Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has recently installed a Colton Customs (eBay) King Tour pack. I ordered the full kit with Tour pack, detachable rack, and luggage rack.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/162908702588

The detachable rack doesn’t sit flush with the bottom of the pack. If you look at the pictures I can get four of the holes to line up if I drill through the metal plate mounted on the inside of the pack, using the holes in the plastic as guides but I’ve got that plastic nub in the middle of the pack that doesn’t let it sit flush.

I’m thinking a Dremel will make quick work of it. My concern is if I modify it too much I’ll take away from the structural integrity of the pack and it’ll break. Or I’ll dremel it away and have a huge hole in the bottom of my pack.

IMG_3522.jpg

I know a lot of people recommend going OEM and this is part of the reason. I’m hoping someone else has recently ordered one of these though and can give me some pointers on how to install it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have not used that one. But I would not hesitate to grind off that mold flashing nub.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I can't 100% tell for sure, but that tour pak sure looks like it was made to be used with the old 08 and earlier style tube mounting rack and not the one you have pictured. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't 100% tell for sure, but that tour pak sure looks like it was made to be used with the old 08 and earlier style tube mounting rack and not the one you have pictured. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.
I messaged them on eBay and they assure me that it's the correct rack - I completely agree though that things aren't lining up correctly because I'll have to drill through the metal plate on the inside in the first place.

Did you have to do any modifications to make yours fit when you got it craigffb?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I've never bought a knock off TP, but I've seen the older style HD ones that use the tube type mounting racks and that's what they look like on the bottom.

Anyway you look at it if the two don't line up then something is wrong.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
This is what the bottom of a Rushmore style TP looks like. See how it’s flat.

I don’t see how a flat rack is going to fit on the TP that you posted with the ridges all over it. Not to mention the mounting holes don’t line up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what the bottom of a Rushmore style TP looks like. See how it’s flat.

I don’t see how a flat rack is going to fit on the TP that you posted with the ridges all over it. Not to mention the mounting holes don’t line up.

Agreed, I'm going to have to try to get them to send me the correct rack or just return the whole thing I think.

Sorry for the mixup. I glanced back at my PMs and our conversation was not about Colton Custom's TP but the OEM one. Mixed it up with a different conversation.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Agreed, I'm going to have to try to get them to send me the correct rack or just return the whole thing I think.

Sorry for the mixup. I glanced back at my PMs and our conversation was not about Colton Custom's TP but the OEM one. Mixed it up with a different conversation.

Thanks for the info!
The correct rack isn't going to work unless you have an 08 or later bike. The mounting points for the rack that works are completely different because of the old frame.

This is the style rack for the TP.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detachable-Two-up-Tour-Pak-Pack-Mount-Rack-Harley-97-08-w-docking-hardware-kit/192495634439?hash=item2cd1a24807:g:seIAAOSwOtVavLu6

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was the final outcome? I have an 08 and am half assed looking for a TP.

I ended up using a coping saw blade to cut off the plastic molding nub. I then had to drill holes up through the metal plate. Had it in for a few weeks now and so far it’s been great. The only complaint I have is the rack they sent with it doesn’t match up perfectly with the H-D four point docking kit that was already on the bike. It was shaking a bit but I’ve never worried about it falling off or anything.

I recently put a rubber grommet on and it stopped the shaking that was happening though it’s not the right size so it looks crappy. I’ll either trim this one down or get the correct size to finish it up.

My next thing to tackle with it is how to wire the lights they sent with it. That’s still in the research phase though.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I ended up using a coping saw blade to cut off the plastic molding nub. I then had to drill holes up through the metal plate. Had it in for a few weeks now and so far it’s been great. The only complaint I have is the rack they sent with it doesn’t match up perfectly with the H-D four point docking kit that was already on the bike. It was shaking a bit but I’ve never worried about it falling off or anything.

I recently put a rubber grommet on and it stopped the shaking that was happening though it’s not the right size so it looks crappy. I’ll either trim this one down or get the correct size to finish it up.

My next thing to tackle with it is how to wire the lights they sent with it. That’s still in the research phase though.

Sounds good man, glad you got it figured out! I am debating a china ebay special or a used hd tp. I know what's better, but my wallet doesnt care!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good man, glad you got it figured out! I am debating a china ebay special or a used hd tp. I know what's better, but my wallet doesnt care!
Thats where I was with it. The Coltons Customs was $450 and I had ended up waiting until ebay had a coupon for some percentage off anything. You can't beat that even comparing it to used Packs.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,060 Posts
Motorcycle flea markets and swap meets are you friend for things like TPs and bags. I've seen HD TPs for around two hundred bucks ..... hell, that's the same cost as 4 T-shirts at your local dealer!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts