Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Less warranty claims on a cable, as it seemed the 15, 16, 17s had lots of recalls on the clutch.......but I agree it's backwards

Reactions: rlaf75

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I don’t think it’s a step back. It comes down to the saying, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.
Cable has always been more dependable, and less expensive to maintain. (IMOpinion)

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,697 Posts
🍿I predict HD goes back to hydraulic clutches on cvo's and limited models as in the past.

Reactions: Acmegamer

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Well, Harley-Davidson may stick with Cable for production cost savings.
But offer Hydraulic Clutch in the Accessory Catalog for those that prefer it over cable.

Reactions: Acmegamer

·
Read Only
2,975 Posts
Cost savings measure. Do the general math on the components.
Not really as they have all the tooling and processes in place, I would think it's costing money, as a cable isn't inherently cheaper to manufacture. Sources of supply at moment are not conducive to simple assembly, whether it's motorcycle or furniture or home building etc...and there's been no real issues outside the ones people had posted in early days...but if one knew how many bikes were sold versus how many had issues and the severity if issues, if there was no interwebs, it wouldn't even be on many folks radar that there ever was an issue? But name one vehicle manufacturer that uses cable clutches for their street products...it's definitely a step backwards.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
HD could not after years of trying find away to make the hyd system work. Many had no real issue but a lot did. Over and over HD applied patches none worked . So Hd di what they do said they all do it live with and then stop using them. the rear fender tip light they sold. Most of them failed before the 1 year warranty. After a few tries at fixing they they just quit selling them.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
No transfer issues with the cable, less parts, equals more money in their pockets. Offer parts to make it hydraulic and make even more money. I really think my 19 RGU has more hand fatigue sitting in stop and go than my 19 Heritage had. That problem is solved now, but more money

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not really as they have all the tooling and processes in place, I would think it's costing money, as a cable isn't inherently cheaper to manufacture. Sources of supply at moment are not conducive to simple assembly, whether it's motorcycle or furniture or home building etc...and there's been no real issues outside the ones people had posted in early days...but if one knew how many bikes were sold versus how many had issues and the severity if issues, if there was no interwebs, it wouldn't even be on many folks radar that there ever was an issue? But name one vehicle manufacturer that uses cable clutches for their street products...it's definitely a step backwards.
Cost savings measure, plain and simple. I'm on my 3rd HD with a Hyd Clutch (2020) and never had a lick of trouble.
What do you think cost more to purchase? HD doesn't manufacture these items.
Hyd Master Cylinder, Hydraulic line and Hydraulic Slave Cylinder, 2 of 3 are machined items.
-OR-
Clutch Cable
?

·
Registered
2017 RGS
176 Posts
No transfer issues with the cable, less parts, equals more money in their pockets. Offer parts to make it hydraulic and make even more money. I really think my 19 RGU has more hand fatigue sitting in stop and go than my 19 Heritage had. That problem is solved now, but more money
Totally agree that hand fatigue is worse with Hydro clutch. I believe it's due to Harley's cheap implementation of a very sound technology. Many after market companies sell clutch assist kits for $300. I used the Soft Brake clutch and brake levers. They're bent at a closer angle, which eases hand fatigue and give a more linear feel to clutch.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Totally agree that hand fatigue is worse with Hydro clutch. I believe it's due to Harley's cheap implementation of a very sound technology. Many after market companies sell clutch assist kits for $300. I used the Soft Brake clutch and brake levers. They're bent at a closer angle, which eases hand fatigue and give a more linear feel to clutch.
I put in the Rekluse slave cylinder and the wife has my FLO levers on order. So far much better tho

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
Cables have been used since the dawn of time and have proven to be pretty durable with little to no maintenance needed. The MoCo introduced the hydro clutch and had a bunch of problems with it costing them a ton of money to remedy. I have no doubt it is because of the Benjamin's

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Special 1995 Electraglide
72 Posts
The only problem I ever had with a clutch was a cable clutch on a 08 RG.
I sure did like the hyd. clutch.
I can see the cost savings though, although I have not seen the hyd. in the P/A catalog for 2021s. Would buy it if they offered it. My .02

·
Registered
228 Posts
Love my Dot4 clutch! Vacuum out the fluid from the reservoir, replace w/ new Dot4 every 18 months, never over tighten the reservoir cover, easy peazy! Haven't rebuilt the master cylinder on my 15 yet. Back in the day I always hated looking at that stretched cable with the frayed wires moving in and out of the cable boot. Ya just knew it was about to snap and you didnt have the $32 to buy a new one but ya had enough for a 12 pack of Old Milwaukee...LOL!

Time will tell what the market thinks ;)

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The new clutch cable is different from the old clutch cable. It now comes in two parts. The bottom remains installed in the transmission, and the top is replaced if a longer cable is needed.
I just changed from the stock Handlebars to the Harley Tallboy Handlebars. I didn’t need to use a longer cable, but was able to use the stock cable. I didn’t need, but did remove the clutch lever. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to adjust the cable. No more wrenches needed to adjust the cable. You can look on YouTube to see how easy it is.

Reactions: diesel358

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
The hydraulic release mechanism was supposed to make the clutch pull, and the clutch lever hold effort, more agreeable to the rider.

With the old diaphragm spring clutch, the resistance eased off at full pull, making it easier to hold the lever down at a light. The M8 coil spring clutch is actually at its hardest at full pull, its just the nature of coil springs. Lots of other motorcycle companies do the same thing, Harley just didn't seem to be able to figure it out.

So now they are back to the cable, but with a new lever set up. Haven't been able to play with the new levers yet, so I can't say what Harley is up to with them.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts