Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Have you serviced the lines? I've been fighting fluid spilling over ( unless you put the bike on a rack, which is pain in the ass ). You try and bleed the lines but the reservoir holds less than a mouth full of spit. I have replaced the components inside the cylinder and I still have a clutch that SUCKS! 2017 and wanting to convert to old school that friggen works. Pretty sure Harley went back to cable because this was a REALLY bad idea - rant off...
Other manufacturers have had hydraulic clutches since the late 80s. They don't suck. Harley either couldn't figure out how to do it, or do it to a mandated budget. I have no issues with mine.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,413 Posts
I can go with either. I installed a new slave cylinder on my 2018 and it was the best feeling lever pull of any HD bike that I have owned. I don't however like that you can't adjust adjust the engagement point of the hydro clutch like you can with the cable unless you buy expensive adjustable levers. I spent $280 on a new slave cylinder, $200+ (i forget the exact price) on levers, just to get it to feel the way I wanted. It was worth it in the end, I guess. The new cable is actually a great design in that, you don't have the lock nuts to deal with and no more twisting and checking the lever to see if you have the slack at the lever just right. It adjusts the cable itself in that part. The actual clutch adjustment at the basket is still the same and can be done in a few seconds whenever you do a primary fluid change.

It is actually pretty simple to convert a new bike to hydraulic clutch if you want to spend the coin on the parts. The difference you would feel may not be worth the price though.

·
Premium Member
2017 Road Glide Special
56 Posts
After having a cable break while in traffic I began replacing them every 3 or so years on my bikes. I have wasted money on worse things and it's not only peace of mind but what winters and garages are made for. Had mixed feelings about my first hydraulic clutch but now would not want anything else.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
The only reasons a clutch cable will break are when they are installed wrong and/or have never been properly maintained. The only clutch cable that I have seen break was on a bike that was 15 years old and the owner told me that he had never lubed it in any way. I would say that the chance of a cable breaking is about the same as when someone doesn't change the hydraulic fluid and it breaks down and stops working. I've also seen where the the hydro cable was too close to the exhaust and heated the fluid to the point it broke down and would not allow the plates to disengage. There are issues and required maintenance with both. If someone has a cable break then they automatically become the demon, if you have experinced issues with a cable clutch then it becomes the demon. Fact is, they are both mechanical items that are not 100% bullet proof.

I believe that when HD started putting a hydraulic clutch on CVO's that it made it an item that people saw as much better than it actually is just because it was on a CVO. It does have a better look to it as it matches the righthand controls better and the line is easier to route and hide. To me that is the only real reason I would like it better. ;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Have you serviced the lines? I've been fighting fluid spilling over ( unless you put the bike on a rack, which is pain in the ass ). You try and bleed the lines but the reservoir holds less than a mouth full of spit. I have replaced the components inside the cylinder and I still have a clutch that SUCKS! 2017 and wanting to convert to old school that friggen works. Pretty sure Harley went back to cable because this was a REALLY bad idea - rant off...
I'm not sure what you mean by fluid spilling all over. If it is while the master cylinder cover is off for bleeding the system, all that is needed is to keep the bike on the side stand, turn the bars to the right untill the master cyl is as level as it can be then remove the cover, and keep the bars from moving during bleeding. This works with OEM bars, don't know about all the aftermarket bars though, I never had the need to change from OEM. So if you have aftermarket and cannot get the clutch master cyl level to remove the cover, you may need to rotate them till the reservoir is as level as possible.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The only reasons a clutch cable will break are when they are installed wrong and/or have never been properly maintained. The only clutch cable that I have seen break was on a bike that was 15 years old and the owner told me that he had never lubed it in any way. I would say that the chance of a cable breaking is about the same as when someone doesn't change the hydraulic fluid and it breaks down and stops working. I've also seen where the the hydro cable was too close to the exhaust and heated the fluid to the point it broke down and would not allow the plates to disengage. There are issues and required maintenance with both. If someone has a cable break then they automatically become the demon, if you have experinced issues with a cable clutch then it becomes the demon. Fact is, they are both mechanical items that are not 100% bullet proof.

I believe that when HD started putting a hydraulic clutch on CVO's that it made it an item that people saw as much better than it actually is just because it was on a CVO. It does have a better look to it as it matches the righthand controls better and the line is easier to route and hide. To me that is the only real reason I would like it better. ;)
Right on with the proper maintenance. I think almost every car and truck these days with a manual trans runs a hydraulic clutch system as well as almost all modern street bikes, and they work great. You have to ask the question, why does every other manucacturer run hydro clutch systems if they are inferior?? If engineered properly they are the best. Keep the fluid fresh and clean just like braking systems (they are kind of important also). Flush at recommended intervals and they will last many many miles/years. Late model Mustangs (and I am sure many more) have the clutch slave cyl behind the throw out bearing in the bell housing. Who wants to pull the trans and driveshaft to service that if not maintained. I absolutely love the hydro clutch on my '19 (with Rekluse and Oberon modifications) compared to the cable set up on my '09 Street Glide... There is No comparison. The pull now is about 60% of where it was OEM, The friction zone is wider, and I would have to say perfect now. The big question is, If I can get this result, why couldn't H-D? It is just like suspension components etc; we keep buying them and they will keep selling them to us.......

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Right on with the proper maintenance. I think almost every car and truck these days with a manual trans runs a hydraulic clutch system as well as almost all modern street bikes, and they work great. You have to ask the question, why does every other manucacturer run hydro clutch systems if they are inferior?? If engineered properly they are the best. Keep the fluid fresh and clean just like braking systems (they are kind of important also). Flush at recommended intervals and they will last many many miles/years. Late model Mustangs (and I am sure many more) have the clutch slave cyl behind the throw out bearing in the bell housing. Who wants to pull the trans and driveshaft to service that if not maintained. I absolutely love the hydro clutch on my '19 (with Rekluse and Oberon modifications) compared to the cable set up on my '09 Street Glide... There is No comparison. The pull now is about 60% of where it was OEM, The friction zone is wider, and I would have to say perfect now. The big question is, If I can get this result, why couldn't H-D? It is just like suspension components etc; we keep buying them and they will keep selling them to us.......
I don't believe I ever said they are inferior but if that's what you interpreted, I guess it is what it is. I merely pointed out some differences and the pros and cons of both. HD can get it right but it is absolutely a money thing to them at this point. I could really care less. I do find it interesting that you say the friction zone is wider with Hydro though. I have never felt that they were at all. If I were being super picky I would say my cable clutch bikes have had a better friction zone. But that's just me....

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't believe I ever said they are inferior but if that's what you interpreted, I guess it is what it is. I merely pointed out some differences and the pros and cons of both. HD can get it right but it is absolutely a money thing to them at this point. I could really care less. I do find it interesting that you say the friction zone is wider with Hydro though. I have never felt that they were at all. If I were being super picky I would say my cable clutch bikes have had a better friction zone. But that's just me....
When I said "You have to ask the question" I did not mean you personnally. My bad, it was a generalization... No, I did not interpret what you said as them being inferior at all. In fact I am in agreement with you about proper maintenance, which is true for anything needing maintaining. I have over 26 years experience with commercial/industrial maintenance... I was merely pointing out that if hydro was inferior, as some others say, then why do almost all manufacturers use hydro? In my post, what I said was: now, after installing a Rekluse clutch slave cylinder which is responsible for the 25 to 30% or so lighter clutch pull, in conjunction with the Oberon adjustable levers, they do in fact widen the friction zone considerably, over the OEM set up. This is fact, and until experienced, difficult to believe. My up shifts and rev matching on down shifts are also cleaner, it is easier to find neutral, and feathering the clutch in a parking lot of taking off from a stop is now a joy to use. What I am saying is this: This setup now, is the best clutch action I have ever had of the four H-Ds I've owned; the previous three being cable actuated. So no I was not disagreeing with you, sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
@GmaninAZ, I know exactly what you are talking about as I had the AIM slave cylinder on my 18'. It's what I was talking about in a previous post. My experience is that the setup not only made for a lighter pull, but it moved the engagement closer to the grip which made it better for me. Then I added the Oberon adjustable levers and was able to get it just off the grip. However, it doesn't mean it widened the friction zone itself. It merely means it moved the place of engagement. A hydraulic clutch is more on or off like a switch whereas with a cable you can feather the friction zone more easily. The setup you have is a great one and like I said it was the best clutch pull I've ever felt on a Harley with the similar setup I had on my 2018. The issue was that it took $$$ to get it that way. If you put 2 new HD touring bikes side by side, one with the new cable actuation and one with the stock hydraulic actuation, most would not be able to tell a discernable difference.

·
Registered
500 Posts
@GmaninAZ, I know exactly what you are talking about as I had the AIM slave cylinder on my 18'. It's what I was talking about in a previous post. My experience is that the setup not only made for a lighter pull, but it moved the engagement closer to the grip which made it better for me. Then I added the Oberon adjustable levers and was able to get it just off the grip. However, it doesn't mean it widened the friction zone itself. It merely means it moved the place of engagement. A hydraulic clutch is more on or off like a switch whereas with a cable you can feather the friction zone more easily. The setup you have is a great one and like I said it was the best clutch pull I've ever felt on a Harley with the similar setup I had on my 2018. The issue was that it took $$$ to get it that way. If you put 2 new HD touring bikes side by side, one with the new cable actuation and one with the stock hydraulic actuation, most would not be able to tell a discernable difference.
Agreed that brand new stock cable vs stock hydro most would not feel the difference. I do know though that the Rekluse does give a little wider friction zone than OEM, and I think a little different piston diameter than the AIM and Meuller. That is what I found in my research and why I chose the Rekluse rather than AIM or Meuller. I like my engagement/disengagement farther out than you because I keep ring and pinky fingers wrapped around both grips with two finger pulls for both clutch and brake, the way I learned from racing, so the Oberon levers were a must for me to achieve this. I just turned 70 this July and still have the strength for two finger pulls, but I wish I had installed the Rekluse and Oberons sooner... The same can be said about all the $ we spend on suspension, and getting good performance from motors and brakes. Harley can do much better, but we want, and like them, so continue to buy them and choose to, or not, improve them if we have the financial resources... Keep the shiny side up

·
Registered
2022 Road Glide Limited
51 Posts
I get it is somewhat personal preference. I just swapped an 16 RGU for a 22 RGL. The RGU had a hydraulic and the new 22 Limited has the new 2 piece cable.

I installed a reverse on both of them and even though the 22 limited was brand new, i ended up having to adjust the clutch to get everything perfect.

Once i actually adjusted the clutch after compressing the cable spring to make the cable as short as possible, i removed the derby and adjusted slack out of cable old school, i will tell you it is awesome! Even the normal clunk when dropping in gear is totally gone and is smooth as silk. I love the cable clutch and will not willingly go back to a hydraulic, but that is me…to each his own…

·
Registered
970 Posts
Cable it is old tech will not be found on our cars or very few motor cycles other than Harley bikes.
I am old school rider, due to the heavy torque of a V twin engine low speeds tight quarters is all about 3 sequences to keep moving on a U turn and short turns on this massive bikes some on +900 pounds.
Brake friction
Clutch in between
Throttle to go on motion turns that big bull or caw in very tight circles and U turns.
For a touring bike cable is my preference.
Glad to seeit back even might be a step back or minimize loses amount others.
Ride safe ride hard enjoy it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Did you buy the Rekluse direct or from whom?

Thanks!
Purchased from Fuel Moto May 30, they had it on sale at the time and best price I could find. I talked with someone at Rekluse while gathering as much info on the three before choosing. This is one of the best mods I've done with the Oberon adj. levers. I am really liking the Galfer 13" rotors also, pads and rotors are almost fully bedded in.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
When transitioning from the hydraulic back to the cable clutch I really didn’t notice much of a difference. And truth be told, if Harley can’t make a good clutch system I would just as soon have the cable. Lesschance of a problem on the road

41 - 56 of 56 Posts