Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch slipping issue is back on the 2011 RGU (added a Clutch Wiz and Evo spring (replacing the heavy duty Barnett spring)) so I am going to replace my clutch disks. I was looking at the Barnett replacements but have a couple of questions - Kevlar or carbon fiber (and whats the difference) and should I get the extra plate (what does that do for me?)

torque & hp are both at 112/102

THanks for your inputs

·
Registered
593 Posts
A local shop that builds Harley's for drag racing talked me into the Alto Carbonite clutch kit on my last bike. Less money than Barnett and the best working clutch I ever had.

Reactions: ksarauer

·
The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
13,005 Posts
My clutch started slipping in 6th gear last year so I replaced it with a Barnett Kevlar +1 Clutch, a AIM Variable Pressure Clutch with a 340 lb. Clutch Spring and a AIM Billet Pressure Plate and my Glide Shifts and runs great with that setup. I use B&M Trick Shift Trans Fluid in the Primary and find neutral very easily.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My clutch slipping issue is back on the 2011 RGU (added a Clutch Wiz and Evo spring (replacing the heavy duty Barnett spring)) so I am going to replace my clutch disks. I was looking at the Barnett replacements but have a couple of questions - Kevlar or carbon fiber (and whats the difference) and should I get the extra plate (what does that do for me?)

torque & hp are both at 112/102

THanks for your inputs
I have the same setup, was your clutch slipping before this, or do you believe it's caused by this? I've had this setup for about 2 years now and 8 thousand miles without any problems myself. I also ride by bike hard at times and got some go fast goodies that make my bike about the same power as yours.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Can someone explain to me why the issues with clutches. I have put over 80K on a stock HD clutch and put just as many miles and more on other HD bikes.
I have never had to have a stock HD clutch replaced or repaired .
Slow speed riding I have rode the clutch hard and not babied them a bit.
Then I see threads like this. If it was this bad I would be replacing clutches 3 times a year. Of is there another cause.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can someone explain to me why the issues with clutches. I have put over 80K on a stock HD clutch and put just as many miles and more on other HD bikes.
Then I see threads like this. If it was this bad I would be replacing clutches 3 times a year. Of is there another cause.
I wish someone could explain it to me too. BUT all I can do is state what happened with mine (started slipping in 5th gear during a high speed pass) I would never consider myself hard on clutches at all. But I went with the heavier spring and that took care of the issue then added the clutch wiz and the evo spring and had the slipping issue again. Played with different oils (ATF - no slip, 20W50 dino motorcycle oil-had slip back to ATF - no slip), So changed out the clutch pack (Barnett Carbon Fiber +1) Still using the Clutch Wiz & the Evo Spring - Used Castrol RS V-Twin 20W50 oil and thought - "WOW! this is how a clutch should feel." Very please with how it is now. (original plates were burned) Root cause for the clutch slipping - Your guess is as good as mine. BUT! I started using Redline Primary oil @ 25k miles, changed primary oil @ 35k again with Redline and the original clutch slip developed around 40k. So based on that correlation I will not use Redline Primary oil. I'll just stay with a synthetic 20W50 in the primary. (choosing synthetic because of the heat)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Ahhh gotcha so you had issues before even putting in the heavier spring and clutch witz. Yeah man you prob just got a defective clutch pack from the factory and it wore out faster than normal. Sorry to hear the headaches it's been causing you.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

There are a fair number of people out there that are abusing the hell out of their clutch and don't even realize it. Go anywhere there's a large group of bikes and you will see several that don't have a clue how to get started from a stop.
A LOT of people slip their clutch WAY further than they should every time they take off.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Wet clutch riding it a bit will do little to hurt it. Playing around with riding skills we do it for long periods of time testing and improving slow speed riding skills. My own experience and not one person I know and ride with has ever had to replace a stock HD clutch, make me wonder . There must be more to the story.
Use nothing special HD F+ in primary adjust it every 5K at oil change.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I too have had slippage in 6th gear but it was after I did the 107" motor big upgrade. So I put in a Screamin Eagle Variable Pressure Clutch and it is all gone. By the way I have been using Redline oil in all holes with no problems unless it's just a coincidence. I adjusted my clutch after install of VPC and I've been putting down the power and torque to the ground with no problems other than I want more power !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.