Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've searched the internet and these forums for the proper way to wash and maintain my road glide, which is in industrial gray denim. First time owning a denim colored bike and from what I've read, needs to be maintained differently than a gloss bike. I've purchased the HD denim paint spray cleaner for in-between washes. For a full wash, what is the proper solution to use? I've read some people use dawn dish soap. Will this hurt the paint or damage anything electrical on the bike? I don't want to ruin the paint, and certainly don't want to cause any corrosion to the bike. Secondly, should I completely wash the fairing, speakers and all? With all the electronics on it, I want to make sure I don't cause any issues which would result in the dealership claiming I caused the issue and it not being covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I would use what you normally do, just rinse it well. The bike is good for rain touring but I shy away from soap up there at the speakers especially, just a wipe with the damp rag. I know a guy that that rinses his bikes with distilled water from a weed sprayer after the wash..... It takes all kinds I suppose. Good luck Bro, Ride-On...

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
i avoid washing my bikes as much as possible. I take the bugs off after every ride with a microfiber cloth and some dupont matt finish cleaner on my matt finish bikes, and detailer on my gloss bikes.

If they need a real wash I trade them in. :grin:

No, I just wash the areas that need it and avoid spraying the inner fairing, back side of the controls, in other words keep the water and soap low. I use Meguiars car wash products.

I am not entering my bikes in any shows or hanging out at places where people might be admiring my bikes so I'm sure others will tell you about name brand products and techniques... (oh that reminds me, I think there is a detailing thread on this forum). Mmm. Wonder if I can find it. If I do, I will post the link here.

Here is all you never want to know about detailing. https://www.autopia.org/

Some Road Glide threads on denim care

https://www.roadglide.org/71-paint-bodywork-section/367701-polish-black-denim.html

or any of the threads in this link.
https://www.roadglide.org/gtsearch.php?q=denim paint care

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If you have to wash your bike other than detailing it with denim paint cleaner, use Harleys Sunwash bike soap. Safe for all surfaces including denim paint. Been using it for years

·
Registered
973 Posts
The Harley sunwash works good. You'll want to avoid using any car wash products that have wax infused into the soap with denim paint . The HD denim paint cleaner works well too, but there are several other denim/matte paint cleaners out there. Bugslide works really good. I always wash the inner dash area lightly, and have never had any electrical issues.

Lil Chief

1 - 5 of 5 Posts