Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
The clunk is clutch drag and that is caused by torque transfer through the primary oil. Just like the old fluid drive on a 40's Plymouth.

The thicker the fluid is at room temp, the more it will drag, and the harder the clunk will be that first time you kick it into gear. Also, the more fluid the plates are dipped in, the more fluid there will be to cause the drag.

So you can run a lighter fluid, something synthetic so that it still has some love for the comp. Don't skimp and use ATF just because its thin, the comp does require a high shear protection factor in the lube.

Second thing you can do is fill the primary by eye. Don't just dump what the manual recommends into it. The plates are not lubed by the oil, they are cooled by it. So they don't actually need to be in a bath of oil, what gets splashed on is more than enough. Just fill the primary until the fluid touches the edge of the plate.

This wont stop the clunk, but it will soften it up. And make it a lot easier to find neutral.

We used to be able to adjust some of the drag out of them, but that left when the hyd clutch release sowed up. What you can do is measure how much the pressure plate lifts as the lever is pulled. There is a minimum spec in the manual. Lots of M8's out the with bad clutch masters that are not completely releasing the clutch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Haven't done it to this one yet, but a lighter oil in the primary and gear oil in the tranny helped in the '12 until it got hot. A bud still uses auto trans fluid in his primary and gear oil and I don't ever remember a sound out of his.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well shut my mouth! It had to be something that set me off. Checking my tranny fluid this morn, found my dipstick was dry, turned on some music to start my day, I began dreaming. Then I took off the derby cover and saw my oil leakin away, I saw my over filled primary oil leakin away while being on the centerstand. As clear as the sun in the summer sky, I gotta make a call...... to be continued engine related......

21 - 23 of 23 Posts