Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know any good motorcycle resorts or good places for my girlfriend and I to stay at in colorado? Was thinking of staying in ridgway or telluride or silverton. Any ideas would be mosy helpful.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Looking for a hotel or a campsite? There's a good privately owned motorcycle friendly campground in Cedar Edge, on the south side of Grande Mesa. Aspen Trails- I've camped there 3 times. Restaurant, showers and laundry. There are several National Forest and private campgrounds on 550 between Durango and Silverton but it gets cold up there at night, even in August. Lots of great riding up there, man. You'll love it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Andyman, I see you are also a n Iron Butt member.........are you trying, or have you even seen one of the newest patches, it's called "Heaven to Hell" and goes from the highest paved road in the lower U.S. (just west of Denver) to Badwater, Death Valley, Ca, (the lowest point in the U.S.A. saw this last Fall, and have been waiting for the right time of year......July, I'm guessing.............The thing that sucks, is I live in So Call and have to ride about 1200 miles just to start the ride.....The cool thing is, the last time I checked, there were only 2 names in that category........Anyway, Live2rideguy,have fun, be safe....Skip

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I've got good friends that live in and around Denver......I'll ask one of them about the 3 areas you list. They typically camp.........you looking to camp or hotel it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Telluride will have lodging probably a bit on the high side with a lot of left thrown in, Ridgeway has some good places to stay. You could easily spend a few days based out of Ridgeway hit places like lizard head pass, and the million dollar highway.PM me for more if ya want.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Rode thru there last summer 550 is the most incredible ride from Durango to Montrose we stayed in Durango and plan to spend an extra day or 2 there this summer beautiful country then a great little town at the end of the Million Dollar Hiway Ouray has some cool drinking establishments Ouray Brewery was my fav then we continued to Telluride rode all the way to the end of the road about 1/2 mile of mud and gravel to check out the waterfall with the Mansion beside it on the edge of the cliff we didnt stay there as when you see the place it even looks expensive we headed east from there to St George UT and Zion national park ... I know you will love the ride thats why we are doing it again this summer but in the opposite direction. any of these towns would be worth stay in. our ride was 6 states 3600 miles over 12 days stayed put in Pinetop AZ for 5 days.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,949 Posts
I highly reccomend Rte 550 from Montrose to Durango. The towns of Ouray, Silverton and Telluride are a great ride. If you wander further north. catch the ride from Boulder to Estes Park and up through the Rocky Mt. National Park. Spectacular scenery.

The ski areas are actually quite reasonably priced at that time of year. If you're going to base out of that one area, you should be able to get a condo for the price of a typical hotel room.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Andyman, I see you are also a n Iron Butt member.........are you trying, or have you even seen one of the newest patches, it's called "Heaven to Hell" and goes from the highest paved road in the lower U.S. (just west of Denver) to Badwater, Death Valley, Ca, (the lowest point in the U.S.A. saw this last Fall, and have been waiting for the right time of year......July, I'm guessing.............The thing that sucks, is I live in So Call and have to ride about 1200 miles just to start the ride.....The cool thing is, the last time I checked, there were only 2 names in that category........Anyway, Live2rideguy,have fun, be safe....Skip
I may have to check that out- haven't been on the IBA site for a while. But like tattoos. IBA certifications are addictive. I finished my National Parks Tour in June of 2011 and have been thinking about what will be next. One called RAT (Ride Around Texas) has caught my eye, I think you get 86 hours to do it. I've always wanted to do a 50cc and was considering one after my Yosemite trip in late May/ early June while I'm near a coast. Death Valley isn't far from Yosemite, maybe I'll try that instead, but in reverse. Will have to see if a "Hell to Heaven" is acceptable! Thanks for the tip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts