Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting the bike for the first time during the day the rpm's will go to 1500 then down to 1000 then back to 1500 and then back down to 1000, it will continue to do this for 60 to 90 seconds or until it warms up.
Any advice as where to look, I thought maybe the PCV but disconnected it and have the same issue at cold start.
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
219 Posts
Both of my fuel injected bikes have done this, both before and after the tuners were installed. I think(I hope) it's normal.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Did you try cycling the ignition on/off 5 times?
When there is a idle problem cycling the ignition on then wait for engine light to go off then turn ignition off do this 5 times and should reset the idle setting in the ECM.
This may help, it works when the bike has high idle problems.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Mine goes up to about 1500 for about 30 secs on cold starts then drops to normal idle. I believe that is normal. I did have an issue once about 2 years ago where the bike idled at almost 3000 rpms. I dealer told me about the idle reset that ironmark mentioned which i did, and it hasn't done it since. With both of my instances, the idle was steady. It sounds alil different than the OP's issue of the idle speed rising and falling. It may have something to do with the tuner

·
Registered
217 Posts
Same with mine too, i would not worry.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice I will try the reset and see.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Mine goes up to about 1500 for about 30 secs on cold starts then drops to normal idle. I believe that is normal. I did have an issue once about 2 years ago where the bike idled at almost 3000 rpms. I dealer told me about the idle reset that ironmark mentioned which i did, and it hasn't done it since. With both of my instances, the idle was steady. It sounds alil different than the OP's issue of the idle speed rising and falling. It may have something to do with the tuner
Mine does the same as rlaf75 . Cold start , goes to 1500 and stays there till warmed up then back to 1k.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As stated it should have a cold start idle, mine is around 1300 with the Thundermax, then it drops to 890 when hot. But it should not go up and down, if you continue to see it worsen be sure to check the engine temperature sensor, mine had a broken wire and it went from a small idle fluctuation to a floating idle of 3k that took it's time back to idle or the sensors do go bad on occasion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts