Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been almost one month since smoking my last cigarette. (Yeah I'm gonna pat my own back a little.) I went the Chantix route along with the wife (she's doing great as well).
Just thought I'd throw this up here if anybody is thinking about doing it and had any questions or needed some encouragement. As a smoker of 30 or so years I know its damn hard to quit but if you want it, do it. It's a great feeling to not be slave to them anymore.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Congrats man! I need to do that myself. Tried the chantix once a while back and didn't work out for me. Guess I just need to man up and put em down. Keep it up!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Congratulations keep up the good work it only get easier from here. I quit cold turkey in 2/2004 and been tobacco free ever since.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Great job. I tried the Chantix myself, but the dragons kept me awake at night. I would have been fine till I read about the side effects. If I hadn't known about em, I would bet a dollar to a freakin donut I wouldn't have had a problem. I didn't mind the "dreams", but they woke me up. I had a BAD case of draggin ass disease after just a few nights of that crap.

So, I will say again, well done to you and your wife. :D

Rowdy

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Congrats man. I quit over 2 years ago and now I wonder why I ever started. I wish I quit years ago. Just wait you will hate the cig smell soon. I can't be around it anymore it makes me sick. Your taste will come back and will enjoy food again.

congrats you deserve it!!!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
good for you!! stay strong.

chantix saved my life. i was a smoker for over 30 years and it helped me quit 2.5 years ago. i still get urges but as soon as they come, they go away.

so glad i'm not a slave to cigarettes anymore too.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Congrats on your courage and your future better health.

Now just choose among black, chrome, engine mods, pipes, stereo, accessories, heated gear for next winter, etc. All these are WAY cheaper than the cigarettes!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all who posted showing their support.

The side effects of the Chantix do indeed suck! I was having what you would call "vivid dreams" that would wake me up every 20 minutes or so and it would take me an hour or so to fall back to sleep and then I would get woke up again! I was probably getting 3 to 4 hours of sleep a night. Doc put me on sleeping pills, and although I would say its less than perfect sleep it seems to be working.

As for money saved, I have $10 a day transferred from my checking to the vacation account a day for our annual cruise to someplace warm for me and the wife.

Cant wait to be off all these pills though(up to 6 a day now that allergies are here) , I feel like my Grandfather!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Congrats! Stick with it. U can do it! The hardest part was the first month for me. I finally quit on my 3rd try cold turkey. Smoked at least a pack a day or 20 yrs. Been quit for about 4 yrs now! No more wheezing when laying in bed and all the other crap along with smoking lol. I must admit, I do have a cigar about once a week with some cold ones!

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
Great job. I tried the Chantix myself, but the dragons kept me awake at night. I would have been fine till I read about the side effects. If I hadn't known about em, I would bet a dollar to a freakin donut I wouldn't have had a problem. I didn't mind the "dreams", but they woke me up. I had a BAD case of draggin ass disease after just a few nights of that crap.

So, I will say again, well done to you and your wife. :D

Rowdy
Boy ain't you a sweet heart Rowdy . I bet Killintime wouldn't have either until ya just told him . lol

Quitting smoking cigs is easy compared to quitting Chantix. Just keep telling yourself your not smoking anymore and you'll win the fight.

W

·
0 Posts
Congratulations! One day at a time is all it takes. Occasionally I still think about them with a cup of coffee but then that soon passes. I quit over 20 years ago cold turkey. Quit drinking before that. I was surprised with the amount of money I had left from my paychecks. 4 Harleys later and still going strong.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Congratulations on quitting!! I did the Chantix route also. Haven't smoked for almost 2 years now.

My only advice, be a little more alert about cravings around the 3 month and 6 month mark (statistically the most common times people who quit have slipped, myself included).
Never say "its just one". At least for me, that's how i started smoking again in the past.

Keep up the great job!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for the support.

I decided that today (against my doctors advise) I'm going to cut back the Chantix to 1 pill a day and see how I feel. I really need to get a solid night of good non-drug induced sleep! I guess we'll see how it goes, I can always go back to the correct dosage if need be.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Thanks again for the support.

I decided that today (against my doctors advise) I'm going to cut back the Chantix to 1 pill a day and see how I feel. I really need to get a solid night of good non-drug induced sleep! I guess we'll see how it goes, I can always go back to the correct dosage if need be.
I just took Chantix once a day (everyone is a little different.)
I would only lose sleep if I took it past 9 AM.

Just mentioning it. Keep up the great job!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just took Chantix once a day (everyone is a little different.)
I would only lose sleep if I took it past 9 AM.

Just mentioning it. Keep up the great job!!
That's something to consider. I waited till noon to take it today, maybe I'll try just the early morning tomorrow. I'll have to see how things go tonight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts