Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Clearview, which measures 16" from the fairing center screw to the top of the windshield. I am thinking of replacing it with a Windvest shield. 1) They recommend 8" (huh?) for my height 5'7", but the Clearview measurements instructions are from the top of the shield to the turn signal indicators. 2) Which is correct? and 3) Which is a better shield... the Clearview or the Windvest?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Go with what the sites recommend for their windshield

From what I've read the clearview has more pull back towards the rider. They also measure from the instrument cluster. Windvest may not, some companies still measure from the center well screw. Windvest seems to be the more used windshield and they aim low on the measurements becuase you have to look over it. Clearview can be viewed over or through it depending on preference. Should be plenty of owners here using the Windvest around you height.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I have a Clearview, which measures 16" from the fairing center screw to the top of the windshield. I am thinking of replacing it with a Windvest shield. 1) They recommend 8" (huh?) for my height 5'7", but the Clearview measurements instructions are from the top of the shield to the turn signal indicators. 2) Which is correct? and 3) Which is a better shield... the Clearview or the Windvest?
Welcome to the tank BTW.

You don't say whether you have a custom or an ultra or what year, that plays into the size and riding position. Is your bike, lowered, which seat do you have, you sit straight up or slouch a little? Do you currently look over or through your Clearview? If you look through it, you'll need the same size Windvest (or similar LRS Mako). There will be a huge difference in size between the 16" CV and 8"WV.

I've had all 3, I was happier with the Clearview although the WV and Mako gave similar performance. I felt the CV was a higher quality due to finish, the polished edges and thickness. The Mako was easier to mount since it had horizontal slots rather than holes for the well nuts.

If you do go with a different shield, get it from another member, it'll be a lot less $$ upfront.

Even better, save yourself some time, money and hassle, check out Madstad before you do anything.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Before you buy either, check out the Freedom shields. Quality product at a fair price.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Welcome to the tank BTW.

You don't say whether you have a custom or an ultra or what year, that plays into the size and riding position. Is your bike, lowered, which seat do you have, you sit straight up or slouch a little? Do you currently look over or through your Clearview? If you look through it, you'll need the same size Windvest (or similar LRS Mako). There will be a huge difference in size between the 16" CV and 8"WV.

I've had all 3, I was happier with the Clearview although the WV and Mako gave similar performance. I felt the CV was a higher quality due to finish, the polished edges and thickness. The Mako was easier to mount since it had horizontal slots rather than holes for the well nuts.

If you do go with a different shield, get it from another member, it'll be a lot less $$ upfront.

Even better, save yourself some time, money and hassle, check out Madstad before you do anything.
Last sentence! Love my Madstad!

I had a 12" windvest. I'm 5'8" and ride a '13 RG Ultra. It worked great with my custom seat (down and back 1.5"), stock seat not so much. It would have needed to be taller, at least 14". With the wife on board it did not work for us at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts