Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I am getting my heads modified by Fuel Moto , going with the level B CNC heads. My question is how high is too much comp. 10.5 seems high for an air cooled engine. Not going for all out top end performance, just a nice drivable upgrade. They said they will cut to order my desired comp ratio.
What are you guys running. I have a 2012 103 RGC with the Andrews 57h cam upgrade with 32 degrees overlap and an intake closing of 38 degrees after. I live in OK and usually ride 2 up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
10:1 with that cam (57h) and a .030" head gasket at your altitude will give you a corrected CR of 9.3 and 190psi Cranking compression. Myself, I'd do no more than 10:1. Hope your getting a good tune also.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
With a good dyno tune you can go to around 10.2-10.5 with no problem. Anything more and it's a waste of compression with that cam. If you go to 10.5, you will be set up later on for more cam. I'm running stock compression on a 16 RGS with D&D exhaust and really runs good. The 16's automatically have more compression than your stock 103. I'm going to 10:5-1 this winter with a 1.9" intake valve and some head massaging. If I wasn't doing the labor myself, it wouldn't be worth it for the extra hp/tq it produces with that cam. By the way, I'm a big fan of this cam.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
10:1 with that cam (57h) and a .030" head gasket at your altitude will give you a corrected CR of 9.3 and 190psi Cranking compression. Myself, I'd do no more than 10:1. Hope your getting a good tune also.
Good advise for the type of riding you describe.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Don't have the heads cut at tall. Stock heads with a .030 head gasket put you right at 10.15:1 or so. You may want to have them CC the heads and trim to match if they are off, but thats all.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Don't have the heads cut at tall. Stock heads with a .030 head gasket put you right at 10.15:1 or so. You may want to have them CC the heads and trim to match if they are off, but thats all.
If I'm taking the time to take the heads off and new cometic .030 head gaskets, I'm cleaning the ports up and putting new valve guides and seals and the 1.9" intake. That's just me after going to all the trouble.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I meant cut, or decked, for compression. By all means clean up the ports and valves/guides. Just don't deck them for compression. The compression is perfect with what he is doing unless the head porter sets the valves deeper and opens up the chamber volume.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Tune has to match heads, cams and pipe. Hopefully Fuel Moto has a map with your pipe and the 57 cams. Should run very good if he does.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Hi guys, I am getting my heads modified by Fuel Moto , going with the level B CNC heads. My question is how high is too much comp. 10.5 seems high for an air cooled engine. Not going for all out top end performance, just a nice drivable upgrade. They said they will cut to order my desired comp ratio.
What are you guys running. I have a 2012 103 RGC with the Andrews 57h cam upgrade with 32 degrees overlap and an intake closing of 38 degrees after. I live in OK and usually ride 2 up.
I'd place a call to that outfit, and ask to speak with the exact person that is actually performing the work on those heads to get the answers, and yes, 10.5 cr is way to much for that Andrews 57.
We pair that cam up with our, IN-HOUSE, Stage II Heads, that were concieved over 15 years ago, at 10.0 cr.
Smooth, broad, cooling running fun.
Scott

·
EFI tuning and Exhaust Expert
815 Posts
Thank you for reaching out to us yesterday, as noted when we talked we will set the chamber volume to your desired spec. With your combination we would set the head up just a tick over 10:1. Should make for a great runner with your setup. We look forward to working with you.

·
815 Posts
I'd place a call to that outfit, and ask to speak with the exact person that is actually performing the work on those heads to get the answers, and yes, 10.5 cr is way to much for that Andrews 57.
We pair that cam up with our, IN-HOUSE, Stage II Heads, that were concieved over 15 years ago, at 10.0 cr.
Smooth, broad, cooling running fun.
Scott
Scott, you really need to stop the BS. It isnt helping your business, and your forum etiquette is making you look like a child. You are fixated on what you "think" we do here in-house and what we do not.

We are completely transparent and I will offer you the same invitation I offer everyone else, you are completely welcome to come and visit our facility and I would be happy to show you everything we do here firsthand. Yes, we have 4 different machine shops that do various CNC port work for us (some of the best in the industry I may add). However we also have a very nice, well equipped shop and do a wide range of other services day in-day out IN-HOUSE as well, including various machine services.

Get over it, lighten up, move on, and have a prosperous 2016.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Feel free to call us anytime to discuss your concerns, as all channels are open.
Actually it is good for our business..........
You should have taken more caution in your tone about us in regards to any name-calling, so here goes.
You may have many opnions in regards to us, but we have some facts.
6th set of your heads(not really yours) on the way here now, to re-work/resurect, since Labor Day 2015.
These may be some that were being shipped using your customers as a beta-testers??
Don't know?
Why not say 20 sets?
Why not say 2 sets?
Both of those statements would be a lie, but 6, count 'em, 6 sets, since just before Labor Day 2015.
That is not an opinion.
Bottom line, the folks are happy..................now.
Hope you have a great 2016 as well! :)

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Here is a really good comparison with the Andrews 57H cam, SE 585 cam, and the S&S 585 cam. The dyno si with these 3 cams two different pipes and on a 110 with SE CNC heads. It shows just how well the 57H cam works against the others.

You may have to scroll up a bit.
SE 585 cams.

·
815 Posts
Nothing to discuss Scott, i'm not the one making claims about competitors or anything you or your company have or have not done. Just another day on an internet forum...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts