Road Glide banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some info on a clutch

I currently run a stock clutch with the SE Clutch Spring. It seemed to be working pretty well but I detect slip now and again. The bike with the setup in my sig has 120 HP and 124 TQ.

I have been thinking about a Bandit Clutch, a Barnett Clutch or just a AIM VP92.

I want it to come on hard down low (2000 RPMS) and pull all the way to redline. The VP's concern me maybe because they are not much better than stock down low, but are better up high.

I think the Barnett and Bandit pull hard down low and all the way up at the expense of a harder clutch lever, which doesnt really concern me.

Last off, anyone running a Rekluse Clutch, either the EXP or Torque Drive? curious how they are.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'm running Bandit clutches in several bikes. Good clutches. They have 250% of the surface area of a normal HD clutch and so there is a lot of holding power for anything that you throw at it. Only drawback is that Bandit wants you to use less oil in the primary and there would be a concern with the compensator not getting sufficient fluid. I've only had to replace one compensator at 25,000 miles which seems to be about normal even when using a normal amount of fluid.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I run a bandit in my 2015
Silver springs 3 shims
No issues

The aim is a great set up but I get nervous with stock hub when pushing higher hp/tq

But for the the price with a bandit you get hub clutches plates springs and shims etc.,

If you have questions please call us I would be happy to give you more input.
Thanks FD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you guys just confirmed what I already know. I kind of wanted to try a Barnett and hear a little about it from people that have it but I think the Bandit is the right choice. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same question as Hammer Down about clutches, but also want to know about compensator. Y'all have pretty much answered the clutch question. I'm building a 124 and i know i will need a different clutch, but what about the compensator. I have read a lot in the forums and elsewhere that the stock compensator won't hold up to big HP or big TQ motors. What's the best option? SE or is there something out there better?

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
I have the same question as Hammer Down about clutches, but also want to know about compensator. Y'all have pretty much answered the clutch question. I'm building a 124 and i know i will need a different clutch, but what about the compensator. I have read a lot in the forums and elsewhere that the stock compensator won't hold up to big HP or big TQ motors. What's the best option? SE or is there something out there better?
Baker drivetrain came out with a compensator this year. I have not read any reviews from anyone with more than a couple hundred miles yet to know about how well it holds up though. Can't be any worse than the SE version.

You could also look into a solid sprocket like Vulkanworks. Several of us on here are using it without issue. If your building a 124 I assume the crank will be done up so you shouldn't have any issue with a sprocket.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Evolution Diamond Terminator clutch, evolution sprocket, Baker adjuster. About 11K so far with heavy loading and hard use...absolutely flawless and bulletproof. Clutch is probably the best single thing in my build.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Evolution Diamond Terminator clutch, evolution sprocket, Baker adjuster. About 11K so far with heavy loading and hard use...absolutely flawless and bulletproof. Clutch is probably the best single thing in my build.

I've heard great things about the evolutiuon clutches. I called and talked to them a while ago when I was having problems with a barnett scorpion clutch. I'm using a evolution clutch basket. How's the lever pull?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
When we campaigned our 108" AHDRA Modified Class bike, we tried to side-step the Bandit unit with it's adjustable lock-up hat.
Should have cut to the quick and purchased it from those folks out of the gate, as all clutch-related issues were gone then.
Top quality product, with easy lever pull.
Do not read that the AIM unit is bad, or sub-standard as it is not.
We stock 2-3 of those at any given time.
We always pair those up with a Barnett spring.
Scott

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've heard great things about the evolutiuon clutches. I called and talked to them a while ago when I was having problems with a barnett scorpion clutch. I'm using a evolution clutch basket. How's the lever pull?
Lever pull is stiffer than stock. I started with 3 light and 3 medium springs...no problem. When I switched the 3 lights for 3 heavy springs, I added an aftermarket ramp which probably reduced the pull slightly from the original setup. Didn't need the heavy springs...it's just what I had to try. I don't notice the lever at all unless I get stuck in traffic, but even the stock pull sucks if you pull it 100 times in a half a block.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.