Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

Read Only
New cable seems like another effort in futility if ones to believe all the bad of the hydraulic clutch. I personally don't have a problem with hydraulic clutch and can't specifically tell a difference...no way this new 2 piece cable is going to be cheaper as it's not off the shelf as proclaimed to save cash. We all can go back and forth, I feel it's a step backwards but I have my 2020 and not looking back...love the bike, love the ability to customize as I please and I aint talking about the paint. I knew what I was getting and haven't once regretted buying a new off the floor, 6 miles on ODO Shark 馃. All the things I can customize are things I can do and have and will continue to do while riding with the "biggest shit eatin grin" on me face!

Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
HD could not after years of trying find away to make the hyd system work. Many had no real issue but a lot did. Over and over HD applied patches none worked . So Hd di what they do said they all do it live with and then stop using them. the rear fender tip light they sold. Most of them failed before the 1 year warranty. After a few tries at fixing they they just quit selling them.
I have a friend that built a 2005 hot rod Duce in 05 all H-D parts H-D dealer built with a hydraulic clutch he still has the bike and the clutch. I bought a 2020 RGS and was really excited to get some new tech vs.my 2010 love this bike and clutch. My wife traded her 2017 for a 2021 the clutch does feel different but it is smooth, nice, feels fine.

Registered
I think its a push as far as the money is concerned.

The cable clutch is cheaper to purchase, just eliminating the master cylinder insures a cost savings on parts.

But the cable clutch requires a hand to adjust it, were as the Hydraulic clutch is self adjusting. Just bolt it on and vacuum fill it.

That adjustment under the derby and at the cable, may cost more than what Harley pays for the master cylinder.

Registered
Well, Harley-Davidson may stick with Cable for production cost savings.
But offer Hydraulic Clutch in the Accessory Catalog for those that prefer it over cable.
The Hydraulic on my 19 RG is hands down infinately better than the cable I lived with on my 09 Street Glide for 11 years. There is no comparison. Hydraulic =$$, Cable =$ How many road motorcycles are manufactured with cable clutches these days?

Registered
Cables have been used since the dawn of time and have proven to be pretty durable with little to no maintenance needed. The MoCo introduced the hydro clutch and had a bunch of problems with it costing them a ton of money to remedy. I have no doubt it is because of the Benjamin's
They had the teething problems worked out though...
The Hydraulic on my 19 RG is hands down infinitely
The Hydraulic on my 19 RG is hands down infinately better than the cable I lived with on my 09 Street Glide for 11 years. There is no comparison. Hydraulic =$$, Cable =$ How many road motorcycles are manufactured with cable clutches these days?
"infinitely"
better than the cable I lived with on my 09 Street Glide for 11 years. There is no comparison. Hydraulic =$$, Cable =$ How many road motorcycles are manufactured with cable clutches these days?

Read Only
The time if done by self, not many of us, versus having dealership do adjustments for cable that isn't an off the shelf cable so many think, has been posted is more money than the self adjusting hydraulic clutch. Who takes their cars and trucks in for clutch adjustment? New Harley owners will now. If one can say the MoCo is doing weird if not backwards actions, this is like the perfect example.

Registered
The time if done by self, not many of us, versus having dealership do adjustments for cable that isn't an off the shelf cable so many think, has been posted is more money than the self adjusting hydraulic clutch. Who takes their cars and trucks in for clutch adjustment? New Harley owners will now. If one can say the MoCo is doing weird if not backwards actions, this is like the perfect example.
The two piece clutch cable adjustment is so easy. Anyone that takes their bike in for clutch cable adjustment is throwing money away. 馃捀馃捀馃捀馃捀馃捀 No more wrenches needed to adjust the clutch.
The Rushmore Clutch cable has been used on the Softail from introduction of the Rushmore. Touring models had the Hydraulic clutch. Now that the Touring models have the same cable, most don鈥檛 know how easy it is.
Here is a YouTube video from Doc Harley explaining how easy it is to adjust on a Softail. The explanation is the same, just on the other side of the frame down tube.

Registered
Just changed the Dot 4 in both of my RGs. Went a little longer than the 2 year recommended duration this time. Ooops. But it鈥檚 super dry out here in Vegas. I took both for a spin and I can notice a difference in how much smoother they both are. I may start flushing it yearly just to see if I can notice if they operate better.

My 鈥03 FXDL is obviously a cable. I spend most of my time on that bike locking up the rear and dumping the clutch. I鈥檓 not sure a hydraulic clutch would be better for that application because I bang on it pretty hard. I keep a spare for when she goes.

I do some rolling burn outs on the 15 RGS but because I spent a lot of money on it, I don鈥檛 get too crazy on it because I don鈥檛 want to dump it. I鈥檓 not certain the clutch on it can withstand the abuse the cable one can. But I do know which would be cheaper to fix when it fails.

I prefer the hydraulic clutches feel but the simplicity of the cable.

Reactions: 168313

Registered
I might be the odd man out but I really dislike the hydraulic clutch on my 2018 Road Glide Special.
I have several other Harleys.. all pre hydraulic clutch.
I have ridden motorcycles for 45 years and have taught Motorcycle Safety for over 20 years. I just do not feel the control of the friction zone with the hydraulic clutch .... then there is the feel of the transmission through the lever during shifts.

Case in point: Where I park at work I have to cross a few feet of stone to get onto the driveway when I am heading home.
With every other bike from my Pan with a mousetrap to my Road King with a 124ci and a complete Barnett clutch I have no issues feathering the clutch through the rocks. Its a smooth and controlled event.
Then there is the 2018. There is no way to slip the clutch through the rocks with that hydraulic unit. So every time I drive the "new bike" I have to get a broom and corral the stones back to their bed. You can just not feather the friction zone with the hydraulic clutch.
I know about the recall and the failures.
I have the recall done and the primary vent kit and did put the AIM heavy springs in it when I upgraded the motor.
Just my .02 guys.
Eliminating the hydraulic is one of my main reasons to get a new bike.

Registered
I might be the odd man out but I really dislike the hydraulic clutch on my 2018 Road Glide Special.

Just my .02 guys.
Eliminating the hydraulic is one of my main reasons to get a new bike.
You鈥檙e not alone. I鈥檝e been looking at upgrading to a newer year Road Glide for the last two years. I test rode the Hydraulic Clutch models and found the cable clutch on my 2009 was easier than the Hydraulic Clutch. I wasn鈥檛 looking forward to loosing my cable. Then when the 2021 model introduction had the clutch was, again the cable, I traded for the 2021. The salesman tried to get me to get a 2020 model with Hydraulic Clutch. But no way was I getting a Hydraulic model. A big plus is how easy the clutch cable is to adjust! No more 1/2鈥 and 9/16鈥 wrench needed. And the Rushmore fairing is so easy to remove. I love the new GPS Infotainment too.

So if missing the cable has kept you from trading, just Do It! You won鈥檛 be disappointed.

Reactions: diesel358 and slamr

Registered
Bottom line is the hydraulic clutch is a HD cluster F--k.
The cable is easy to adjust and had no real issues in many years. My 08 has 125,000+ miles with the original clutch cable and I never used any lubricant on the clutch cable at all.
Lubricant just collects dirt which leads to cable failure.

Reactions: diesel358

Registered
I rode with the cable clutch on my 鈥09 for 10 years and it was great. Friction zone control was fine, though I found myself slipping a feathering it a bit too much on more than one occasion and smelling that awful burnt clutch odor. Making adjustments periodically was the norm. Fast forward to my new鈥19 and I definitely noticed the harder pull at the beginning. Hand would get tired during stop and go or sitting at a stop light for a couple minutes. But... I got used to it and even mastered slow speed feathering techniques to the point where I鈥檇 never go back unless cable was the only option. Functionally, I love not having to adjust the cable anymore. On an aesthetics bonus point, I鈥檓 sometimes fixated on symmetry and genuinely love having matching fluid cylinders on both the left and right sides of the handle bars....馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Bottom line is the hydraulic clutch is a HD cluster F--k.
The cable is easy to adjust and had no real issues in many years. My 08 has 125,000+ miles with the original clutch cable and I never used any lubricant on the clutch cable at all.
Lubricant just collects dirt which leads to cable failure.
I still had the original clutch cable with 148,000 miles on my 2009 when I traded it in for my 2021 Road Glide Standard this past January. No issues with the cable, but I did change the clutch plates to the SE competition clutch pack At 90k miles. I only remember adjusting it twice.
And the new cable is so easy to adjust. It appears that when the Rushmore came out, the cable was still used on the Softail. Harley-Davidson changed to the Two Piece Clutch Cable at that time on the Softail. But Hydraulic Clutch on Touring models. So when Harley-Davidson dropiped the Hydraulic Clutch, for the Cable, it鈥檚 the Two Piece cable. It鈥檚 so easy to adjust! No tools needed. I鈥檓 so happy with my 2021!

Registered
I too was curious why Harley went back to cable my first thought of course like the rest of you was about the cost the one thing that was weird to me was the little clique you get in the lever when you pull it in ? I have a 2018 road glide special and I can slip the clutch through the bad easily I have a pretty good gutter hump at bottom of elevated driveway and I get it up there no sweat.

Registered
It is, but still, get your 馃嵖 ready, as here it comes...for the record, I prefer hydraulic...now let the games begin....馃槈
Have you serviced the lines? I've been fighting fluid spilling over ( unless you put the bike on a rack, which is pain in the ass ). You try and bleed the lines but the reservoir holds less than a mouth full of spit. I have replaced the components inside the cylinder and I still have a clutch that SUCKS! 2017 and wanting to convert to old school that friggen works. Pretty sure Harley went back to cable because this was a REALLY bad idea - rant off...

Registered
I have a 2021 RGS and it's my first Harley. Why in the good name of Willie G would they go to a clutch cable instead of the hydraulic? Seems like a step backward to me.
Agreed... I love my '19 hyd. clutch; even more so nowafter changing to a Rekluse slave cyl., and Oberon adj. levers...... Wish I would have done this at the get go. A two finger pull now with about 2/3 the effort it was when OEM

Registered
A cable is a million times better if you can not correctly engineer a hydraulic system. Most manufacturers can.
When I changed out my OEM slave cyl. to the Rekluse, the OEM slave was branded Brembo. Maybe H-D entrusted them for the engineering? The Rekluse with Oberon adjustable levers is now a perfect set up. I get that H-D should have got it right the first time, but look at how many years they have been coming with sub standard suspensions, engine performance, and even the brakes........ But we keep buying them, and they will keep selling them. My guess is once we (our generations) stop buying new bikes, the next gens may get top shelf components for top shelf prices, because they will shop elsewhere. My 2 cents.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts