Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to add some Gold leaf to my Harley RG but want to clear over it afterwards to protect it. I was looking at the All kandy wet wet, but it looks like they no longer make that stuff? Not sure What is the best clear to use, that will not lift the GL and not react with the factory clear? I read that I need to use very light coats over the GL at first to prevent lifting. I am looking for a good wet looking clear that I and sand smooth as can be. Like glass. I know they are making some good water based clears these days but have no idea how they look.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
I believe the clears are still solvent based. The base coat paint is whats water based.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
This is dated but. Mid 80s I was doing the same thing. Candy paint gold leaf and oil based pin striping. Called the base paint mfg and asked what to do. They sold me a special clear paint for this that wasn't even in the catalog because of the low demand and low volume. So I'd say the mfg is the place to start.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
A quality 2K urethane clear works for me. No problems clearing over the factory clear as long as you prep it properly. I never had a problem with gold leaf lifting when clearing. I always let the leaf dry at least a couple of days. Gold size take a long time to dry with leaf on top. You will also want to give it extra time to dry before sanding with 2500 or the like and polishing. Clear doesn't stick to gold leaf as well as the paint around it. Light coats at first is good advice, not because of possible lifting. The gold leaf is slipperier that the paint next to it and you might get a clear sag on the leaf if painting vertical. There are so many clears out there these days. You can go cheap but will have problems like solvent pop or orange peel. All the major brands make quality clear. I generally use House of Kolor clear for it's superior UV protection over kandy paint. If not spraying kandy a clear coat from Dupont, PPG, Sikkens, etc. Your local auto body supply store might recommend something else.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts