Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group of us from Kansas are looking for recommendations on a Colorado bike trip. We are considering pulling Campers and bikes, finding a good campground as home base and ride in/out of there. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Just about anyplace you ride in CO is awesome. You can't go wrong just as long as you stay away from the big cities. The million dollar hwy is always a great destination and the southwest area of CO is a really nice area. I would recommend not having a base camp or home base instead just travel around to different areas and just setup for the evening. I alway do cheap hotels if I can when I do road trips, I don't need anything fancy just a place to shit, shower and shave that has a bed to sleep on and I'm happy. :wink:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Only ridden there once (last fall), but found Colorado to be a challenge to the "home base" model. Best I could do was two nights in any one location. For example, we rode Colorado Springs to Ouray where we stayed for two nights. Spent one day touring Telluride and the canyon road towards Grand Junction, then headed down the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton and Durango, where we spent two nights so that we could take the steam train for a day-ride. Then off to other points of interest. Camping is cooler/cold at those altitudes, regardless of time of year. Awesome sights, though. Bring the GoPro and take tons of pics.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glenwood Canyon just east of Gleenwood Springs is one of my favorites. San Juan Skyway is the SW corner is great too, it includes Silverton, Oray, Telluride and Durango.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Every mountain pass is great. Hard to find a bad road, as long as it's paved. Lol Camping in Colorado can be very difficult on a motorcycle. Almost all camp grounds are first come first serve, so hard to plan for a sleeping place for the night cause there might not be any spots left. Also if staying in elevated areas it will be cooler and it also tends to rain more in those areas too. We camped on our Colorado trip last summer and probably won't try it again. It's just a lot more enjoyable and convenient finding cheap hotels. We didn't use the home base approach though either. New place every night, just too much too see in Colorado.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Check out Roadrunner magazines online site. The do these shamrock tours in each issue where they stay at a base location and do 4 day loops in different directions like a 4 leaf clover. Not sure what they have for Colorado.

I camped at Mesa Verde which is a got spot to tour the amazing historic city built there. The park roads are fun. You can then run down to 4 corners.

Ouray is a nice place to stay. It is at the northern end of the million dollar highway.

Depending on the time of year and temps might determine at what altitude you want to camp. You can look at the averages for the time of year you are traveling and pick accordingly.

I changed locations every night the couple times I've been in Colorado so not much help with base camping.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Trailer to Denver, park at a storage facility, ride the bikes, and stay in hotels. My buddy and I rode out there from Tennessee last June. It got up to 106 degrees in eastern CO and KS coming back; throw in 40 mph cross winds. It added new meaning to the word suck. Never again.
Go mid June to mid September, otherwise you are risking snow closures in some of the passes. Get yourself an evaporative cooling vest as it gets hot in the lower altitudes. And it gets cold in the upper altitudes, plan accordingly. I use electrics.
The whole southwest corner of CO is great. 285 out of Denver to 50 to Montrose is a good way to get there.
Montrose, Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Grand Junction, Gunnison and all paved roads in between. 550 and 141 are excellent, just to name two.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Colorado trip

Ok guys, you can break Colorado up into 3 sections. Front range, mountains, and western slope/southwest. Front range has some cool stuff for sure. The mountains are even better, tons of awesome rides and stuff to see. The western slope and southwest are awesome to. I got tons of riding miles on this side. Leave you trucks and campers in Grand Junction(GJ) and you have riding for months. In GJ hit up the Colorado national monument, its a short ride but full of awesome scenery and curves. Be careful because its a long way down if you miss a turn, and its the same with red mountain pass out of Ouray. You have an option of heading to Moab from GJ and to the 4 corners, monument valley. Then back over to Durango. From Durango you have a few options to get back to GJ, go back through Telluride or head over red mountain pass to Ouray. I like that ride. Tons of amazing stuff to see, great ride. And from Ouray its not to far to Telluride. On your way back to GJ just outside of Montrose is Black Canyon, awesome views!! Great ride. You can even choose to go over the Grand Mesa and back to GJ that way. Im leaving lots out, but you get it. Lots of shit to see. Hit me up if you want to know more. Plus in GJ I own a indoor shooting range, shoot some full autos while resting up or getting bikes fixed. Free rides to and from the Harley shop.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Ok, lived in Colorado for quite a few years after raising my kids camping outside of Ouray for almost 20 years. Ridden every road that is worth riding in the state and there are a bunch of them.
Coming from Kansas, I would leave the trailer in Greeley, Co.
I would then ride to Loveland and go north on 287 until you can turn west on 14. Go west on 14 and go to Walden,Co. Nice little steak house and a couple of motorcycle friendly motels in this little town if you want to stay. If not keep on 14 until you come to 40 and go toward Steamboat Springs, great place to spend the night too and lots of choices. After that you could keep on 40 and turn south on 13 and then you can make your way to Glenwood Springs. Then go south on 82 and on to Aspen and that will take you over Independence Pass (great ride) and on into Buena Vista via 24. (good town to stay in also). Take 285 south to Hwy 50 and go west on 50 to Montrose. This will take you by Blue Mesa reservoir and The Black Canyon of the Gunnison both nice. Go south on 550 all the way to Ouray. Work your time out so you can spend the night in Ouray.

Next day back track 10 miles to Ridgway and go west on 62 to 145 which will take you to Telluride. After a stop in Telluride (don't stay here, overpriced and over rated) get back on 145 which takes you over Lizard Head Pass and on to Delores. Make you mind up here if you want to go to 4 corners and if you do that I would go to Mexican Hat and spend the night and eat at the Swinging Steak. Once you leave there, go back to hit 160 and it will take you to Durango. If you elected not to go to Mexican Hat, you would just go to Durango and make your way on 550 to the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton and back to Ouray for the night. The next day, I like to go back down the Million Dollar Highway the opposite way which looks completely different and go back to Durango and go east on 160 all the way to South Fork. At South Fork you go north on 149 which will lead you to Creede and north to Lake City. Somewhere between Creede and Lake City is where the Rio Grande river begins as a trickle. After Lake City you would continue north to Hwy 50 which is at Blue Mesa reservoir. Go east on 50 until you get to Hwy 9 and go north to Guffey and from Guffey take a really nice road to Cripple Creek, an old mining town and gambling town now. From there you take 67 to hwy 24 and go east and work your way to Pikes Peak and then you can go thru Garden of the Gods by way of Manitou Springs. To stay of the highway you can work your way north along the east side of the mountain range and work your way to Mt Evans. From there you have choices. Take some back roads and come into Grand Co. and come down thru Rocky Mt. National Park which will get you back to Greeley. There are so many choices to make and some great little towns along the way to stay. Check your mileage on this route and adjust for where you would like to stay. This trip I have done multiple times in both directions and does not disappoint. Others can chime in but this covers almost every great road in Colorado. There are some more great roads in southeast Co. such as the road of legends and more. Good luck, pm me if you have questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mt Evans highest paved road in North America, Pikes Peak almost as high but not quite, and the million dollar highway. Try to do one of them any chance I get.
Mt. Evans was the most rewarding ride I had in Co. did it at the end of august and the night before hey had 7" of snow. Hands were frozen but at the peak the views are amazing and the looks you get on a motorcycle are pretty awesome lol.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Coming from Kansas I hit the Royal Gorge bridge near Canon, then down through the Rio Grand Nat Forest to Durango. Don't miss Mesa Verde, Nat Park. Black Canyon of the Gunnison Nat Park is amazing with a great campground.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ok, lived in Colorado for quite a few years after raising my kids camping outside of Ouray for almost 20 years. Ridden every road that is worth riding in the state and there are a bunch of them.
Coming from Kansas, I would leave the trailer in Greeley, Co.
I would then ride to Loveland and go north on 287 until you can turn west on 14. Go west on 14 and go to Walden,Co. Nice little steak house and a couple of motorcycle friendly motels in this little town if you want to stay. If not keep on 14 until you come to 40 and go toward Steamboat Springs, great place to spend the night too and lots of choices. After that you could keep on 40 and turn south on 13 and then you can make your way to Glenwood Springs. Then go south on 82 and on to Aspen and that will take you over Independence Pass (great ride) and on into Buena Vista via 24. (good town to stay in also). Take 285 south to Hwy 50 and go west on 50 to Montrose. This will take you by Blue Mesa reservoir and The Black Canyon of the Gunnison both nice. Go south on 550 all the way to Ouray. Work your time out so you can spend the night in Ouray.

Next day back track 10 miles to Ridgway and go west on 62 to 145 which will take you to Telluride. After a stop in Telluride (don't stay here, overpriced and over rated) get back on 145 which takes you over Lizard Head Pass and on to Delores. Make you mind up here if you want to go to 4 corners and if you do that I would go to Mexican Hat and spend the night and eat at the Swinging Steak. Once you leave there, go back to hit 160 and it will take you to Durango. If you elected not to go to Mexican Hat, you would just go to Durango and make your way on 550 to the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton and back to Ouray for the night. The next day, I like to go back down the Million Dollar Highway the opposite way which looks completely different and go back to Durango and go east on 160 all the way to South Fork. At South Fork you go north on 149 which will lead you to Creede and north to Lake City. Somewhere between Creede and Lake City is where the Rio Grande river begins as a trickle. After Lake City you would continue north to Hwy 50 which is at Blue Mesa reservoir. Go east on 50 until you get to Hwy 9 and go north to Guffey and from Guffey take a really nice road to Cripple Creek, an old mining town and gambling town now. From there you take 67 to hwy 24 and go east and work your way to Pikes Peak and then you can go thru Garden of the Gods by way of Manitou Springs. To stay of the highway you can work your way north along the east side of the mountain range and work your way to Mt Evans. From there you have choices. Take some back roads and come into Grand Co. and come down thru Rocky Mt. National Park which will get you back to Greeley. There are so many choices to make and some great little towns along the way to stay. Check your mileage on this route and adjust for where you would like to stay. This trip I have done multiple times in both directions and does not disappoint. Others can chime in but this covers almost every great road in Colorado. There are some more great roads in southeast Co. such as the road of legends and more. Good luck, pm me if you have questions.
Dammit, Smarty. I was just there in September and only hit about 75% of the roads you mention. Guess I gotta go back and complete the trip!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
We went to Colorado in the summer of 2015 (Late June Specifically). I towed my 5th wheel toy hauler with the glide in the back.

My wife and I set up camp in Manitou Springs (Just minutes east of Colorado Springs) at an RV park called Pikes Peak RV park (pretty original huh?!) The town itself has a some decent restaurants and a few watering holes with local brews.

Just to name a few things to check that are within ear shot are:\

Garden of the Gods
Cave of the Winds
Pikes Peak (14,xxx ft ascent)
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Miramont Castle Museum

We rode to:

Royal Gorge Bridge in Canon City
Aspen, CO via the Independence Highway (a must see)
Pikes Peak Summit (another must see)
Cripple Creek has some good gambling but pretty sleepy during the week
Bishop's Castle near Rye, CO. ( a huge rock castle constructed entirely by one man only. that's right 1, uno, one man only. a real sight to see)

These were just a few things we got to see during our 6 night stay. hope this helps you decide. feel free to ask me any questions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts