Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering which is better and why and which would be better with a DSR1 or other Digital sound processor? And work well with Biketronics 4180 amp at full power?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Donuts to donuts a component is better than a coaxial. It’s the physical construction. In a component setup each part (woofer and tweeter) does its own thing and does it very well. In a coax, one speaker must do both well so there has to be some sacrifice.

A good coax is always going to perform a tick or two below the same parts set up as components. Think of it like a vehicle. You can buy a sporty vehicle with 4wd, but it’s not the same as having a corvette and a monster truck.

A DSP will work with either setup, but is best for systems where the woofer and tweeter each have a separate channel on an amp and the DSP controls each channel separately so it can be set to optimize each piece.

The DSP will still work fine if the woofer and tweeter are on the same channel because it flattens the signal and allows you to use the equalizer, it’s just not as beneficial as doing each one separately.

Of course the real test is going down the road. I’ve never run a DSP with everything on its own channel so can’t tell you how big of a difference it makes. In a parking lot or slow cruising I’m sure it’s a massive difference. At speed I’m sure it’s still better, the question is how much better and I don’t know that answer.

I’m likely going to put a DSP on my CVO soon even though I really don’t need it for a simple 4 speaker setup. I just want to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
The other benefit of running components through a DSP is that you can have more control of each, and you are using the DSP as a crossover. The included crossovers with component grouped speakers suck up power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts