Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded my '06 FLHTCUI for a new '19 FLTRX. I test rode the Road Glide with the M8 and I was hooked. I really like the shark fairing, the extra power, and the smoothness of the M8 engine. I managed to put almost 3500 miles on the bike so far this year. I had the break in maintenance done at the dealer @ 1k miles and everything seemed fine until this week while riding home on the first really warm day. The clutch started slipping really bad. I slowly nursed the bike home and parked it. I attempted to start her the next morning and all I could get was a spinning sound from the starter with a real slow engine engagement. I trailered it to the dealer I bought it from and they told me they were backed up and could not get to it for 2 weeks. I never had any major issues like this with my '06. I would just like to put this out there to see if anyone else has had clutch issues with their M8 RG. Update - The dealer has had my bike for 8 days now and has not even started on it yet. They said they will try to get to it next week. WTF?

·
Registered
290 Posts
My suspicion is - seeing as I have been likewise afflicted - that you have oil transfer from trans to primary, and over the last couple of thousand miles so much has gone into your primary that it has ruined your clutch action.

Already, your dealer does not sound too impressive. I do wish you good luck.

I pulled my derby cover BEFORE my 1000 mile initial service, just to check for this very issue...and yup, I have transfer....so i went in armed with knowledge.

If I was you...I would get down to your dealer, and ask them to do just ONE thing that will take 5minutes only......remove the derby cover in front of you. Tell them to have an oil pan handy.... see what happens.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I recently traded my '06 FLHTCUI for a new '19 FLTRX. I test rode the Road Glide with the M8 and I was hooked. I really like the shark fairing, the extra power, and the smoothness of the M8 engine. I managed to put almost 3500 miles on the bike so far this year. I had the break in maintenance done at the dealer @ 1k miles and everything seemed fine until this week while riding home on the first really warm day. The clutch started slipping really bad. I slowly nursed the bike home and parked it. I attempted to start her the next morning and all I could get was a spinning sound from the starter with a real slow engine engagement. I trailered it to the dealer I bought it from and they told me they were backed up and could not get to it for 2 weeks. I never had any major issues like this with my '06. I would just like to put this out there to see if anyone else has had clutch issues with their M8 RG. Update - The dealer has had my bike for 8 days now and has not even started on it yet. They said they will try to get to it next week. WTF?
Curious, which dealer are you using?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 CVO that I purchased in Aug of 18. My clutch did the exact same around 3800 miles. Took it in to get the recall items replaced and thought it was fixed. It started again and the dealer said that the clutch is smoked (4100 miles). HD will not warranty the clutch. HD told the dealer that I was an inexperienced rider that didn't now how to use a hydro clutch. Also as a side thought, keep your eyes on the powder coating and seat stitching. Both failing and HD won't cover it, said it was cause by improper maintenance /abuse. Ready to float test this bike and find a company thats stands behind there products. I am gonna try screaming eagle clutch plates and give this whole situation one last chance.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have a 2018 CVO that I purchased in Aug of 18. My clutch did the exact same around 3800 miles. Took it in to get the recall items replaced and thought it was fixed. It started again and the dealer said that the clutch is smoked (4100 miles). HD will not warranty the clutch. HD told the dealer that I was an inexperienced rider that didn't now how to use a hydro clutch. Also as a side thought, keep your eyes on the powder coating and seat stitching. Both failing and HD won't cover it, said it was cause by improper maintenance /abuse. Ready to float test this bike and find a company thats stands behind there products. I am gonna try screaming eagle clutch plates and give this whole situation one last chance.
It sucks that this had to be your first post but welcome to the forum! I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with all my Harleys and customer service from dealers and it sucks to hear negative stories like yours and a few others I’ve heard on forum. Hope you get your problem fixed!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Any updates yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. I finally got my bike back. The dealer said that the compensator was broken. He replaced the assembly. He said this is the first time he saw this happen to an M8. I asked service manager about transfer on M8 engines and he said that had been a problem with a few 17s and 18s. Wife was with me and she told me to check transmission lube anyway right in front of service manager. I'm glad I did. Transmission was bone dry with bike on jiffy. He had a mechanic fill with Syn and told me to watch it closely. You can bet I will. Service manager said it needs to be documented twice before TMC will send a repair kit for it. So if TMC knows this is still an issue why wait until it appears before they repair it?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Update. I finally got my bike back. The dealer said that the compensator was broken. He replaced the assembly. He said this is the first time he saw this happen to an M8. I asked service manager about transfer on M8 engines and he said that had been a problem with a few 17s and 18s. Wife was with me and she told me to check transmission lube anyway right in front of service manager. I'm glad I did. Transmission was bone dry with bike on jiffy. He had a mechanic fill with Syn and told me to watch it closely. You can bet I will. Service manager said it needs to be documented twice before TMC will send a repair kit for it. So if TMC knows this is still an issue why wait until it appears before they repair it?

Because it is not an issue with most of the bikes and there are people out there that do their own services and don't fill the fluids properly and then want to claim they have the issue. It is a pain for the ones that have a legitimate issue but as much as it cost the MoCo I don't really blame them for wanting to be sure that the issue truly exist. Also, there are cases where the issue just went away on its own and never returned. Pretty common practice really across the board even in the automobile industry.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That’s good you checked! Keep a good eye on it and don’t let the dealer give you the run around! I think it’s nonsense that the MoCo is so picky about offering these kits. IMO, they should do the right thing and recall ALL M8 bikes and install those kits! But you know that’s not happening lol

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Really sorry you have to deal with shit like this instead of just riding your scoot..Just curious, is this the dealer you bought the bike at?

. He said this is the first time he saw this happen......
The famous HD Service Mgr saying, they must teach them that at HD school <rolling eyes & smh>

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you would have any way to have known to ask about a situation like this right before you purchased the bike I’m sure they would tell you they would jump right on something like that. A newly purchased bike should get prompt attention, but so should everything else. This is the stuff that will make this my first and last Harley. Sad thing is Harley had me, but lost me.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
at the very least, with a known problem, common sense dictates they should have been the ones checking the transmission level.

pushing a new bike to the end of the line is not good business. it's pure and simple greed.

does anybody know if there is a way to report this kind of activity to someone who will fix the problem?

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Change dealerships !

·
Registered
126 Posts
Harley has a long history of putting their head in the sand. I had a 2001 with with less than 3,000 miles, had three (3) tow ins! One was for a broken belt. Owner of dealership said ya they know bunch of bad belts. No Recall, Harley said let em go out on the road, then we'll fix em.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Harley has a long history of putting their head in the sand.
yeah, i guess i'm comparing my M8 to my EVO too much.

all i had to worry about was to let it get heat built up in the cylinders before riding off lol

never had to take that one to the dealer!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts