Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have been searching all over southern California for an Avon AV72 but nobody, I mean nobody carries it! All I can find is Dunflops and Michelin Commander IIs for $275 installed. Anyone have experience to share with the Commander IIs? My tire is pretty severely cupped and down to the wear bar. GF is all concerned, and I'd like to change it before riding home. But I can get a AV72 for $149 shipped from DCP and have the spoons etc to change it myself when I get home. I am inclined to that unless ya'll think the Commander IIs are a good investment...

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I love the Com II's. I got more mileage out of them than I did the stock Dunflops and they felt smoother. I would say they're not as soft of a ride as the Avons but you should get more than double the miles.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I run Avons on all 4 of my Harleys. On my Softail I get about 11,000mi on the front and 9-10,000 on the rear. On the Dressers its pretty close to the same minus about 1,000 on the rear, so 8-9,000mi. Love the ride and the increased cornering angles over the Dunlaps.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Rock, I am an avid fan of Avon Tires.
Used them on all my bikes.
Soft and sticky but only get about 9,000 miles out of them,which I must say is no concern to me.
The last set I put on cupped pretty bad on my ride to and from Sturgis last year.
When I got home, I changed them out for the Michelin Comm II's based on what Our Members had to say about them.
I'm not one to worry about high mileage because as far as I'm concerned there's only two tires on a bike and my life is more important then worrying about replacing them.
So far I am very pleased with the Comm II's.
They ride nice and haven't had any problems with them so far.
Hope everything works out for you Brother.
Semper Fi!
Mike U.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies brothers. How do the ComIIs handle in the rain? Ive alway ran Avons on the las 3-4 bikes so am a big fan of them as well. Just arent available out here for some reason

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty much the reason the Avon was the "go to" tire i have on the front. Seems to make sense to put one on the rear too. Think ill just ride her home and have one delivered

·
Registered
470 Posts
That's pretty much the reason the Avon was the "go to" tire i have on the front. Seems to make sense to put one on the rear too. Think ill just ride her home and have one delivered
I am checking around for you. I have a couple of small local shops that carry a good stock of tires. I will hit you up if I come up with any.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Simply put... I've ran both... and then some.

Hands down... Avon's will grip like wet spaghetti... None better for rain or shine... BUT!!!!

They don't last long.

Dunlops are OK... but tons of issues and quality control is hit and miss.

Comm II's are better than Dunlop. They are long lasting but need about 500 miles to really wear in before they are really rain ready. Then they are great.

American Elites... would be my goto choice... then Comm II's... Avons just don't last for the money.

$0.02

:nerd:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for all the input. I got a line on an Avon AV72 from Coyote Tire shop in Alpine thanks to CaliRider. Tire is overnighted from Nevada and will be installed tomorrow afternoon. Came to $265 installed. The 888 would have to be shipped as well I guess. Tire guy said American Elite is another great option. Stuck with the Avon as I am used to and what I am getting and like their performance.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I run Com IIs on both my bikes, long lasting and I've never had any problems with grip in the rain. I know some disagree on the grip but, again I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
How do the ComIIs handle in the rain
I put the Com II's on mine and rode through the worst rain storm I've ever ridden in last year. No worries. They are also wearing very well for me.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks again for all the input. I got a line on an Avon AV72 from Coyote Tire shop in Alpine thanks to CaliRider. Tire is overnighted from Nevada and will be installed tomorrow afternoon. Came to $265 installed. The 888 would have to be shipped as well I guess. Tire guy said American Elite is another great option. Stuck with the Avon as I am used to and what I am getting and like their performance.
Glad it worked out for ya, See you tomorrow!!

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I use metzeler 888 and they seem to work best for me. i have used dunlop,avon, and michelin and they don't handle or wear as well as my 888's. JMO
It seemed to me , the Triple 8 took about 500 miles to break in. After break in, its been a good tire.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm a fan of Dunlops and the longevity of the tire. I want to ride my bike not have it in the shop for two tire changes a year. Dunlop been in the MC tires business for as long as i can remember. I've never had control issues with Dunlops and most miles between tire changes is most important to me as a rider.
I expect at least 20k miles on tires between changes are required.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tire is on. I may try out the Commander IIs next time. Guy at the shop had a few take offs to show, along with oem dunlops. Every Dunlop was cupped pretty bad and Comm IIs with similar mileage werent cupped at all. This is the course of like 10 tires of each brand. So that was an eye opener. He had a few new Avons, but no take offs to compare. He says he see's Com IIs getting 12 to 15k pretty easily.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I also like Avon over the others. You won't find a Avon for the front of your 2015 with a like load rating. May have to mix a bias and a radial to get it done, or run 2 different brands. Avon says they have no plans to produce a 130/60B/19 front bias.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts