Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Since I got the bike and been riding it, I want to adjust where the clutch handle engages and disengages. The handle now starts to grab at about half way out. Total grab is almost fully out. I buddy of mine mentioned to adjust the cable slack on the cable going down the frame. Is that the correct thing to do? I want it so, when squeezed in, to start to grab allot sooner than it is now. Any help?

Thanks in advance.

·
Shark of the Month December 2013
679 Posts
That is infact where you adjust the throw at.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Engagement point is adjusted with the adjuster on the clutch pressure plate. Cable adjustment adjusts lever slop.

You didnt say what year, but I've found the later 6 speeds to need more disengagement travel to insure you get adequate plate seperation, if not you get drag and drag makes harsh first gear engagement and neutral tough to find.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
What rageglide said. You adjust where the hand lever grabs , in the primary, on the pressure plate. Then adjust on the cable to remove slope in cable. The cable adjustment should be about the same on all bikes. About 1/8 " of lever play (slop).

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would strongly recommend getting the service manual for your bike. Search on YouTube I think I remember seeing a video on the clutch pack adjustment.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Loosen cable adjuster all the way , so u have a lot of slop in clutch handle. Then take off primary inspection cover , loosen lock nut on clutch adjuster , loosen inner screw out a couple rounds, then slowly tighten back in till u feel tension n then back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn . Hold inner adjuster screw n lock down outer nut . Done with clutch adjustment . Next go back to cable tighten till u have about 1/8 to 1/16
(SLOP) in clutch lever. DONE!!!:D
You tube is ur friend, just type in harley clutch adjustment , if u need more help.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Get it wrong, and either the clutch will slip, or it won't engage gear. :p:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Danhappy, I just did this yesterday and it is super easy. Watch the youtube video and you will see how easy it is. I will be doing this every spring just to make sure everything is good.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
scubaz71,

Cool. Glad to hear it isnt that bad of job. I had 1/2 an hour Saturday to try it. I just did the cable adjuster and got the handle sweet spot farther back from the edge - but no enough. Went to a short ride and the spot went back to toward the end again. Need to do all I guess. Maybe one day this week I will do all. Just need to find time.... Between working tons and my in-laws in, I have no time for anything. Raining here like mad too does not help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts