Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 RG has a bit of slack in the clutch lever. Everything feels and functions ok, but the lever when released it doesn't go fully to seat I have to just bump it abit to seat.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Make sure you leave some free play where your cable enters the perch. it's not supposed to be socked up tight.
1/8 in per service manual. My lever doesn't go all the way back either. Not sure if it's supposed to or not.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Another thing that helps is to lube the cable regularly to keep things moving freely.
DO NOT put any lube on your clutch cable!! The cable is neoprene coated and doesn't require lube. Lubing the cable will cause the dirt to collect and gum up inside the cable and cause cable failure. My 08 has never had any lube in the clutch cable and it works just like a new clutch cable. You need 1/8 inch of play in the clutch lever, this is to make sure that the clutch is fully engaged when riding.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
DO NOT put any lube on your clutch cable!! The cable is neoprene coated and doesn't require lube. Lubing the cable will cause the dirt to collect and gum up inside the cable and cause cable failure. My 08 has never had any lube in the clutch cable and it works just like a new clutch cable. You need 1/8 inch of play in the clutch lever, this is to make sure that the clutch is fully engaged when riding.
Sorry to disagree with the ironmark but my owners manual says otherwise.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Clutch lever free play is usually 1/8” for correctly adjusted clutch cable. Lubing the cable is easy if you buy a cable lubricator adapter to attach the can of silicone spray, which forces its content into the cable. On my heritage I used to remove cable from the lever and lube down to the adjustment nut (mid-cable) to do the top half and split the adjusting nut and lube the bottom half with some silicone wet/dry cable lubricant. I usually do all my cables (clutch-throttle) annually.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Sorry to disagree with the ironmark but my owners manual says otherwise.

[/IMG]
I know what the owners manual says but I have over 60,000 mile my 08 clutch cable and I never lube it and it function just like a new cable, cables that are lubed will collect dirt and eventually fail. Cables have change over time but the maintenance proceedure hasn't, the old clutch cables were not coated like the new clutch cables are, the biggest cause of cable failure is stretching the cable to far when putting on aftermarket handlebars which may cause a sharper bend in the cable and improper adjustment that keeps tension on the cable. But it is your bike and it is your choice if you want to lube the cable.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Clutch lever free play is usually 1/8” for correctly adjusted clutch cable. Lubing the cable is easy if you buy a cable lubricator adapter to attach the can of silicone spray, which forces its content into the cable. On my heritage I used to remove cable from the lever and lube down to the adjustment nut (mid-cable) to do the top half and split the adjusting nut and lube the bottom half with some silicone wet/dry cable lubricant. I usually do all my cables (clutch-throttle) annually.
I lube my throttle cable weekly.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts