner air for me. I bought the 15" clear, I'm 6'2" 34" inseam. Your bikes fairing will be in a higher position than mine though. John has absolutely the best customer service and I'm sure he could give you some good advice on height.Wind is very clean for me but I also have lowers which make a huge difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts