Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 and when I hit the start switch at times I have this ungodly noise. I was at an old country cycle shop and he told me on another customer he replaced 3 starters before he focused in on the compensation sprocket. Lf anyone has any feedback please let me know. I'm heading to the Harley dealer Sunday to try to get this replaced under my extended warranty.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Bikes with the 96" motors which I believe 07 to 11ish bikes have had known compensator problems. And yes bad comp will take out the starter too. These bikes mentioned had basically carry over compansator parts from the earlier 88" which are too weak to hold up to the added power the 96"ers made. They upgraded them with the Screaming Eagle versions which come stock on the 103" amd 110" bikes. Some folks had the dealer replace them with the SE comp under warranty

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Your warranty should cover it no problem. Like rlaf75 said, I'd pay the extra to up grade to the SE version .

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Costs a TON less to put in compression releases auto or manual than even one Starter. There's a reason why the 103's come from the factory with compression releases. They need it with this '06 and up POS compensator.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My compensator shit the bed the end of the season last year. Going to get it replaced on Friday . Freeking Harley junk.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I'm on my second compensator, the one I have now is the SE, it's starting to make that terrible noise sometimes on start up, when I change again I'm going to something other than HD. I may go to the solid one from Vulcanworks, I looked at the Compensavor but don't know if I want to go that route.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I'm on my second compensator, the one I have now is the SE, it's starting to make that terrible noise sometimes on start up, when I change again I'm going to something other than HD. I may go to the solid one from Vulcanworks, I looked at the Compensavor but don't know if I want to go that route.

Sent from my SPH-L710
+1. I'm in the same boat. Seriously considering the Vulcanworks, but still holding out to see if Hoban Bros. come out with theirs.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I went with and have friends that have gone with Vulcanworks Solid Sprocket.

I am a fan and so are those that I know that have converted.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I went with and have friends that have gone with Vulcanworks Solid Sprocket.

I am a fan and so are those that I know that have converted.
I went with a solid sprocket from Evolution Industries. Went with their Diamond Terminator clutch (awesome!) and a SE manual adjuster. No issues here whatsoever.

·
Registered
50 Posts
34T Motor Sprocket Conversion, 06+ Dynas, 07+ Softails, Dressers- #4513 can someone thats has done the conversion tell me if this is the one from Vulcanworks that will work on a 12 roadglide?

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
34T Motor Sprocket Conversion, 06+ Dynas, 07+ Softails, Dressers- #4513 can someone thats has done the conversion tell me if this is the one from Vulcanworks that will work on a 12 roadglide?
That is the right part number. I went to install mine last weekend and something wasn't right. The sprocket slides on too far. It needs some type of spacer between the stator rotor and the sprocket. I emailed and called Vulkanworks, but no response yet.

·
Registered
618 Posts
On the Vulcan Engineering sprocket the spring housing has to be removed. Removed mine with a dremel. It makes a difference. They have a busy shop. I called a number of times before I got a person. Tell them the problem and they'll help. Not a bike shop, it's a machine shop.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
50 Posts
On the Vulcan Engineering sprocket the spring housing has to be removed. Removed mine with a dremel. It makes a difference. They have a busy shop. I called a number of times before I got a person. Tell them the problem and they'll help. Not a bike shop, it's a machine shop.

is ther any way you can give me a pic or something of the spring housing

·
Registered
671 Posts
I went with the BDL (CS-34A) compensator over the winter.. I've only put about 3k miles on it so far (little heart attack cut into riding time). But so far it is working out real well.. It's a totally different design from the conventional HD compensator.. It's a sprocket on a threaded shaft.. Here's the link at BDL if anyone is interested. http://www.beltdrives.com/chcomp.html

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Looking forward to getting more updates, I hope you're doing well and feeling better. Also curious, what was the cost?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Looking forward to getting more updates, I hope you're doing well and feeling better. Also curious, what was the cost?

Thanks.. I'm doing very well.. Was a little lucky in that there was no permanent damage and the ole ticker is back to normal..
You can find the BDL compensator for less than $200.. A quick search showed one for 189 at motoparthub.com..

Note.. It was easy to replace.. just pull the old one and the clutch pack at the same time.. and slide them both back on.. I talked to BDL about recommended assembly lube.. and they highly recommend Anti-Seize on everything.. That stuff is messy, but stays put..

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
First off, it is not the starter itself that goes out, but the starter clutch. If you are a do-it-yourself person, big difference. Clutch costs a lot less than a new starter, but from a labor perspective, it is more labor. (take out the starter, take apart the starter, put in new clutch, put starter back together, put starter back in).

Second, get the latest 2014 Compensator. Even the SE Compensator is crap. It can stand the load, but is sadly lacking in lubrication, so it is a disposable part (like the starter clutch). The 2014 Compensator is basically the same as the SE, but with better lubrication so it does it's job without killing itself. The 2014 is the one with the glued on plastic oil cup (if you are upgrading an earlier than 2014 bike).

Third, what a lot of folks will think is a bad starter is actually a bad compensator. Starter turns the clutch, clutch moves the primary chain, primary chain moves the outer ring of compensator, compensator inner ring turns the engine. Engine starts and moves compensator inner ring to other side, bad compensator makes that sound REALLY bad. If the compensator sucks, it can make the starter look (sound) bad.

I have a 2009 that had (originally) a 96" motor (bored it out to a 103). I replaced stock (REALLY BAD POS) Compensator with the POS SE Compensator. That eventually went FUBAR so I replaced it with the 2014 Compensator. That one really works well (so far, knock on wood, 4000 miles in). I can even start in 3rd gear (oops) and it does not rattle. Had to take it off this past weekend to replace the shift lever (#$#$$&^$&$&^$#^) and it came out soaked in oil, unlike the POS SE one (that one came out dry).

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
First off, it is not the starter itself that goes out, but the starter clutch. If you are a do-it-yourself person, big difference. Clutch costs a lot less than a new starter, but from a labor perspective, it is more labor. (take out the starter, take apart the starter, put in new clutch, put starter back together, put starter back in).

Second, get the latest 2014 Compensator. Even the SE Compensator is crap. It can stand the load, but is sadly lacking in lubrication, so it is a disposable part (like the starter clutch). The 2014 Compensator is basically the same as the SE, but with better lubrication so it does it's job without killing itself. The 2014 is the one with the glued on plastic oil cup (if you are upgrading an earlier than 2014 bike).

Third, what a lot of folks will think is a bad starter is actually a bad compensator. Starter turns the clutch, clutch moves the primary chain, primary chain moves the outer ring of compensator, compensator inner ring turns the engine. Engine starts and moves compensator inner ring to other side, bad compensator makes that sound REALLY bad. If the compensator sucks, it can make the starter look (sound) bad.

I have a 2009 that had (originally) a 96" motor (bored it out to a 103). I replaced stock (REALLY BAD POS) Compensator with the POS SE Compensator. That eventually went FUBAR so I replaced it with the 2014 Compensator. That one really works well (so far, knock on wood, 4000 miles in). I can even start in 3rd gear (oops) and it does not rattle. Had to take it off this past weekend to replace the shift lever (#$#$$&^$&$&^$#^) and it came out soaked in oil, unlike the POS SE one (that one came out dry).
A bad compensator will wipe the starter out. My 09 completely stock 96" with only a stage 1 A/C and slip ons with V&H fuel pack had the state go out the same time the comp did. I replaced the stock POS comp with the SE version before I rebuilt the starter. Put it all back together with SE comp and with the stock untouched starter and the same thing was happening. I took the starter out and rebuilt it if you will with new clutch and reinstalled and no more noise since with well over 15k miles. Maybe it was one hell of a coincidence that they both went out at the same time but I highly doubt that. One will damage the other. I believe the weak compensator, with it kicking back and all the other stuff it does will ruin the starter

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just called dark horse, they are still working on their unit, I'm seeing lots of bad reports on the bdl unit. I've for a 113 and my comp is getting noisy, hate to drop some cash on the bdl or se unit yet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts