Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yesterday I'm riding along the highway around 75 leading a run. We change lanes and I give it a bit of throttle. The bike revs like crazy, but speed doesn't increase. We get off and check my fluids, all good. Give it a little test on a side road, and I can almost redline it while barely moving. If I'm super gentle accelerating it seems ok. So I limped it home, and checked everything out again. Trans level is spot on, primary level is right where it's supposed to be.
This is on a 17 RGS with only 7k on it.
Anyone else have anything similar happen to them? If so, what fixed it?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
So, yesterday I'm riding along the highway around 75 leading a run. We change lanes and I give it a bit of throttle. The bike revs like crazy, but speed doesn't increase. We get off and check my fluids, all good. Give it a little test on a side road, and I can almost redline it while barely moving. If I'm super gentle accelerating it seems ok. So I limped it home, and checked everything out again. Trans level is spot on, primary level is right where it's supposed to be.
This is on a 17 RGS with only 7k on it.
Anyone else have anything similar happen to them? If so, what fixed it?
I am not an expert but I've heard others describe similar symptoms that turned out to be the sumping issue. Are you stage 3 or 4?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither. Motor is stock internally. I thought about sumping at first. But the motor is running perfect. I also thought it could be transfer from trans to primary, but that's not the case either.
I do know I'm not overly happy about it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I installed cams in my 13 and the clutch started slipping with only 1300 miles on it. I did some research and decided to install the SE clutch plate and see if that helped. My stock clutch has been rock solid since the install. Simple install to try out and see if that works for you.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Had a buddy with the same problem on a '13, his was WAY over serviced. After he drained & re serviced , he was good. Doesn't seem to be the case here, though. Maybe try to re-adjust the clutch first .

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a hydraulic clutch. Not really any way to adjust it. And it sounds like Harley probably won't cover it. Spoke to the Service Manager this morning. He happens to be a good friend of mine. So I'm guessing I'll be looking at replacement recommendations if they won't.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got the bike back. It was the aftermarket clutch lever I put on a while back. Since the hydraulic clutch has no adjustment, the lever has to be made pretty precisely or the clutch will always be engaged just a little bit. And mine wasn't.
No clutch damage, and with the factory lever on it everything is good.
I'm glad it was something simple, but I guess it's something to watch out for on a system with no way to adjust anything.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well, I got the bike back. It was the aftermarket clutch lever I put on a while back. Since the hydraulic clutch has no adjustment, the lever has to be made pretty precisely or the clutch will always be engaged just a little bit. And mine wasn't.
I'm glad it was something simple, but I guess it's something to watch out for on a system with no way to adjust anything.
Out of curiosity what aftermarket clutch level were you using?

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Man that's great news brother.

So which aftermarket lever were you trying to use ???

Give everybody the heads up on what not to buy.

Swomack

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They were trigger levers from Ebay. I had the same ones on my 05 and they were great. But budget levers and a hydraulic clutch is a bad idea. I looked at the difference and modified the bad lever. I'm going to see if it works, but only for a test. I'm either going to get the Harley levers or just leave the stock ones on. I'm not risking it again.
To tell if aftermarket levers will work, check the stock ones first. My stock has just a touch of play, maybe 1 - 1.5mm.
The aftermarket had no play at all. It's because the pocket for the plunger isn't machined deep enough.
I dodged a bullet on this one. I'm not risking a second time.

·
Super Moderator
12,310 Posts
I had this happen to me last week. I checked everything, all fluid levels fine. 3 hours later, I can not get it to do the same thing, clutch is grabbing like new. Of course this is after I bought a new clutch. Lol....so now I have a spare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts