Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ridden both - Tail of the Dragon AND the Devil's Highway (Arizona) who cna dcomapre the two? If so - what did you think?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I done the TOD but I have not done the Devil's Highway yet but IMO the TOD is not a big deal and I would never go out of my way to go there again. The TOD is a short road which is full of assholes trying to go faster then they should and between the asshole and the curves you can't enjoy the scenery. There is a lot of better roads to ride in that area that are more enjoyable then the TOD and for the life of me I don't even know how the TOD could ever get on Americas best top MC roads list. I am planning to do the Devil's Highway this spring weather permitting, I did the Million Dollar Highway last fall and it was great.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I have ridden them both

I have ridden the Tail of the Dragon, and the Devil's Highway. In my opinion, the TOD is like a drag strip compared to the Devil's Highway.

There are a couple of places on Devil's Highway that have signs that have speed limit signs that say 15 MPH next 10 miles. TOD is 11 miles. I think Rt 491 (the old 666) took me about 4 hours to ride with nobody in front of me.

TOD is more commercially known, and there are photographers, t shirts, etc, but 666 has several elevation changes, some great vistas, and more technically demanding. When I was done with 666, I took the TOD sticker off of my windshield. TOD is crowded, 666, not so much. I think I saw 7 bikes that day, of course it is high elevation in places there is snow. I found the TOD a blast, until I did 666. 666 was difficult and was glad when it was behind me. Million Dollar Highway is on tap for my trip to SWIII

This was in May 2012, Getting ready to drop in on 666, coming in from the north.

Taking a break

Thinking I was just about done, I pulled over to take a picture of the road on the other side of this ravine. I was 1/2 way through, and some of these swithbacks were intense.

TOD Drag Strip

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've ridden both. TOD is something I guess everyone should do at least once. In my opinion, it's fun, something to check off of your to-do list. Having the photographers on the road is nice. But there are a lot of idiots riding beyond their ability, and others who pose for the pics (dangerous). It's congested at times. I have ridden TOD multiple times, will ride it again because of it's location and proximity to so much good riding (I'll be up there again in June). On the other hand, I agree there are other roads that are nicer, longer, and less congested, like Moonshiner's 28, the Skyway... I can't even remember them all.

I rode The Devil's Highway last May as part of an epic-for-me trip out west (Orlando to Cali / Vegas / Grand Canyon north and south / Zion / Bryce / Million Dollar Hwy...), and it was definitely a highlight. My thoughts on The Devil's Highway: Scenic. No traffic for us. Not commercialized. Nice elevation changes. Maybe it surprised me because I expected it to be more challenging (I was pretty intimated the first time I rode the Dragon). I found it really pleasant.

If distance wasn't an issue, I'd ride The Devil's Highway again, and spend more time out west. The Dragon is closer for me, so I'll end up in east TN and western NC a lot more.

Didn't notice where you are from before I started responding. If you want to muddy the waters even more, take a look at The Snake. I think it's US 421. I found parts of that one more challenging than The Dragon. It's longer, less commercialized, and can be added in to a trip that includes the other roads I mentioned.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I ride the TOD about once a year only because of the proximity, and it's part of a loop that can include several different routes. it's full of a variety of riders,a lot in which think they own the place and are wannabe Moto Gp riders in their mind.You got other vehicles cheating the double yellow line and a few that have no business on this road going barely fast enough not to fall over.Try and stay off during the weekend and you will have a more enjoyable experience.Other than that I kike it,never been to Devils highway though.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Riding the playground, US 421 (the snake) and stopping at the country store in the middle, is way more enjoyable than TOD. There are 4 mountain ranges to ride in a day and way less traffic. I found it more challenging, narrower roads, tighter switchbaks, no big vehicles and a better sticker design lol. Plus there are at least a weeks worth of roads in that area to enjoy before you were on the same road twice.
I've never had the good fortune yet to ride the south west but it is on my bucket list once i retire.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
372 Posts
I done the TOD but I have not done the Devil's Highway yet but IMO the TOD is not a big deal and I would never go out of my way to go there again. The TOD is a short road which is full of assholes trying to go faster then they should and between the asshole and the curves you can't enjoy the scenery. There is a lot of better roads to ride in that area that are more enjoyable then the TOD and for the life of me I don't even know how the TOD could ever get on Americas best top MC roads list. I am planning to do the Devil's Highway this spring weather permitting, I did the Million Dollar Highway last fall and it was great.

Update...

Did the TOD a few weeks ago... those assholes are still there..! :grin:

---

·
Registered
518 Posts
TOD - shorter, greener, cooler, more technical. Green scenery, rivers. Much more crowded, especially on weekends and holidays. LEOs everywhere. Lots of roads just as good in W.NC and E. TN IMHO.

Devil - Much longer, hotter, dryer, very little traffic, more profound elevation changes. Pavement was not as good in 2010. Beautiful scenery in a SW sort of way.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The TOD is a short road which is full of assholes trying to go faster then they should and between the asshole and the curves you can't enjoy the scenery.
The Tail Of The Dragon is not meant to enjoy the scenery. Cherohala Skyway, sure, Dragon, not so much. I've ridden the Dragon, 50 times and enjoyed everyone of them, rode the Pig Trail in Arkansas, Spearfish Canyon more times than I can count, the Great River road along the Mississippi is a lot of fun, the Devils Highway I've only been on twice.

Thing is there all nice roads for different reasons, however I wouldn't try and dissuade anyone from taking advantage of any of them.

Wade

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have been on both, TOD is way over rated, but you have to do it at least once, the real fun began on the DH just a beautiful run.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts