Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the clutch fluid reservoir cover from stock to chrome. When I opened the stock cover, I had the bike slightly off level and a little clutch fluid came out (everything was thoroughly covered). It's hard to tell exactly how much came out because it dripped onto a shop rag. If i had to estimate, I would guess about a half once. There's no "window" to check clutch fluid levels like on the brake side. And I know clutch fluid levels rise as the clutch wears. Everything feels and operates fine.

My question is, how important is it to have the clutch fluid level exact? Not knowing the exact amount I lost, I'm afraid of overfilling it. My mechanical abilities are slightly above amateur so any advice would be helpful.

thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
I just changed the clutch fluid reservoir cover from stock to chrome. When I opened the stock cover, I had the bike slightly off level and a little clutch fluid came out (everything was thoroughly covered). It's hard to tell exactly how much came out because it dripped onto a shop rag. If i had to estimate, I would guess about a half once. There's no "window" to check clutch fluid levels like on the brake side. And I know clutch fluid levels rise as the clutch wears. Everything feels and operates fine.

My question is, how important is it to have the clutch fluid level exact? Not knowing the exact amount I lost, I'm afraid of overfilling it. My mechanical abilities are slightly above amateur so any advice would be helpful.

thanks

There’s not a window right next to the banjo bolt on the reservoir itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
927 Posts
Mine’s a 16RGU and the window is on the reservoir itself right next to the banjo bolt itself. To answer your question if everything feels right sounds like you have enough fluid. Question is, would you have enough if the bike is at a harder lean than it being on a kickstand? If no window, there should be a fill level line on the inside of the reservoir. Check your owners manual and see what it says about fluid level so you know for sure instead of guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I added about a half once to be on the safe side. Does anyone know why the 17s (and I assume the 18s) don't have a window to check the clutch fluid level? The service manual didn't state a level, just that you should never have to add any fluid. It says when replacing fluid, after 3 onces come out, you are done.

·
Registered
883 Posts
No window as it’s not a safety issue before you start the bike. If it’s low on brake fluid you won’t stop once going. If you are low on clutch fluid you won’t disengage the clutch. If traveling you can still change gears without the clutch to safely stop somewhere.

04 RG

·
Registered
978 Posts
I know my 2015 is real finicky with the clutch fluid. My reservoir was seeping after swapping bars so I took a little fluid out. Bad decision. I took it for a test ride and got about 3 miles from home when I completely lost the clutch lever, and had no clutch at all. Of course I got stopped at the one red light in my path home, which was on a busy highway, and the bike died. I struggled to find neutral and got it started, jammimg the gears the rest of the way home.

Lil Chief

1 - 9 of 9 Posts