Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume it is because of a battery that keeps time when bike is off, does anyone know if it is feasible to replace the battery in the radio? Where it is and how to do it would be great as well. Bike has 50k on it so not sure how long those last

·
Super Moderator
1,868 Posts
I can't imagine that the radio doesn't have a constant power source for when it is turned off. For some reason that constant power is being interrupted when starting or the feed isn't live to begin with. Check a manual to find which write provides the constant power and check backwards.

Gypsy Tour '14. - PA Route 6 and so much more.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
I can't imagine that the radio doesn't have a constant power source for when it is turned off. For some reason that constant power is being interrupted when starting or the feed isn't live to begin with. Check a manual to find which write provides the constant power and check backwards.

Gypsy Tour '14. - PA Route 6 and so much more.
I'd check fowards , it's easier to see. :D

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
There's definitely a power interruption somewhere. There should be a constant power source from the battery somewhere

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn, sounds like I gotta open the fairing again.:(

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is no battery in radio for keeping time, it needs constant power from bike. I wonder if something is actually wrong with the radio (capacitor or something), if it were me i would hook directly to battery just to test to see if you can make it do the same thing hooked directly and go from there

·
Registered
593 Posts
clock

how old is your battery? if voltage drops too much on startup your radio looses power. check bike battery with meter or take somewhere to get checked.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
There is a constant source of power going to the radio from the bike's electrical system.

Try replacing fuse 21 if you have it. This diagram is for an 09 glide.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
But if you pull out your manual, won't your kitchen table wobble? :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks PGR I will try that this week. These dealerships with their outrageous labor fee's should atleast know something as simple as this? I have a mind to write a few people about this, friggin jackasses!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the manual actually has 2 fuse diagrams, one on pg 7-9 I believe and the other is a diagram photo in the back on B-7 and one shows 20 as the radio memory and the other shows 21..LOL Not a big deal but just another thing to make me go ughhhhhh:eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I replaced the fuse and that did nothing. I know it is a good connection because the fuse sparked a little as I put it in. Maybe there is a battery in the radio.:confused:

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
There is no battery in the radio.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Ya gonna havta get over that radio battery and pull the outer, little spark?...check again (disconnect pwr 1st), get a cheap mulitmeter, ck continunity (1-1, 0-0) closed open, the put on volts and systematicly ck radio pins, placed on amps per diagram..get the idea, it gotta trace out..motto- master of the obvious

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
There's definitely not a fuse in the radio. When you put the fuse back in and it sparked, was the ignition and radio on?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's definitely not a fuse in the radio. When you put the fuse back in and it sparked, was the ignition and radio on?
No the fuse is labeled radio memory, and no the ignition was not on at the time I put the fuse in. Looks like I may end up playing with this after sturgis.

I just figured that since the fuse gave a small spark when I put it in that the wires going to it were fine but I guess they could still be shorted somewhere. I am pretty good with a wrench but electrical is a completely different ball game for me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya gonna havta get over that radio battery and pull the outer, little spark?...check again (disconnect pwr 1st), get a cheap mulitmeter, ck continunity (1-1, 0-0) closed open, the put on volts and systematicly ck radio pins, placed on amps per diagram..get the idea, it gotta trace out..motto- master of the obvious
I think I know what you mean, Looks like I may be wearing a watch on my way to sturgis though..LOL Not gonna get into it now and end up regretting it because I pulled something else out or accidentally cut a wire without knowing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts