Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tried to find info but couldn't locate anything this specific....I'm on a 2017 RGU

Today I was on a ride with 9 other bikes. Good ride, spent about 7 hours out with a few stops in between riding. On the last stop just before we broke off to go home, we all mounted back up and got ready to go. The bike was parked and in gear, so I went through the usual deal...helmet, ignition switch, run switch, clutch, and then start. When I hit the start switch, nothing happened. Everything electronic worked so it wasn't the battery. I originally thought it was the security system not allowing the bike to crank, but I watched/heard the system disengage after the ignition switch. I tried multiple times to get crank the bike with the clutch in and it would not. Several hung back to help when they saw I was not able to get cranked. We tried a few things, but ultimately what ended up working was to put the bike in neutral and it cranked right up.

I tried again when I got home and it did the same thing. I've never had any issue with it until now and it's gone from never happening to every time. It appears that the bike doesn't see that the clutch is engaged. Has any one heard of this and if so, how do I fix it?

Also, my concern is that if they bike doesn't know the clutch is engaged, could that cause the bike to lunge forward at some point...like sitting at a red light? I started thinking on the way home and started really worrying about it.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
it isn't a clutch issue. it is a neutral safety switch issue. did you recently do any work on the clutch perch side? new grips, etc? there is a small switch in there just like on the brake side and if the little tit gets broken off, then it won't let you start the bike if it is in gear.

i wouldn't worry about the bike 'lunging forward' when you're at a stop. the switch has no bearing on whether or not the clutch will engage/disengage.

but i really would get it replaced. being able to start your bike in gear with the clutch pulled could be a very valuable thing to be able to do. you don't want to be doing the first gear-second gear-first gear... dance if your bike stalls in an intersection and you need to get it started quickly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it isn't a clutch issue. it is a neutral safety switch issue. did you recently do any work on the clutch perch side? new grips, etc? there is a small switch in there just like on the brake side and if the little tit gets broken off, then it won't let you start the bike if it is in gear.

i wouldn't worry about the bike 'lunging forward' when you're at a stop. the switch has no bearing on whether or not the clutch will engage/disengage.

but i really would get it replaced. being able to start your bike in gear with the clutch pulled could be a very valuable thing to be able to do. you don't want to be doing the first gear-second gear-first gear... dance if your bike stalls in an intersection and you need to get it started quickly.
Thanks for the reply! I should have mentioned that the clutch is factory. No work or replacement lever/stuff has been done. I did replace the grips, but they've been on for about 9 months with no issue until today.

That makes sense on the lunging thing. Eases my mind. It's still under warranty so I'm definitely going to get it replaced.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
as an avid rider for the past 50 years i have gotten into the habit of starting in neutral with the clutch engaged.
not being critical, i just think with 25K on the line you might want to get into the same habit.

if you want a real good time get on an old bike and start it in gear.
on one occasion when i had an intermittent ignition problem on a custom i did the two-footed steer drag-down in a parking lot.
tried to bump start it and it took off on me. all i could do was hang on and try to shut 'er down.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
as an avid rider for the past 50 years i have gotten into the habit of starting in neutral with the clutch engaged.
not being critical, i just think with 25K on the line you might want to get into the same habit.

I also hold the front brake lever as well as in neutral with the clutch engaged. Continue to hold the front brake lever when putting into first.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts

if you want a real good time get on an old bike and start it in gear.
on one occasion when i had an intermittent ignition problem on a custom i did the two-footed steer drag-down in a parking lot.
tried to bump start it and it took off on me. all i could do was hang on and try to shut 'er down.
I agree with starting in neutral, but it is important to be able to have the ability to start in gear with the clutch pulled in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts