Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are much better tuners on the market when doing cams,ect,but the cobra is what i have for now,wanting to hear from those of you that do have or have had a cobra tuner then did a cam change,and what are your thoughts as its ability to handle the cams

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am considering a Cobra FI 2000 Power Pro tuner. Is this the one you have? So, do you not like your Cobra tuner?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have one and so far I can't see any differance except my mileage went to 27 mpg I called and they told me how to adjust it I'm fixing to add cams after I talk to woods I'll post on how she runs after I do the install.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have the cobra FI2000 and i love it,talked to the staff at cobra and this tuner has adjustments ,actually 3 pots you can adjust, for cams just not headwork from what i was told, a mild upgrade as you would call it,great unit for the money and for me,im considering cams but thats all,not headwork or big engine builds ,not my thing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Another noteable mention it works better if you have a non cat headpipe and free flowing mufflers and air cleaner, no i dont have the power pro.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Did you guys notice any fuel mileage changes I have decatted pipe stage1 and CFRs and I told them it seemed harder to start also but he told me not to wait for the fuel pump to prime and hit the start button and he was right it fires right up I don't have anything bad to say about the tuner at all I just didn't like 27 mpg but after adjusting it it seems to do better but there's nothing in the instructions about adjusting it so I felt a little stupid when I called and they ask if I had tried this or that I'm like what the hell are you talking about

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am considering a Cobra FI 2000 Power Pro tuner. Is this the one you have? So, do you not like your Cobra tuner?
No i think its great with no cat pipe,SE a/c and slip ons just wanted to know if anyone out there has already done a cam change with the cobra,and my gas milage is still 42-45,talked to the cobra people last feb at the trade show in Cincy they said that when you get over 575 lift especialy with the woods cams the tuners do have a little trouble,so thats why i got the woods 222's they are only 555 lift,i am planning on putting them in this winter.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And yes i have the 2000 model tuner

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you guys notice any fuel mileage changes I have decatted pipe stage1 and CFRs and I told them it seemed harder to start also but he told me not to wait for the fuel pump to prime and hit the start button and he was right it fires right up I don't have anything bad to say about the tuner at all I just didn't like 27 mpg but after adjusting it it seems to do better but there's nothing in the instructions about adjusting it so I felt a little stupid when I called and they ask if I had tried this or that I'm like what the hell are you talking about

Just tried not waiting until the fuel pump primes,and you are right,it has never started that fast even when it was new and stock

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just finished the install of SE255 cams, CompCams 850 lifters and Ness Big Sucker. Already had decatted head pipes and CVO slipons. My Power Pro seemed to do well with the head pipes and slip ons but the mileage seem to have dropped with the cams.

Can you elaborate on how to adjust the Cobra Tuner?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You twist the wire harnes going into the top and it will pop open and inside you will see a adjusting screw. I told him about my mpg and how it felt like it was loading up and he told me to turn it counter clockwise to lean it up 1/16 to 1/8th to start with. I tried to load a pic but since I updated my piece of crap iPhone it's telling me my file isn't valid if I figure it out I will shoot you a pic. But like most everyone I had no idea you could adjust it

·
Registered
149 Posts
With the decatted head pipes and CVO slipons the Cobra seemed to make it run cooler (richer). With the cams and big breather it seems to be running hotter, but also the mileage seems to have gone down. I will try adjusting it a little and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back to the original question,has any one done a cam change with a cobra tuner and what was your opinon

·
Site Sponsor
14 Posts
You definitely can change the cam and still use the PowrPro tuner. We recommend not going larger than a 575 cam, but some people do run a 585 and still love the tuner.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Well i dont have the power pro, i have the older FI2000, and that has a small door with 3 tuning pots that u can turn withna mirco screwdriver. Comes with instustions on setting for diff applications.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the Fi2000 PowerPro Auto Tune on my bike installing it when I put an AC, V&H exhaust and Andrews 48H cams (fairly mild). Bike fired right up the first time and haven't had any problems with it running. The bike does run a bit rich compared to stock and I've been told I'll get a little puff of black smoke from the exhaust under heavy acceleration. It hasn't bothered me enough to worry about it since the bike runs fine otherwise and I don't think I can adjust it. My average MPG went from 40.9 to 38.18 after the install but I'm a spirited rider. That was 15774mi ago.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the Fi2000 PowerPro Auto Tune on my bike installing it when I put an AC, V&H exhaust and Andrews 48H cams (fairly mild). Bike fired right up the first time and haven't had any problems with it running. The bike does run a bit rich compared to stock and I've been told I'll get a little puff of black smoke from the exhaust under heavy acceleration. It hasn't bothered me enough to worry about it since the bike runs fine otherwise and I don't think I can adjust it. My average MPG went from 40.9 to 38.18 after the install but I'm a spirited rider. That was 15774mi ago.
thanks this is what i was wanting to hear,dont want to change the tuner if i dont have to.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have one and so far I can't see any differance except my mileage went to 27 mpg I called and they told me how to adjust it I'm fixing to add cams after I talk to woods I'll post on how she runs after I do the install.

Similar experience hear .. no matter what I did or what adjustment they had me make still had poor mpg (they even sent me a new one) ended up cutting my losses and went with a PV .. went from around 30 mpg to low 40s

1 - 20 of 22 Posts