Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!!!!!! having all kinds of throttle by wire issues. I replaced the twist grip sensor, throttle body cleaned the pins on the connector going to the throttle body as well as the pins on the ECU. I inspected all wiring and took the motorcycle to the dealer. They are stumped. Even after all this troubleshooting and part replacements i still get these codes and it goes into limp in mode. Only thing left is the ECU. If i replace the ECU with a used one out of the same style motorcycle how does this work? Do new ones need to be set up by the dealer? I am tired of not being comfortable on my motorcycle fearing it will break

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a 2013 FLTRU 91,000 miles. I know what the codes are just cannot figure out what to do next. The only thing left is the ECM. I have replaced, inspected and looked at everything else.
That's my main question. Can I put a used one ECM and have it work with no issues or do i have to go to the dealer and let them install a new one. Any one have an idea?

·
Registered
558 Posts
The wires going into the throttle body at the bend are known for causing your problem. Pulling on one at a time to make sure they're good. Had those codes myself and that's what I found. They looked fine but had one broken.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
its a 2013 FLTRU 91,000 miles. I know what the codes are just cannot figure out what to do next. The only thing left is the ECM. I have replaced, inspected and looked at everything else.
That's my main question. Can I put a used one ECM and have it work with no issues or do i have to go to the dealer and let them install a new one. Any one have an idea?

Your next step is a) buy a electrical service manual and diagnose it properly. Or b) take it to a shop.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done that. Dealer had it for 3 days. Could not duplicate. Good thing they only charged me a shop fee of 10.00. He rode it for 3 hours. Their thought it's the Ecm going out.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Depends on what Tune is in the ecu you purchase or test run. Mine for example would not work for you even though it’s a 2013 RG I’ve got a different engine and it might start but it certainly wouldn’t run. If you knew the Test ecu was from a stock or stage 1 2013 it would work and assuming it’s the ecu then it would not exhibit any more issues.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The 2019's look real nice. :wink:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Done that. Dealer had it for 3 days. Could not duplicate. Good thing they only charged me a shop fee of 10.00. He rode it for 3 hours. Their thought it's the Ecm going out.

As in it didn't set the codes for them to read on the digitech? And you had previously cleared the historic codes? Or they cleared the existing codes and it didn't reset them? If they cleared the codes and still said no problem found, you need a better shop.

Let it set the codes, then take it in to the dealer with the codes in memory. That way there is an obvious issue that they can't duck.

No one really wants to get involved in this sort of repair, often way to much time and skill involved in the diagnosis, so when it shows no codes after a quick roll, they tend to kick em out the door.

If it is the ecm, then it would be the perfect time to upgrade it to an aftermarket unit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts