Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a whine in primary, thought is was a bearing because inner primary seal was leaking. When I pulled it apart I found this wear on comp. Would this give me the whine like a bad bearing? The noise didn't change when bike was in gear or neutral.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
That wont give you the whinning noise but it does look bad. Check your chain tensioner shoe for wear too while you're in there. You said it doesn't change when in neutral or in gear but does it change at different speeds? Neutral with clutch squeezed or no? What year is the bike?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2011 RG CVO. The noise did not change sitting still in neutral or in gear. The inner brg doesn't look bad but when I spin shaft with the inner primary on I can hear a growl, with primary off no noise spinning shaft. It seems louder sitting still but I can still hear something while riding, doesn't really seem gear related more rpm related

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
If it was me I'd change the bearing anyway since it's already accessible to you. You're already replacing the seal so its already apart. Also if you can get the bearing race pressed I'd replace that too if it feels bad and check the run out of the shaft to make sure that's not causing any problems

Reactions: hawwk

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
It's a 2011 RG CVO. The noise did not change sitting still in neutral or in gear. The inner brg doesn't look bad but when I spin shaft with the inner primary on I can hear a growl, with primary off no noise spinning shaft. It seems louder sitting still but I can still hear something while riding, doesn't really seem gear related more rpm related
That's normal wear on the comp. Designed into it. As in as stamped ramps vs the old machined ramps. How is the fit on the sprocket to the center hub? If that's still good, ad a shim to the spring stack and keep using it.

What shaft are you turning when you hear the noise? Trans input? Sounds like the primary bearing. You'll need to replace the race that is pressed onto the input shaft too. Takes a puller and an installer to do that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Got the new parts tonight and will install tomorrow

1 - 6 of 6 Posts