Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback. I have a 2013 Road Glide. I got the bike about a year ago and put different bars on pretty much right away. I pulled the wires and did it all myself. The problem I am having is the bike will make clicking type sounds before it turns over. It always starts just doesn’t always sound good. Sometimes it sounds completely normal when it starts up. Battery is a year old and was kept on a tender all winter in a heated garage. Checked battery cables and they are snug. Also did a voltage test. Around 12.68 just sitting. Dropped to around 10.3 when cranking and was up over 14 when running. Is it possible I have a loose connection somewhere on the wire plug from when I took the pins out to pull wires through the bars? Or could it be a starter or other issue.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Looking for feedback. I have a 2013 Road Glide. I got the bike about a year ago and put different bars on pretty much right away. I pulled the wires and did it all myself. The problem I am having is the bike will make clicking type sounds before it turns over. It always starts just doesn’t always sound good. Sometimes it sounds completely normal when it starts up. Battery is a year old and was kept on a tender all winter in a heated garage. Checked battery cables and they are snug. Also did a voltage test. Around 12.68 just sitting. Dropped to around 10.3 when cranking and was up over 14 when running. Is it possible I have a loose connection somewhere on the wire plug from when I took the pins out to pull wires through the bars? Or could it be a starter or other issue.
Is Your Battery the original OEM one that came with The Glide when You bought it?
If so, it could be going bad.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Duster, trying to follow your time line.

You've had the bike approximately 1 year.
You installed new bars almost immediately thereafter......... so the new bars have been on approximately 1 year.

Did the clicking sound start right after you installed the new bars? i.e. this has been going on for approximately 1 year?
Or is this a recent development?
Where is the clicking sound coming from? Is it at or near the starter or solenoid?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duster, trying to follow you time line.

You've had the bike approximately 1 year.
You installed new bars almost immediately thereafter......... so the new bars have been on approximately 1 year.

Did the clicking sound start right after you installed the new bars? i.e. this has been going on for approximately 1 year?
Or is this a recent development?
Where is the clicking sound coming from? Is it at or near the starter or solenoid?

I bought the bike last August and the battery then was bad. Took a lot for it to start the bike so I replaced it with a new one. I made a trip on Labor Day weekend and it fired right up every time and didn't have any clicking/grinding sounds. That was with the stock bars on it. I put some 12 inch KST Outlaws on it after that trip. I know I had one of the pins on the wires get messed up when I pulled the wires through so I cut it off and got some new pins from the Harley dealer to put on the wire so I could put it back into the plug connection. I cannot remember though which wire it was that I did that too. The bike has been making this clicking sound pretty much this whole summer when starting. It starts up every time and runs and drives just fine. I changed all of the fluids in April this year. Used Amsoil Primary lubricant, Amsoil Transmission oil and Amsoil 20-50. Voltage on battery seems fine from the testing I did. I checked the voltage going to the starter bolt on the top and it is a little over 12.5 volts.

The noise is definitely coming from the starter/primary area. See it could maybe be a compensator issue or chain tensioner from searching online. Haven't dug into anything in the primary. Trying to check other things first.

·
Registered
667 Posts
so no clickin till after all winter in storage, did you start and run at all during winter? sounds like you have battery going bad, take it somewhere they can do a load test on it, most auto parts stores will do this for free. battery could read good on volts but not under load test.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so no clickin till after all winter in storage, did you start and run at all during winter? sounds like you have battery going bad, take it somewhere they can do a load test on it, most auto parts stores will do this for free. battery could read good on volts but not under load test.
I didn't start it during the winter. It was on a tender in a heated garage though. Planning to take it to the auto store where I bought it and have them test it. Will see what they can tell me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took the battery to where I bought it last August and they said it tested out good. I put a battery charger on it when I got home for kicks and did a 6 amp fast charge. Put it back in the bike and it sounded a lot better. Going to try and borrow a battery from a buddy that I know is good and see if that eliminates the issue. If it does then I will get a new battery. That way I can fully eliminate that and go from there.

·
Registered
667 Posts
another thing to watch out with tenders, you want to get a top line battery 'maintainer' not just a tender, a tender that just trickles all the time will not save a battery over a full winter, a maintainer will monitor the battery cycle it thru charging and draining. i always had problems with tenders, bought a 'schumacher battery maintainer' got mine at walmart but also avail. on amazon. [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SP1297-Automatic-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0756PV96N/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-typnbCG5AIVU-DICh2A6wypEAAYASAAEgIxi_D_BwE&hvadid=177573652030&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1026339&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10913852718651058787&hvtargid=kwd-3721508017&hydadcr=5743_9590443&keywords=schumacher+battery+maintainer&qid=1565923697&s=gateway&sr=8-5[/ame]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
another thing to watch out with tenders, you want to get a top line battery 'maintainer' not just a tender, a tender that just trickles all the time will not save a battery over a full winter, a maintainer will monitor the battery cycle it thru charging and draining. i always had problems with tenders, bought a 'schumacher battery maintainer' got mine at walmart but also avail. on amazon. [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SP1297-Automatic-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0756PV96N/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-typnbCG5AIVU-DICh2A6wypEAAYASAAEgIxi_D_BwE&hvadid=177573652030&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1026339&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10913852718651058787&hvtargid=kwd-3721508017&hydadcr=5743_9590443&keywords=schumacher+battery+maintainer&qid=1565923697&s=gateway&sr=8-5[/ame]

Thanks for that suggestion. I have one of these that I have been using on it so I think I am good in the area of the maintainer. Could just be a crap battery. Going to borrow a battery from a friend that I know is good and go from there.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC1272-12V-Battery-Charger/dp/B07895R2KW/ref=asc_df_B07895R2KW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312712394155&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14423295602378356511&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9020563&hvtargid=pla-569263687827&psc=1

·
Registered
684 Posts
From video I hear:
Click
Click flutter/bounce
Zoom.

That's the solenoid having just not quite enough oomph behind it to fully engage. You did a quick 6amp "Surface charge" on the battery, and it pops off just fine.

It's the battery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts