Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Directly after I put my cams and baker compensator in the clutch started slipping on the way home from my brothers house.
(I checked adjustment at the primary while I was in there.) I adjusted it to grab earlier and it seemed to do fine. At least I don't notice any slippage. It is harder to find neutral and I prefer my clutch to engage further out where I can use two fingers rather than having to use all 4 and mash it all the in to disengage. The clutch has 40k miles on it. Question is should I replace the clutches, the clutches and plates or just go to a heavier spring?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm having that problem also. I went ahead and picked up a SE clutch spring today. I am hoping this will cure my slipping problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I installed the SE Spring in my bike and Barnett clutches. Don't know if the hydraulic clutch made the difference, but it is a handful now and you don't want to get caught up in slow moving traffic. Also with the clutches, it releases different from the stock setup.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Directly after I put my cams and baker compensator in the clutch started slipping on the way home from my brothers house.
(I checked adjustment at the primary while I was in there.) I adjusted it to grab earlier and it seemed to do fine. At least I don't notice any slippage. It is harder to find neutral and I prefer my clutch to engage further out where I can use two fingers rather than having to use all 4 and mash it all the in to disengage. The clutch has 40k miles on it. Question is should I replace the clutches, the clutches and plates or just go to a heavier spring?
Install a AIM VPC. you won't have nay more issues. The SE spring will make your arms like Popeye. Lol

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I have the SE clutch spring in my 107 with heads and cams, works well. I don't notice a problem in traffic, maybe I am just used to it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I plan on doing a Barnett extra plate kit and their spring conversion. It ditches the pressure plate and uses coils instead. It has 6 spring buckets and comes with 6 stiff springs and 6 soft springs so you can mix and match for your needs.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have the SE clutch spring in my 107 with heads and cams, works well. I don't notice a problem in traffic, maybe I am just used to it.
Similar here, 106 stock heads. Used the SE spring there is no slippage. It takes a touch more to pull but no big deal at all

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

Have the same in my 107, takes a little more to pull in but you get used to it. Besides I find the right hand was getting stronger with all the throttle twisting one has to perform on the 107, now the left is catching up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I plan on doing a Barnett extra plate kit and their spring conversion. It ditches the pressure plate and uses coils instead. It has 6 spring buckets and comes with 6 stiff springs and 6 soft springs so you can mix and match for your needs.
I used that kit in my Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I made a huge difference in that bike.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I used that kit in my Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I made a huge difference in that bike.
I used a Barnett in my Yamaha Warrior also. I'm looking at the Clutch Wiz and the Barnett. I don't know which would be better.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The Aims VPC-95 with the Alto Cabonite plates is a great setup that keeps the easy pull and works like a champ. Plates come with a lifetime guarantee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Similar here, 106 stock heads. Used the SE spring there is no slippage. It takes a touch more to pull but no big deal at all
This.....I question anyone who says it increases the pull much as likely never having experienced one? When I went to my 98" the clutch immediately started slipping all over the place...I started shopping AIM clutches and options...My mechanic laughed and said just put the SE spring in. He was right. Hasn't slipped since and I don't think I even noticed the difference in the clutch lever.

Reactions: MightyWhitey

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I installed the energy one extra plate kit with heavier spring and all is good now. The clutches I took out still looked like new and my bro said they looked like Barnett.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I put the SE spring in my bike when I put the 110 Big Bore kit in. It was part of the kit. I've been riding it for over 5 years and 65K miles. No slippage there. Only time I noticed the difference was when the service dept replaced the clutch pack assembly under warranty (worn/broken splines) and put the new, stock spring in.

I knew right away there was a problem. The pull was too light. Thankfully they had not tossed the old SE spring yet. They reinstalled it and everything was good.

As for it being too hard to pull, it pulls easier than the SE clutch pack/spring in my daughter's 98 Sporty.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
This.....I question anyone who says it increases the pull much as likely never having experienced one? When I went to my 98" the clutch immediately started slipping all over the place...I started shopping AIM clutches and options...My mechanic laughed and said just put the SE spring in. He was right. Hasn't slipped since and I don't think I even noticed the difference in the clutch lever.
Maybe thats because you already have Popeye arms...lol

Reactions: turbochrisb
1 - 20 of 22 Posts