Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up a 2013 RG Ultra. Been riding mostly Dyna’s & Softails...This is my first touring bike, 1st fuel injected and my 1st with a 6 spd transmission. I’ve noticed when I let off on the throttle there’s a clunking sound. I’m not bogging the engine down and the RPM’s are staying up. I’ve never noticed this on any of my other bikes. Is this normal or is there something I need to look into?
Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
You may have already checked this, but the first thing I would check for is something unsecured in a saddle bag or fairing cubby that rolls or rocks as your velocity changes.... Water bottle, wrench, screwdriver, etc.... Iv'e learned to wrap things to avoid rattles, hums and clunks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually took everything out of the bags and I still hear it. It almost sounds like slack in the transmission.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Possibly the compensator. Does it make any noise when you shut the bike down?

Lil Chief

·
Registered
593 Posts
clunking

Since you just bought it from someone else, I would drain and pull primary cover to check the chain slack ,primary chain adjuster and compensator. My 2011 with 53000 mi. just had the compensator replaced. Under warranty, thank God. It would clunk on acceleration and deceleration.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Well if its the compensator, now would be the time to upgrade it, there is a post where another member recently upgraded his to a way better design IMO, check it out. Twin power 34 tooth gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday a group of us from the local HOG Chapter went for a ride, after talking to several members, the clunk appears to be normal at least on the pre Milwaukee-Eight engine.
Thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Check the belt tension.. My 15RGS would give me a chirping sound when i let off the throttle and it was my belt that had too much slack due to it stretching over time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts