Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading off to Colorado at the end of the week. First stop is Durango... then gonna make a big loop. Can't wait.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I hope the Million Dollar Hwy is part of your loop....its all good but the stretch from Silverton to Ouray is amaaazing!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, but been there before. Plan to head east from Durango and make it up to Estes Park and do the Trail Ridge Road, and then Black Canyon of the Gunnison...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have fun those are all great roads. We went west out of Durango to Hwy 191 in Utah and rode north to Moab and Arches Nat'l Park. Awesome! Then took Hwy 129 from Moab to I-70, sweet road, follows the Colorado River.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have fun those are all great roads. We went west out of Durango to Hwy 191 in Utah and rode north to Moab and Arches Nat'l Park. Awesome! Then took Hwy 129 from Moab to I-70, sweet road, follows the Colorado River.
We're coming up 191 from AZ to 160 to Four Corners and on to Durango.
So many roads, so little time...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Colorado

Looks like you picked a perfect time. Weather should be great - cool air, clear sky and beautiful sites. Ride safe and enjoy! As the sign says "Welcome to Colorful Colorado."

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great to hear from a couple of guys in CO. We are really, really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Colorado passes and canyons, motorcycle roads in colorado. I found to be a great website to find some great looking roads. We want to see lots of pics. Planning to ride there next July. Good luck. Have a great ride!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
........ the foothills are signaling that it's 'bout color change time, the higher country should be starting already

......... enjoy your riding ......... and welcome to colorful Colorado !

·
Registered
343 Posts
We just came home from Durango today via Cortez and HWY 145 over Lizardhead Pass. There was just a touch of color here and there. Not much yet but it's coming.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In Gunnison for the night.
Durango up to Estes Park and ran Trail Ridge Road. Then headed down To Breckenridge and over Monarch Pass.
Lots of thunderstorm riding on first day. Didn't stop until south of Gallup, NM.
Fantastic scenery, awesome riding!
Plan to do Black Canyon in the morning.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Get up Monday morning and run Black Canyon. Perfect Monday.
We stopped by the lake outside of Gunninson. Kind of strange we saw a face up in the rocks.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got back home yesterday, the total ride was 1,895 miles.
Riding out of AZ last Friday we ran thru thunderstorms and lots of rain all the way to Gallup, NM. We saw very little rain in Colorado.

Six of us made the trip up to Durango. One guy was off to visit relatives the next day; another continued on to Washington to visit friends. Four of us, my GF and I plus 2 friends, continued on.

Friday night we stayed in Durango at a Best Western downtown. This allowed for a walking tour of downtown that included Carver Brewing!

Saturday morning we headed out east on 160 and stopped for lunch in Leadville. After lunch we ran up to Estes Park via I-70, 119 and 72. Much to our surprise there was a big annual Scottish-Irish festival going on. This meant no rooms available anywhere within a 30-mile radius. As we pondered our options in a Shell lot, we talked to a local resident who called a friend of his and he rented us a very nice condo for the night... right across the street from Estes Park Brewery.

On Sunday we went into RMNP and ran the Trail Ridge Road. We rode over to Kremmling and that's where our 2 buds split off. They were headed up to Steamboat and planned on doing some fly fishing. My GF and I rode off south on 9 thru Breckenridge to 50 and over to Gunnison for the night.

Monday morning we headed west to 92 and ran thru Black Canyon and on up to Delta, heading on 50 to Montrose and then the fabulous ride along 550 back to Durango. We stayed at the same Best Western and visited Steamworks Brewing. Wanted to check out Ska, but too far to walk back.

Tuesday morning looked like rain, so we geared up and got on the road. Having the rain gear on worked: we saw very little rain until we got to northeast AZ. We got to Payson - almost home - just to discover that 87 was closed due to a truck rollover. This would mean a considerable detour... and it started to rain. Luckily they opened up one southbound lane and we were able to get home. The return ride from Durango was about 9 hours.

Still need to go thru the photos and will post a few later.

Here is a quick map of our route:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts