Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I need a little advice from my mechanic friends. A few days ago I was riding and my clutch started feeling strange. A little bit later, when I pulled in the clutch lever, it went to the grip and the cable 'retainer' (for lack of a better word) popped out of the lever housing.

My first thought was that I'd snapped a clutch cable. However, the clutch didn't act like that. In fact, it was sort of half engaged. I could start and stop the bike. I could even shift between gears a bit.The clutch was slipping so much that I could barely make 20mph. I babied it home, maybe 4-5 miles. Long story short, I took it apart today and I found that one of the ball bearings in the ball/ramp assy had popped out of place.

I disassembled and cleaned everything. I found a little bit of pitting on one of the inner ramps (see pics). So, I guess I'll replace the inner and outer ramp assemblies (about $30 worth of parts). My question is, has anyone seen this happen? Any opinions on whether I should be worried about anything else, or just reassemble, adjust and move on?

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
The Same But Different

Hey all. I need a little advice from my mechanic friends. A few days ago I was riding and my clutch started feeling strange. A little bit later, when I pulled in the clutch lever, it went to the grip and the cable 'retainer' (for lack of a better word) popped out of the lever housing.

My first thought was that I'd snapped a clutch cable. However, the clutch didn't act like that. In fact, it was sort of half engaged. I could start and stop the bike. I could even shift between gears a bit.The clutch was slipping so much that I could barely make 20mph. I babied it home, maybe 4-5 miles. Long story short, I took it apart today and I found that one of the ball bearings in the ball/ramp assy had popped out of place.

I disassembled and cleaned everything. I found a little bit of pitting on one of the inner ramps (see pics). So, I guess I'll replace the inner and outer ramp assemblies (about $30 worth of parts). My question is, has anyone seen this happen? Any opinions on whether I should be worried about anything else, or just reassemble, adjust and move on?
I had something similar but different happen. While riding around I pulled the clutch in at a stoplight and I felt something like what you described. I nearly lost all clutch control by the next light so I limped it home since that was where I was headed anyway. It wound up being the clutch throw-out bearing, after putting everything back together with no change in my problem. Turns out my throw-out bearing failed and came apart, letting the balls fall out of the ramps. I replaced the bearing and it all worked as it was supposed to.

I would put it back together and make sure it works first, or better yet, inspect the bearing BEFORE putting it back together. The balls should NOT fall out of the ramps for no reason. Something else is going on, IMO of course.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
That little smooth looking oclusion looks like a little fawl in the castig and being more of a pit may not affect

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys, especially EODHOG. Your post got me thinking. I'm running a 124" motor, along with an Evolution Diamond Terminator clutch with heavy duty springs (Red). I'm sure that puts extra pressure on that throwout bearing.

I looked into it further and Baker makes a heavy duty throwout bearing kit. It's got a bigger bearing, larger thrust washers (97% more surface area, they say). It also comes with the balls and ramps, etc. I've got one on the way and hope to install it this weekend.

Thanks again. -J

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys, especially EODHOG. Your post got me thinking. I'm running a 124" motor, along with an Evolution Diamond Terminator clutch with heavy duty springs (Red). I'm sure that puts extra pressure on that throwout bearing.

I looked into it further and Baker makes a heavy duty throwout bearing kit. It's got a bigger bearing, larger thrust washers (97% more surface area, they say). It also comes with the balls and ramps, etc. I've got one on the way and hope to install it this weekend.

Thanks again. -J
So the conclusion is to throw bigger balls at it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts