Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What clutch is a good replacement for the stock factory clutch? I have close to 50k on the odometer and will be changing out the stock compensator for a 30 tooth sprocket. I will also be putting in a screaming eagle pressure plate at the time. As always thanks for your help.

·
Registered
365 Posts
What clutch is a good replacement for the stock factory clutch? I have close to 50k on the odometer and will be changing out the stock compensator for a 30 tooth sprocket. I will also be putting in a screaming eagle pressure plate at the time. As always thanks for your help.

What year bike do you have I have the stock clutch from my 2016 FLRTXS 10 mles I might sell. If you want to go new I decided to go Bandit Sportsman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
If it has been working fine for the last 50k, then why spend the extra money on upgrades you don't need. Throw some new friction and steel plates and roll with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Barnett offers replacement parts now, Clutch baskets, inner hubs.

But if your not having any real issues, I'd check the bearings, replace the clutch plates along with the SE Spring.

Getting away from stock can get expensive, but it sure looks pretty

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bike is a 2011 rgu. I wanted information on the subject because it seems while looking around here everything Harley puts into the bike is cheap and there seems to be something better on the aftermarket. I have ridden my bike close to 50k miles with the stock motor and am wanting a little bit more now. I know through past experience that this will continue to grow but budget being a factor I'm content to do a little at a time. I plan on putting Andrews 57H cam in then after seeing how everything feels upgrading the clutch plates and pads. I just had carpul tunnel surgery so I'm considering a product to help lighten the clutch pull as well. I'm sure my grip will get stronger again with use but a lighter clutch would be nice as well. This getting older sh!t sucks, but I've heard it beats the alternative. :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm seeing two different flavors of clutch disks on Barnett's site: Kevlar and carbon fiber. Which is better? I just like to ride without blowing up the bike. I seldom reach 5000 rpm but I suppose that might change if/when I put in the 30 tooth sprocket.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My bike is a 2011 rgu. I wanted information on the subject because it seems while looking around here everything Harley puts into the bike is cheap and there seems to be something better on the aftermarket. I have ridden my bike close to 50k miles with the stock motor and am wanting a little bit more now. I know through past experience that this will continue to grow but budget being a factor I'm content to do a little at a time. I plan on putting Andrews 57H cam in then after seeing how everything feels upgrading the clutch plates and pads. I just had carpul tunnel surgery so I'm considering a product to help lighten the clutch pull as well. I'm sure my grip will get stronger again with use but a lighter clutch would be nice as well. This getting older sh!t sucks, but I've heard it beats the alternative. :)

I would replace with stock plates, with stock spring and add a FM or AIM Variable Pressure clutch to it. I had 97hp and 112tq on my 2012 SG 103 it worked awesome and reduced pull not increase it never slipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the recommendation. I have been looking at that but wasn't sure of how well it worked.

·
Registered
987 Posts
If it were me I'd inspect the stock clutch & repair & replace any plates, bearings, etc that need to be replaced. I ran the stock clutch in my 02 FLHT with a 98" & later a 95" motor, and pulled a trailer with that bike, with no clutch problems. It had a Barnett spring in it & that made the lever pull very stiff. I have a Rivera Pro clutch in my 96 Fatbot with a 120hp/120 tq motor, and it is holding up quite well. The lever pull on that bike is very light.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
546 Posts
Big Norm, I had the carbon fiber in my 113", worked well but didn't last as long as the Kevlar. My best set up was stock plates SE spring, and a VPC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts