Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't realize just how dirty my exhaust and chrome was :( Bought some Never Dull to do some polishing and man was that work. The baked on bugs, tar , road grime takes a lot of work to get clean and is a very slow process. Never Dull is good but is there anything out there better for cleaning baked on grime (easier) ????

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Steel wool, I use a SOS pad it will clean the chrome without scratching it. Don't use steel wool on any painted part.

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,135 Posts
Steel wool, I use a SOS pad it will clean the chrome without scratching it. Don't use steel wool on any painted part.
If it is straight steel wool make sure it is as fine a grain as you can find. And use wd40 or some other lubricant.

·
Registered
354 Posts
For my boot marks I use GoJo hand cleaner. Takes them out better then anything else I have tried and with very little effort. I wouldn't try it on hot pipes.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you don't have a saddle/harness shop around, most hardware stores can sell you a tube of Simichrome polish. Works great without too much rubbing. And it won't scratch.

I started using Simichrome years ago to clean/shine nickel-plated handguns and it does a fine job on stainless handguns also but don't use it on blued guns. Now, anytime I want to clean up any kind of metal all I use is Simichrome.

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Administrator
12,393 Posts
there is several different things I use , 0000 steel wool and never dull werk great .. Used to once upon a long ago , simichrome was the only polish you could find at an HD shop

JtB

·
Registered
548 Posts
Don't use steel wool unless you want to end up with a satin finish. S100 makes a metal soap that makes short work of cleaning chrome without worry of abrasion.

·
Super Moderator
13,082 Posts
Don't use steel wool unless you want to end up with a satin finish. S100 makes a metal soap that makes short work of cleaning chrome without worry of abrasion.
I'd have to disagree, I've been using steel wool for years and my chrome is shiny, just make sure you use the right grade.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've used Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner Polish for years, easy on, easy off. Works really good.
I have always had good luck with turtle wax cleaner also

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
the easiest thing to do is to clean your bike on a regular basis, if you do your chrome will never get to the point that you have to use steel wool on it. I'm not trying to be a smartass, I ride my bike everyday so I'm not one of those that cleans after every ride but I usually will wipe it down one evening over the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
13,082 Posts
Taz, you can clean your bike every day, but if you hit the pipes with the rubber sole of your boot........ that's when I use steel wool. I guess I should have been more specific, I only use steel wool to clean pipes when some kind of material has been melted to them, other than that, normal polish.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I use 00 steel wool but always follow with some chrome polish to protect it from the elements.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Taz, you can clean your bike every day, but if you hit the pipes with the rubber sole of your boot........ that's when I use steel wool. I guess I should have been more specific, I only use steel wool to clean pipes when some kind of material has been melted to them, other than that, normal polish.
no doubt, you are 100% correct. I was thinking more about the original posters reference towards bugs and also the fact that (unless I misunderstood) he was referring to other chrome besides the pipes. On pipes with burnt on rubber and tar steel wool is perfectly acceptable. I've also heard of using easy off oven cleaner.
As far as the other chrome, painted/powdercoated parts and windshield I've found using a bucket full of hot water and some microfiber towels works great. The hotwater really softens the bugs and bug guts and cleans the bike up nicely.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts