Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing to swap out the fueling system from one tank to another. Any recommendations on what to clean the new tank out with since it's been recently sealed and pressurized? Thx

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
I'm preparing to swap out the fueling system from one tank to another. Any recommendations on what to clean the new tank out with since it's been recently sealed and pressurized? Thx

Gas! Lol I just washed mine out with gas to get any dust out and called it good :D

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
Sic to the rescue....That was my first choice.. But wasn't sure. This learn-as-you-go bike building in mentally tiring.. LoL

LOL I just figured gas was what was going to be in there and I wouldn't have to worry about trying to get 100% of "some cleaner" out :p never had an issue on any of the bikes with this method

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Gasoline to rinse out the tank.

I find it easier to undo that cam ring while the tank is bolted to the frame, the rest can be done with the tank off the bike.

The guts are not difficult to remove but do require some patience. After you remove cam ring the next difficult thing to remove is the black grounding wire, feel for the tag or clip make sure it is depressed then the wire will slide out.

Remove the two hoses from the filter housing, one is the pickup hose for the pump and the other is the delivery hose to exit the tank. The filler/filter assembly should now come out of the tank. Lift the assembly and turn it clockwise and rotate it 90° from the horizontal so the gas cap would be facing the rear of the bike. Do this in one motion.

The remainder of the apparatus is clipped into slots in the tank. This includes sending level float and the pickup hose as well as the pump assembly. Undo the pickup hose first, then unclip the fuel pump and the float. You will have to rotate them as well to remove them. I don't recall which way I rotated them for removal.

When you remove the fitting from the bottom of the old tank be sure to reach into the tank and turn the hose that is connected to the fitting with your other hand. If you don't the hose can kink and split and that results in rough running and less than optimal acceleration

Put in a new fuel filter and o ring on the filter housing before you install in in the new tank. Put it all back together in reverse order. Make sure the cam ring is install with the word "TOP" facing up and at the front of the tank.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for the detailed instructions. I will attempt it tonight. I already removed the cam ring with a Lang tool. I'll post my results... we'll see how this goes.. LoL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts