Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have a few miles on the new cams I notice some clutch slip at the top of 3rd and 4th when I am really winding it up. Never did this before and I know its from the aditional power. What is the best fix for this? I assume the SE clutch spring is what most guys do to fix this?

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I know when I did the 103 big bore kit in my 08 the big bore kit came with the SE clutch spring.
It would seem that when the MOCO went from the 96 engine to the 103 engine they would have put a stronger spring in the clutch. I would compare part #s on the stock clutch spring and the SE clutch spring before jumping into doing this upgrade.
I would think that just doing a cam upgrade would not be enough gain in torque to warrant a clutch spring upgrade. So make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly first.
Also when hitting the top of the rpm power range which in most cases it will be somewhere around 4500 rpm +/- and above the torque curve is going to start dropping off and the higher the rpm the more the torque curve will drop so don't confuse this with with a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The other thing to consider is if you are running synthetic in teh primary or regular oil. Synthetic has a tendency to cause clutch slippage. I had this issue on my built 95" dyna with heads and cams and regular oil in the primary. I put in the S/E spring and it was a thing of the past.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I changed my clutch spring and I run type F in my primary. I started with Barnetts HD spring (450lbs) and found the lever pull was just too tough for all day riding. I could do it but was just tired of it. I switched to the Barnett standard clutch spring (350lbs) and it seems to be getting the job done. The SE spring is about 380lbs. If you do decide to change the spring keep this in mind. Alot of posts on VPC and clutchwiz if you do decide to go heavier in the spring...

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
A little more expensive than a clutch spring, but the Variable Pressure Clutch (VPC) will also do the trick. The advantage to it verses the spring is it does not affect the clutch pull on your hand.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would get rid of synthetic and run formula plus, thats what i did in mine and slip went away. Just have to change it every 5000 instead of 10

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked up a SE spring the other day, going to get it in soon. What is the gizmo that makes the clutch pull easier called? Not the clutchwiz one, the one that goes on the cable side??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts