Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped out my Roland Sands 10" bars for a set of Santee 14" bars. While doing so I changed the clutch cable to a 4" longer cable. I already had one lying around from a previous swap that was like new so figured I should instead of getting creative with how I routed it. Everything was straight forward enough until I went to put the clutch lever together. There is almost no free play in the cable, maybe 1/16" but thats it. And the cable is adjusted all the way in.
the bike has about 800 miles on it and I have not adjusted the clutch pack yet but I'm worried that I don't have enough free play to adjust it. I pulled it apart twice now to make sure nothing is binding and everything looks good. Any ideas?
Can it just be an adjustment to the clutch pack even though everything was fine when I pulled the stock cable off.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have enough free play to put the lever back together. There is about 1/16 of an inch of cable between the loop and the cable end. can't get enough to even put the lever back together.

·
Registered
355 Posts
im sure you have the adjustment and jam nut as loose as it wil go. Turn the handles all they way to the right and se how far your away. You might need to get a longer one. The manfacture of the bars or aftermarket vendor that sells them should know the correct length needed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the overall length of the cable is fine. The problem is even with the adjustment nut turned all the way in there is no free play to put the lever back together. Not sure why.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That is strange, I just read through the ser. man for mine and the only adjustments are the adjustment nut and jam nut. Loosen up the jam nut and screw the adjuster towards the jamnut.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Do you have any play with the release housing on the trans taken off? Possibly when you replaced the clutch cable on that end something didn't go back together correctly.:confused:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. Every time I take it off there is about 1 1/2" or more of play. However that is with the arm on the ramp pushed towards the edge of the trans cover. When you center the ramp arm you lose about half of that. It's almost like the cable housing is too long compared to the cable. I'm at a loss. Might be time to get a different cable.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Where are you located? If you are close enough I can run over and check it out.

·
Registered
402 Posts
since it was a " extra" cable you had laying around... maybe it's the wrong one for the bike. how does it compare to the take off cable in respect to exposed cable length outside the sheath?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Faststan I'm in east Orlando so about an hour from you.
Ironrider thanks for the video but how it's done hasn't been an issue.
Smokintoad I am starting to believe that is my problem. It all looked OK but I just looked up the part number and it says it's for up to an 06. Then theres another for 07 and another for 08 and up. I don't know what the difference is but that has to be it. Thats the only thing that makes sense. So now I need to find a cable so I can get back on the road.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Faststan I'm in east Orlando so about an hour from you.
Ironrider thanks for the video but how it's done hasn't been an issue.
Smokintoad I am starting to believe that is my problem. It all looked OK but I just looked up the part number and it says it's for up to an 06. Then theres another for 07 and another for 08 and up. I don't know what the difference is but that has to be it. Thats the only thing that makes sense. So now I need to find a cable so I can get back on the road.
Did you try your stock cable? Did you try routing it outside of the nacelle? Route it on the tank side of the bars, ala Roadking. My buddy runs the stock clutch cable with 16" apes on his Road King. Fairly certain it's the same cable on RK as RG.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I wanted to make sure I let those know that were trying to help out that my bike is up and running. It was the cable that was the issue.

So a bit of history in case anyone ever searches this topic. The cable I had was HD part # 38649-98 but should have been 38649-08. How I got that cable was back in 2009 when I put +2 Kromeworks Sweepers on my Street Glide that was the cable Kromeworks stated on their web site was needed for a 2009. I bought it and had the bars on for about a month before I went taller with Wild 1's. During installation I do remember there was a little difficulty but it did work. Since the same cable is listed on magnum and Barnett for 2009 and 2012 I figured it would work without a problem.
Now if you look at the Kromeworks site there are multiple listings and after contacting them they changed it in 2009, after I did mine, when they found out they had the wrong part numbers listed. So the HD part #'s for a +3" cable:
38649-98 is for 1996-2006
38649-07 for 2007
38649-08 for 2008 and up

I have no idea what exactly the difference is since I did not compare the Magnum cable I bought to the HD cable but that was definitely the problem. the Magnum 42234HE Black Pearl worked perfectly.
Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts