Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've compiled a list of more than 8000 passes, gaps, and summits across the US:

https://RideTheDivides.org

This website has lists and maps of geographically significant locations on pavement, gravel and dirt in every state (via drop down menu at the top of the home page). It also includes Google Maps and downloadable KML and GPX files, and a map of paved-only locations for western states (eastern states coming soon).

If you enjoy finding these features to ride, or if you just want to see any are near/on your route, the info is there. I've screened everything west of the Mississippi and sorted these locations into those I believe are publicly accessible by motorcycle and those likely not (private property, foot trail, etc). There's also an open Community page on Facebook of the same name--RideTheDivides.

I've ridden more than 300 of these locations, 200 of which are in Colorado. For those who share my interest, feel free to drop by and share stories, pictures, and info. This project is in its infancy--feedback is welcome! -Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
That's cool! I've heard that there's a lot of people that do it on foot, now a source for the bike. Thanks :grin:

·
Registered
794 Posts
RideTheDivides

I've compiled a list of more than 8000 passes, gaps, and summits across the US:

https://RideTheDivides.org

This website has lists and maps of geographically significant locations on pavement, gravel and dirt in every state (via drop down menu at the top of the home page). It also includes Google Maps and downloadable KML and GPX files, and a map of paved-only locations for western states (eastern states coming soon).

If you enjoy finding these features to ride, or if you just want to see any are near/on your route, the info is there. I've screened everything west of the Mississippi and sorted these locations into those I believe are publicly accessible by motorcycle and those likely not (private property, foot trail, etc). There's also an open Community page on Facebook of the same name--RideTheDivides.

I've ridden more than 300 of these locations, 200 of which are in Colorado. For those who share my interest, feel free to drop by and share stories, pictures, and info. This project is in its infancy--feedback is welcome! -Scott
The Red Rover, great website. Any chance you will be in Cripple Creek August 16 - 18, 2019 for the Veterans Rally?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Nice. Another resource.

I have been using www.gravelmap.com to help find all the gravel roads when I am on the adventure bike. This site relies on users to populate the gravel roads in their area to help others who are planning a ride. You can link photos to the roads and add a description.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Red Rover, great website. Any chance you will be in Cripple Creek August 16 - 18, 2019 for the Veterans Rally?
Likely be in Deadwood SD for Shark Week 9. But I'm around, if you ever want to meet up for a beer or whatever, drop me a line here or on Facebook www.facebook.com/scott.westfall.904

·
Registered
794 Posts
Likely be in Deadwood SD for Shark Week 9. But I'm around, if you ever want to meet up for a beer or whatever, drop me a line here or on Facebook www.facebook.com/scott.westfall.904
My wife and I will be up at Shark Week also. We are staying at the Double Tree by Hilton. I am considering spending Saturday at Sturgis, (camping at Rush-no-more campground) and meeting my wife on Sunday in Deadwood, (she is driving up with her sister and brother-in-law). We are scheduled to leave on Thursday and then head-up to Cripple Creek for the Veteran's Rally.

Thumbs up on a ride and a beer! I am headed to Myrtle Beach on the 7th and meeting my brother in Tunica Mississippi. Oh yeah, I do need a vacation. I will then need a vacation from my vacation...

I am a "recovering facebook user" and not on anymore. I grew weary of the crap political rantings and endless pictures of cats and cute babies. I am still in therapy :).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice. Another resource.

I have been using www.gravelmap.com to help find all the gravel roads when I am on the adventure bike. This site relies on users to populate the gravel roads in their area to help others who are planning a ride. You can link photos to the roads and add a description.
That's a neat website. I wonder if they publish that in a KML, I'll add it to my database to see if any passes appear on these roads. Too bad you're not near any passes--near being a relative term. I can say that east TN and west NC have over 2000 gaps and passes between them...

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
That's a neat website. I wonder if they publish that in a KML, I'll add it to my database to see if any passes appear on these roads. Too bad you're not near any passes--near being a relative term. I can say that east TN and west NC have over 2000 gaps and passes between them...
We do have ridges and hollows. :grin:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KML files now available for download at RideTheDivides.org. These contain place marks for all western states, with passes sorted by surface and accessibility. Plains and eastern states coming soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts