Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else want a clutch brake? Irritates me to no end when even the dealer mechanics "crank, clunk and go"
These special specimens should know holding the clutch in for a few seconds saves precious chunks of metal..
Forehead Chin Outerwear Jaw Sleeve

·
Registered
745 Posts
My mind tells me the clunk is bad for the future. That said I haven't heard of the stories of repairs as a result. Not saying they aren't there, only haven't heard. I do let the bike idle for 30 seconds or so before engaging 1st gear. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Also changed to a heavier oil.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,782 Posts
I start the bike, then air up my suspension and put my helmet and gloves on. There is usually no clunk, when I do hear a clunk I know it is time to change the fluids.

·
Registered
2020 RGS, runs great out the gate.
1,732 Posts
Who starts their bike in gear? or with the clutch pulled in, knowing its in nuetral? my bike is parked at home in neutral, i start it and it idles as i don my do rag and glasses, etc...obviously once out riding its just start and, ? idles while i don my ...see previous...not sure this is something many do, sure someone does as the OP claims it as such...not how i/we roll...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did the op ever come back and clarify?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Er, uh, I was in general wanting to discuss the care and finessing the shifting of manual transmissions that don't have synchronizers. Just a pet peeve of mine, especially shop techs that start the bike and immediately jam it into 1st, you can hear it a football field away. A clutch brake stops or slows the spinning masses that cause this. It's been covered for eons, some say it's no problem. Cool, but for me I still strive for those quiet moments when the transmission is so eager for that next gear it literally feels like it pulls it in for you and will for many moons to come.....

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I generally hold the clutch in 10-15 seconds before putting it in gear when its cold. I don't know if it helos it just makes me feel better.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Kind of like the old Case 870 with HYD clutch we had you had to pump it up a few times then it went right in gear.

·
Registered
703 Posts
When I complained about the big clunk, an HD mechanic told me to hold the clutch in for a few seconds before putting it in gear to give the clutch plates some time to seperate, so I do.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
985 Posts
At the dealer today and a guy was buying a 3 hole service kit. Parts guy told him Harley has their own 80-140 now for the trans and primary and helps with the clunk. I hope they really gave him primary fluid not 2 qrts of gear oil

1 - 20 of 23 Posts